43 y/o NOOB, first cycle. I appreciate any advice

cavorite

Reaction score
I just left the US to live in Thailand. I have a lot of time on my hands now, so I want to focus on fitness and making improvements to my lifestyle.

6'1" 170, decent body fat, been training for years. Just kind of skinny. Total noob to steroids except for what I've read online.

I'm keeping it simple and starting on 500 test/week (250 x 3.5 days). I have Arimidex and HCG standing by in case I need them (although I'm not sure how I will know I need them – please advise if you can).

I'm starting week 3 today. I've noticed increased mental calmness and libido so far. No issues so far apart from a little drowsiness recently.

So, off to a food start. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for having me here.

MrBafner

Reaction score
Hey welcome .. looks like you got a pretty good plan, well done.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
HCG is a "if you need it" drug. It's used to keep your HPTA Axis online during your cycle, with the hope that you'll bounce back more quickly since you won't be in as much of a shutdown.

Use it alongside your cycle, don't use it after your cycle ends. Wait 3-4 weeks, start your PCT.

You didn't mention that you had any PCT drugs. You do have them, right?

cavorite

Reaction score
So I should go ahead and start with HCG? I'm trying to keep it "test only" until I get my bloodwork back next week. I read that HCG can affect estradiol, so I want to get my baseline numbers first.

Yes, I have nolva, clomid, arimidex, and aromasin on hand. Is there anything missing? PCT is a ways off so I'm not focusing on it at the moment.

I'm getting ahead of myself, now, but if this cycle goes well I might just stay on TRT indefinitely. This seems to be helping my energy levels and mood. I have ED problems anyways, so at 43 I don't have a lot to lose.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
So I should go ahead and start with HCG? I'm trying to keep it "test only" until I get my bloodwork back next week. I read that HCG can affect estradiol, so I want to get my baseline numbers first.

Yes, I have nolva, clomid, arimidex, and aromasin on hand. Is there anything missing? PCT is a ways off so I'm not focusing on it at the moment.

I'm getting ahead of myself, now, but if this cycle goes well I might just stay on TRT indefinitely. This seems to be helping my energy levels and mood. I have ED problems anyways, so at 43 I don't have a lot to lose.
I started trt at 40 best thing I ever did

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Might as well wait for bloodwork then. That's fine.

Now is the exact time you should be figuring out your PCT!!!

Of course you feel better, you're on a cycle. That tends to happen. 😏 The good feelings might fade away as time goes on, as your body adjusts to its new normal. Happens to me, and many others. I just feel "normal" now, even though before I started my TRT I felt like shit. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I'm in a better place now, I just no longer feel it.

TRT for life is a medical/personal decision between you and your Dr. There are downsides too, do your research, talk to your Dr.

Last edited:

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I love Thailand!
Looks like a good first cycle too

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Cycle looks good I wanna address the 6’1” and 170 pounds and been training for years. How many years is years? What’s your diet and training like? End goals?Getting that dialed in will get you the most from your cycle..welcome to the ug!!

Last edited:

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Bloodwork is the best indicator of if you need the AI. I was prescribed HCG with my TRT protocol and I rarely take it because it causes estradiol issues that Anastrozole can't even deal with.

One of the general indicators that gets me to take the AI is fluid retention in my lower legs/calf area. If my socks cause indentions or I get swelling, I went too long without it.

cavorite

Reaction score
Cycle looks good I wanna address the 6’1” and 170 pounds and been training for years. How many years is years? What’s your diet and training like? End goals?Getting that dialed in will get you the most from your cycle..welcome to the ug!!

That's a good point. I've been going to the gym most days for decades and don't have a ton to show for it. Last year I used a trainer and nutritionist 2x/week to address that very thing – and added about 20/lbs muscle and 15/lbs fat. I went keto to lost the fat, and lost most of the muscle along with it. I'm trying to avoid that happening again.

My goal is to be ripped, not big. I'm generally low carb (though not during this cycle). Normally I would just go full keto at the end, but I still don't understand where I went wrong earlier.

cavorite

Reaction score
Bloodwork is the best indicator of if you need the AI. I was prescribed HCG with my TRT protocol and I rarely take it because it causes estradiol issues that Anastrozole can't even deal with.

One of the general indicators that gets me to take the AI is fluid retention in my lower legs/calf area. If my socks cause indentions or I get swelling, I went too long without it.

Something is definitely making me drowsy lately, but I don't want to guess if it's low or high e2. I'll just have to wait for bloodwork to come back sometime mid next week. Hopefully I figure be able to identify the problem by feeling eventually.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That's a good point. I've been going to the gym most days for decades and don't have a ton to show for it. Last year I used a trainer and nutritionist 2x/week to address that very thing – and added about 20/lbs muscle and 15/lbs fat. I went keto to lost the fat, and lost most of the muscle along with it. I'm trying to avoid that happening again.

My goal is to be ripped, not big. I'm generally low carb (though not during this cycle). Normally I would just go full keto at the end, but I still don't understand where I went wrong earlier.
The problem with TRUE keto, is that it's also a low protein diet, at least in terms of bodybuilding. We need more protein than the average person, due to our constant breakdown and rebuilding of our muscle tissue.

You knock down a wall, but don't have enough bricks to rebuild it, well it's going to be a smaller wall. Same holds true for your muscle tissue.

Ever try carb cycling, low/no carbs on off days and moderate/high carbs on training days? Keep your body using different fuel sources for different days, staying metabolically flexible?

cavorite

Reaction score
I went full-on zero carbs and into a steep caloric deficit to get it over with quickly. My trainer actually came up with that idea.

Do you recommend carb cycling during cycle, or just for cutting at the end?

I basically want to add 10-15 lbs of muscle this cycle and then get body fat very low at the end. Does that sounds reasonable?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Carb cycling is a very reasonable method, but not the only one that works, for both gaining or cutting.

The second part, no. Use your gaining cycle to gain while keeping bodyfat gain at a reasonable level. If you start to gain too quickly, simply dial back the Cals A LITTLE to get back in line.

At the conclusion of the cycle, go on a 2+ month maintenence period, basically solidifying the muscle and getting your body used to the new weight. Then after that, work on stripping off the bodyfat slowly, NO MORE CRASH DIETING!!!

Keep it separate distinct periods, or you'll more than likely wind up spinning your wheels.

You are 6'1" and only 170 lbs. You have an EASY thirty pounds that you can add to your frame before I'd even worry about being too fat though. Don't get lost in your own head.

cavorite

Reaction score
Just for a visual aid, this is me about 4 years ago. I would be pretty happy to get back to this look, but with more muscle. (I look similar now, but with higher body fat).

Attachments

• 218960169_518561046085230_4465742407150617404_n.jpg
    218960169_518561046085230_4465742407150617404_n.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else living in Thailand. Welcome to the forum!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just for a visual aid, this is me about 4 years ago. I would be pretty happy to get back to this look, but with more muscle. (I look similar now, but with higher body fat).
There are absolutely no drugs needed to look like this, plus a little bigger.

I'm not against the drugs, obviously, but if you can't hit that goal naturally, your problem is either training, nutrition, or lifestyle....or an undisclosed medical condition.

cavorite

Reaction score
Does this look normal for 3 weeks into a cycle? Test E 500mg (2 x 3.5D)

I popped an Aramidex 0.25/mg 36 hours before this test at the first sign of sore nipples, so the actual Estradiol level is probably higher. I'm not taking any Aromatase inhibitors now per the advice I've received.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.43.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.43.32 PM.png
    620 KB · Views: 17

New Threads