A journal.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
My training and diet are by no means "on point", but I'm doing this for accountability and to track progress. I've been lifting for about a year, and I'm about 5 weeks out from my first strongman competition. The events include an Overhead Medley, Max deadlift, Hand over Hand truck pull, Crucifix Hold, and a Loading Medley.

Height: 6'
Weight: 258

Breakfast:
100 g oatmeal w/ 1.5 scoop whey protein

30 minutes Pre-workout:
Rad-140
Reign energy drink

Training:
Strict press - 45x10, 95x5, 120x3, 160x3, 160x3, 165x3, 165x3, 135xAMRAP
Incline bench - 135x10, 135x10, 135x8, 135x6
Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 50'sx8, 50'sx8, 50'sx8
Lateral raises w/2 second hold - 25x5, 25x5, 25x5
Overhead tricep extensions - 55x12, 55x12, 55x10, 55x10

Post workout meal:
Subway double chicken, no cheese, Italian bread, spinach, peppers, onions, sweet onion sauce

Lunch 1:
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
spinach
1/2 red pepper
Barbeque sauce

Lunch 2:
Same as Lunch 1

Final meal:
2 cups Oikos Triple Zero
Blueberries
1/2 scoop protein
1/4 cup cashews

I'm still learning alot every day. Any criticisms are welcome.

sfw509

Reaction score
Nice work. I'll be following along. I think its awesome your doing a competition. Its a great way to learn and push yourself as well as meet some great people.

Keep us posted and ask questions. A lot of guys on here can help get specific areas dialed if you hit a plateau.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Nice!!!

Good luck in your comp.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone.

Breakfast:
100 g oatmeal w/ 1.5 scoop whey protein

30 minutes Pre-workout:
Rad-140
300 mg caffeine

Training:
Today was a rest day, but I still got in some cardio.
1.5 hours of walking.

Post workout meal:
160 g chicken breast
2 bananas
1 chocolate chip cookie

Lunch 1:
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
spinach
1/2 red pepper
Barbeque sauce
1 banana

Lunch 2:
Same as Lunch 1

Final meal (haven't eaten yet, but I don't feel like taking my laptop home from work to log it) :
2 cups Oikos Triple Zero
1 Cliff Builder's protein bar (20 g protein)
1/4 cup cashews

10:30 PM:
250 mg Testosterone enanthate

I think I'm going to use this opportunity to start journaling about my personal life too. Get some feelings out of me to a bunch of strangers who have no idea who tf I am. I'm slightly sad today. Not really sad, but torn. I've been a member of Narcotics Anonymous for a few years now, and have lived a life of total abstinence from all mind changing, mood altering substances for 20 months. I even work as a recovery coach, a person who assists others with how to live a life of recovery. I started feeling some guilt when I started using PED's about 2 months ago, but I justified my using because PED's aren't intoxicating. Last night I smoked some Delta-8 THC I bought at a gas station.

I had been thinking about trying it for sometime now. Over the course of my time working as a recovery coach, and being a sober individual in general, I have learned that I define my own recovery. My main qualm with weed was mainly with the people and the lifestyle it led me to, so if I can buy it legally and use it by myself then why not? I can still be in recovery from hard drug use and live a life of recovery, I make my own choices in life. Just like my choice to use PED's, I can choose to use responsibly if I chose to.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll have one more thing to be dishonest about, my use of PED's and marijuana. However it was my girlfriend's reaction which is what makes me upset. She is also in recovery, she doesn't adhere to any 12 step fellowship, and she was open to recreational marijuana use... until recently I guess. My boss actually has started to introduce her to more people in recovery, and started inviting her to meetings. I did not know that she changed her tune about it, and she was severely upset over it. It was a whole conversation and a half about how I ruined my sobriety, which I really did not think it'd matter to her but the 12 step-absolute sobriety thing got into her head over the past few weeks.

After a long discussion about our future, I've decided to leave it be. My girlfriend's field of work that she wishes to pursue is NOT tolerant of any drug use, to say the least. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable in any way, she was just in a pretty horrific car accident a few months ago. Problem is, now I've triggered her in ways I didn't think I would. Had no idea it would be an issue, and now she doesn't have any of her support that she has gotten close to that she can process this out with.

That's the only reason I feel bad. I'm okay with this slight bit of dishonesty in my life. I've come to realize that I'm a good person, life isn't always black and white. Just because I'm dishonest with these 2 aspects of my life, as long as I still hold close to me, and adhere to my morals, I am perfectly accepting of myself. I'm not letting this relapse get me down, because I'm not even considering it a relapse. I'd be perfectly open to using the substance if it were in the cards for me, but it's not.

Regardless, life is still good. The feelings will pass.

sfw509

Reaction score
First off, great profile picture.

Second, congratulations on the steps you have taken and personal growth. I hear you saying you have made great progress and have made the commendable decision to help others with their struggles. You seem grounded and in the right place with the belief that your self worth is not linked to your sobriety.

