Anxiety due to COVID-19 reports

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
I think I'm having anxiety due to COVID reports of increased cases and new variants. Individual sports athletes are at a higher risk of experiencing psychological distress due to lockdowns than team sports athletes. I observe a reduction of my muscle mass. I don't know if I'm just panicking but, I'm so drained with this feeling.

sfw509

Reaction score
Its natural to feel some anxiety about this related to your physique. As people who train we tend to be more aware of our bodies and related changes. Which can lead to stress and anxiety when we feel or notice changes for the worse.

Dont try to ignore the anxiety. Its there, but you have a life to live. Focusing on the anxiety itself just makes it worse. Be mindful of how you feel and present with yourself. The anxiety is occurring in the world you have lived in this whole time. You went about handling your business before. So you can do the same now even if you acknowledge you may be anxious.

Do you currently live in an area where gyms are closed? If so, do you have a plan to train at home or somewhere else? Were you able to last year when most places were locked down?

Regardless of the situation, focus on what you can do and control. If weights are not an option focus on conditioning. Do some band work. Use the extra time to focus on meal prep. There are lots of things you can to keep yourself focused and working towards your goals.

Just because you may not be able to lift doesnt mean you cant set yourself up for future success.

Stay positive. Be kind to yourself. You got this.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the responses. I handled it well in the past few months, but covid has hit close to home. I guess you're right. I'm watching too much news and it's getting inside my head. Now, I understand why they say mental health is as important as our physical.

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Back in the early 2000's the media started covering shark attacks in the US and around the world. There was never a surge in shark attacks, only a surge in shark attack media coverage. There were also reports of some local governments red flagging beaches even though there had been no shark attacks in those areas. The beach related tourism industry suffered record losses that year, presumably due to shark anxiety.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I'm having anxiety due to COVID reports of increased cases and new variants. Individual sports athletes are at a higher risk of experiencing psychological distress due to lockdowns than team sports athletes. I observe a reduction of my muscle mass. I don't know if I'm just panicking but, I'm so drained with this feeling.
Cases are gonna go up and down, depending on the season. Cases don't matter, it's the hospitalization and deaths that matter, which are still lower than they were last year. As for variants, do a little research and you'll find that variants almost never get stronger. They mutate to infect the host faster, but this variant is no more deadly than the first.

Reaction score
I was working in the medical field when this all started and had covid relatively early on (February of 2020). This was before we had any tests, masks, and mass hysteria.

It was a three-day bug for me. Urgent care gave me a zpac and I took my usual remedies (fuckloads of vitamins, hydration, rest). Wasn't even sure it was the batflu until the lab I was working at confirmed with an antibody test after the fact.

We all know the science. It's a novel coronavirus but not really that much different than any other we've seen. If you're healthy, you walk it off. Most are exposed and don't even get sick.

I am more worried about the alarming government overreach and the astounding avarice of global pharmaceutical companies in the wake of this, but I try to remind myself I can only control so much... and my own fitness is one of those things.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
I guess you're all right. I need to get rid of these negative thoughts. Thanks all for the reminder.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the vaccine soon. Any recommendation which is the best brand?

BigBaldBeardGuy

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the vaccine soon. Any recommendation which is the best brand?
Did you decide to get the vaccine because you think it will alleviate your panicked thoughts or because you genuinely want to get vaccinated. Don’t let your emotional thoughts overrule your rational mind.

If you think you need it or you’ll lose your job, just wait. Biden’s announcement just last Thursday hasn’t been written out, is far from implementation and could end up being another scare tactic. I can tell you, OSHA is far from enforcing the mandate. They aren’t staffed for this. I work in a “OSHA-regulated field” and have never seen an OSHA inspector in 25 years of work. Be rational.

lifter6973

Reaction score
Did you decide to get the vaccine because you think it will alleviate your panicked thoughts or because you genuinely want to get vaccinated. Don’t let your emotional thoughts overrule your rational mind.

If you think you need it or you’ll lose your job, just wait. Biden’s announcement just last Thursday hasn’t been written out, is far from implementation and could end up being another scare tactic. I can tell you, OSHA is far from enforcing the mandate. They aren’t staffed for this. I work in a “OSHA-regulated field” and have never seen an OSHA inspector in 25 years of work. Be rational.
Employers seem scared that is for sure. I have a family member in a similar situation. At first they said they can't enforce these mandates. Now they are complying just in case.
I don't see how the government can force employers or employees to pay for tests. This would seem to be the line. If the COVID tests remain free, maybe this flies but once employees or employers have to pay testing bills, I don't see how this will work or I guess I should say how this does not infringe on constitutional rights.