Its unfortunate your girlfriend does not have the support she may need at the moment. Encourage her to seek that help out, but only she can make that decision for herself. Hopefully you two can find a common ground or agree to disagree on your definitions of recovery. In the end, you are not responsible for her happiness. Live your life as you see fit.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Is coffee out? You said no mood altering substances.... Fukk that!!!
Eh, alot of people who attend 12 step meetings are chain smoking caffeine addicts so that part never really made sense to me. I always thought they were referring to steroids because "roid rage", "mood changing". Idk, either way I like NA and everything I've learned, but I'm not going to continue to be guilt tripped and brainwashed into thinking that I'll relapse on heroin and ruin my life if I'm slightly dishonest about some things.

I'm letting it go and putting this episode behind me though.

Reactions: CJ

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
First off, great profile picture.

Second, congratulations on the steps you have taken and personal growth. I hear you saying you have made great progress and have made the commendable decision to help others with their struggles. You seem grounded and in the right place with the belief that your self worth is not linked to your sobriety.

Its unfortunate your girlfriend does not have the support she may need at the moment. Encourage her to seek that help out, but only she can make that decision for herself. Hopefully you two can find a common ground or agree to disagree on your definitions of recovery. In the end, you are not responsible for her happiness. Live your life as you see fit.
Thanks man, back at ya with the profile picture.

I appreciate your input, and all is well with me and her. She respects my decision, but I'm also respecting hers by continuing to abstain from thc. I'll compromise the intoxication to have her feel safe and comfortable. I get the relaxation and anxiety relief benefits from cbd, so I'm just sticking with that.

sfw509

Reaction score
Glad to hear, bro.

I have heard nothing but positives about cbd but i have yet try it. I need to do some more research and take the plunge.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Congrats on maintaining your sobriety. As far as CBD or delta THC it’s all legal whether you smoke it chew it or let it sit under your tongue for 30 seconds. Like others have stated caffeine and nicotine are mood altering substances so technically is that relapsing as well? I’d say as long as you don’t think this will lead you back to your cross then I think it’s an okay thing to do. When these drugs prevent us from functioning in our day to day lives then it’s a problem. Stay focused. Stay sober.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Breakfast:
60 g cream of wheat w/ 1 scoop whey protein
~60 grams of chicken breast
1 banana

30 minutes Pre-workout:
20 mg Rad-140
300 mg caffeine

Training:
Deadlift - 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, 355x4, 355x4, 355x4, 355x4, 410x2, 455x2(PR!), 355x10
Barbell Row - 185x8, 185x8, 185x8, 185x8
Lat Pull Down - (pronated grip) 145x8, 145x8, (supinated grip) 145x8, 145x8
Stiff Leg Deadlift - 185x8, 185x8, 185x8, 185x8
Face Pulls - 60x12, 60x12, 60x12, 60x12+
EZ Bar Bicep Curl - 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 75x8

Post workout meal:
2 cups white rice
160 g chicken breast
1 banana

Lunch 1:
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
spinach
1/2 red pepper
1 chocolate chip cookie

Lunch 2:
Same as Lunch 1 (w/o cookie)

Final meal (haven't eaten yet, but I don't feel like taking my laptop home from work to log it) :
2 cups Oikos Triple Zero
1 Quest protein bar (20 g protein)
1 cup cashews 😬

Life is good. I still feel a few pangs of guilt. The topic of my clean time was brought up a few times today and I had to lie about it. I guess my boss is planning a huge event for me and a few other people's clean date anniversaries. Other than that though it was a completely fine day. Very busy day at work. It's never a dull moment working with recovering drug addicts and alcoholics.

I'm fucking SIKED about that deadlift PR. I'm hoping to pull over 500 when competition day rolls around. My max was 415 a month ago, so I'd say I'm well on track. My girlfriend just bought a used BMW which I've been making fun of her for considering. I call her "boujee" because she has extravagant tastes in things. She got a good fucking deal on it though so I can't even hate.

I'm content.

Edit: Oh and I finished applying for school and got my transcripts sent in. Sports and exercise science. So that's cool too.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Congrats on the PR. Love that you decided to participate more because I was about to send you a PM telling you I’d love to hear more from you.

Kudos.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Congrats on the PR. Love that you decided to participate more because I was about to send you a PM telling you I’d love to hear more from you.

Kudos.
Thanks man, i plan on sticking around. I'm liking it here

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Breakfast: (Idk what was up with this meal. Woke up hungry af at like 4 o'clock in the morning and found myself eating this.)
100+ g oatmeal w/ 1 scoop whey protein
2 cups of Light + Fit yogurt. (about 20 g protein)

30 minutes Pre-workout:
15 mg Rad-140
2 rice cakes
small handful of cashews, probably barely more than 1/8th a cup.
300 mg caffeine

Training:
Today was a rest day. Just some cardio. I really need to try to get in some type of strongman type conditioning. Sled pull. Push my car around a parking lot or something. Actually gonna stop in the store and grab some rope this weekend to see if I can jimmy-rig up something up to practice a hand-over-hand seated truck pull. Oh and I need to pick up sand for my new sandbag.

1.5 hours cycling at a decent intensity.

Post workout meal:
"Cheat meal?" Not sure if I'd classify it as one. I'm sure the macro's are ridiculous, but I've been eating fairly light this week.
Meat lover's skillet from a local diner. 2 eggs, some bacon, some sausage, and some peppers on top of hash browns.
4 pancakes w/syrup
4 sausage patties

Lunch 1:
80 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
1 Quest protein bar

Lunch 2:
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
spinach
1 red pepper

Final meal:
2 cups Oikos Triple Zero
1 scoop whey protein

Pretty busy, paperwork filled day. Started off weird with that strange mid night snack craving. Then I woke up and didn't want to eat more, so I sat around being super indecisive on what to do. In the end I ended up listening to a Mark Bell podcast with Ed Coan talking about the benefits of active recovery and GPP work, so I just ate some rice cakes to fight the hunger pangs and hopped on my bike.

Work's either very interesting, or very boring. Today was very boring, which I'm okay with. Got some paperwork done. Read some Practical Strength Training for Strength Programming. Read a section in there which really put into perspective for me about the aspect of fatigue in an elite level athlete vs. a novice. Just getting ready for a long ass day tomorrow. But it is what it is 🤷‍♂️.

sfw509

Reaction score
Nice job on that pr. And congrats on school.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Breakfast:
90 g cream of wheat w/2 scoop whey protein.

Lunch 1:
1 Turkey w/swiss sandwich on cranberry bread (50 g protein, 380 cal.)
1 Quest protein bar (20 g protein)

Lunch 2:
1 Turkey w/swiss sandwich on cranberry bread (50 g protein, 380 cal.)
1 One protein bar (20 g protein)

Pre-workout:
Crack Pre-workout (300 mg caffeine, 90 mg DMAA)

Training:
Saturday I usually reserve for sandbag training and training for loading events, but to day was a bit different.
Log clean and press - 50x10, 100x5, 120x3, 150x1, 170x1, 190x1, 200x1 (fail), 200x1 (fail)
Axel bar clean and press - 120x5, 140x3, 140x1, 140x1, 160x1, 180x1 (fail), 180x1 (fail)
Neutral Bench press w/ Kabuki Kadillac Bar - 135x10, 185x10, 205x8, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
Dumbell Shoulder press - 55'sx10, 60'sx10, 60'sx10, 60'sx8
Farmer's Hold w/ trap bar - 135x ~30 sec., 225x ~20 sec., 315x~20 sec., 315x~15 sec., 315x~20 sec.

Post work-out meal:
2 Arby's Turkey Gyro (No tzatziki sauce) w/barbeque (50 g protein.)

20 mg Rad 140 when I got home

Final meal:
2 Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt w/ 1 scoop whey protein.

Man today was busy as fuck. Had to take a trip to a city an hour away for work reasons. But it was good though. I'm happy with the outcome of the situation. however, the nutrition today was not on point at fuckin all. I did my best with gas station food as far as keeping macro's somewhat in check. Visited my girlfriend on the way back. Decided to check around for powerlifting gym's since I was out of town. I train at a basic ass gym with mostly older people, but it has a power rack and a barbell so I'm good.

Found a pretty sweet powerlifting gym that had some strongman equipment, fuckin score. I was hoping for a space to do some farmer's walks or push a sled, some sort of conditioning. Turns out the didn't have too much strongman equipment. Tons of legit powerlifting stuff, and still a nice little gym none the less. It was my first time touching a log implement, so I had to push the limit. Pretty happy with the outcome, and I got to practice the continental clean and press.

Pretty sweet day if I say so.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Breakfast:
130 g oatmeal w/ 1 scoop whey protein

10:30 AM:
250 mg Testosterone enanthate

Meal 1:
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice
1 red pepper
Asparagus

Meal 2:
Fruit Salad w/ blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, & strawberry.
4 hamburger patties (no bun)
1 hotdog (no bun)

20 mg Rad 140

Meal 3:
1 banana
160 g chicken breast
1 cup white rice

Final meal:
2 cups Oikos Triple Zero
100 g beef liver

I'm bumping up the calories. I'm also going to replace most of the whey protein I'm eating with real foods. Had to have some burgers for 4th of July (Murica), but I do have ground beef to replace on of my chicken meals. Plus some eggs to replace the whey in the morning, and beef liver for at night. I just really like the nutrient profile of an organ meat like liver. Rest day today, tried to take today completely a rest day. Did take a small bike ride and got some shopping done.

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
Breakfast:
130 g oatmeal w/ 1 scoop whey protein

30 min. pre-workout:
20 mg Rad 140
300 mg caffeine

Training:
Front squat - 45x10, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 265x2, 275x2, 275x2, 275x2, 225x5
Box jumps - 4x5
RDL - 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225,x5
Calf raises - 100x10, 100x10, 100x10