Bench descent speed

Reaction score
Here is the video and there was no pause. Donated blood day before also an issue...

It didn't look bad form wise. The only thing I really noticed were your elbows were a bit shaky coming down. It honestly just might not have been a 300lbs bench day that day though. Just don't let it get in your head and keep doing what you need to do to set yourself up for a good meet. You could still get it there.

Trendkill

Reaction score
I would focus hard on rest, recovery and deloading the next couple weeks. Obviously I'm not your coach and I'm sure that individual has a solid plan in place. When you are peaking for a meet it can take a tremendous toll on your musculature but also on your CNS. A proper taper and deload can lead to supercompensation and magic on meet day.

Reaction score
It didn't look bad form wise. The only thing I really noticed were your elbows were a bit shaky coming down. It honestly just might not have been a 300lbs bench day that day though. Just don't let it get in your head and keep doing what you need to do to set yourself up for a good meet. You could still get it there.
All intents and purposes that was supposed to be my 2nd at the meet... I did donate blood day before and know that played a role...going to 242 should help bench #

Reaction score
I would focus hard on rest, recovery and deloading the next couple weeks. Obviously I'm not your coach and I'm sure that individual has a solid plan in place. When you are peaking for a meet it can take a tremendous toll on your musculature but also on your CNS. A proper taper and deload can lead to supercompensation and magic on meet day.
Next week plan is openers the week after is deload. And yeah pretty happy with my coaching

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Here is the video and there was no pause. Donated blood day before also an issue...
With almost no information to go on outside of you trying to perform a one rep max, it almost appears that you either didn't do enough warm ups or didn't properly increase weight enough so you're joints and muscles would be ready for a one rep max.

You look really shaky going down which is typically a sign that your muscles are not warm enough or you made too big of an increase in weight too fast.

It doesn't mean that you can't do the weight.

Reaction score
I like a slow descent for the first rep on any weight that I use. I use it to gauge how difficult the next few reps will be and also if there will be another rep.

Whenever I see people doing a 20 second set of 10 to 15 reps I typically just wait for the injury to happen.

My rule of thumb is typically to go down as fast as I go up.

In terms of injury prevention, I can do anywhere from 3 to 10 sets of warm-ups before I even begin work sets.
Lead into that single was
Barx15 different grip widths
135x5
185x3
225x2
245x1
265x1
285x1
Then the 300 so not as much for warm ups as you have.

Trendkill

Reaction score
When properly conditioned you don't need a lot of warmups for max attempts. Just hang out in the warm up room at a big powerlifting meet and you'll see what I mean. I think you progression for this attempt looks good. I would have gone 225 - 275 -300 but that's just me. We are contributing to you overthinking this right now which is not good. Put it behind you, focus on success at the meet and address weaknesses in form and technique after the meet.

Reaction score
When properly conditioned you don't need a lot of warmups for max attempts. Just hang out in the warm up room at a big powerlifting meet and you'll see what I mean. I think you progression for this attempt looks good. I would have gone 225 - 275 -300 but that's just me. We are contributing to you overthinking this right now which is not good. Put it behind you, focus on success at the meet and address weaknesses in form and technique after the meet.
Will do and thank you

dirtys1x

Reaction score
Lead into that single was
Barx15 different grip widths
135x5
185x3
225x2
245x1
265x1
285x1
Then the 300 so not as much for warm ups as you have.
Glad @Trendkill beat me to it but the 245 265 and 285 are useless. I also think the 185 is too. Just take more time with the 135 to stretch into the movement. Double the reps maybe and slow them down. 135-225-275-300.

As for the slow descent. This is fine. This is only helping you seriously. It’s frustrating because you can see other guys around you slamming 315 on their chest and using it as a mechanical advantage. Lol, that won’t last long, and I promise you they aren’t building proper strength mechanics to push to the next level. Id say that around ~400 lbs that won’t fly. Don’t worry about it. Like everything else, your body will adapt to the pace of your reps and you’ll build the required strength to hit your PR under a controlled, mechanically smooth rep.

Reaction score
Thanks, feeling lost 2 weeks out.... bench was progressing well then not sure why yesterday went to shit... hit pr on DL Monday so thats going good, squat is hit and miss for me.. first meet now all I want is to get a total and not bomb out
Ahh the old “ wtf” a couple weeks out. You’re on the right track

Reaction score
You have that meet yet @Btcowboy
I did this past weekend.
I ended up with a partial tear of my Adductor and hamstring 2 weeks out. It was looking like a bench only for me. However did the best I could with rehab and managed to do full power.

Squat kept light due to injury went 3 for 3 top squat 275

Bench opener 265 3 whites, 2nd 285 2 reds they said I sunk the bar after press command, video review shows I did not. 3rd went 297 should have repeated 285 but didnt and couldnt finish the press, same reason too slow on descent.

Deadlift were easy 3 for 3 top set 501. Again had a lot more but still a PR.

Got 1st masters and 2nd open...

Steeeve

Reaction score
I always end up tempo-ing my descent on my max squat and bench. Touching my chest at the right point and maintaining balance on the combo bench is the difference between 400 paused and 350 paused for me.

Reaction score
I always end up tempo-ing my descent on my max squat and bench. Touching my chest at the right point and maintaining balance on the combo bench is the difference between 400 paused and 350 paused for me.
Yeah for sure, counted my tempo on the lower for my 3rd.....5 seconds no wonder I couldn't finish the press lol..... definately am off season thing to fix

Steeeve

Reaction score
Yeah for sure, counted my tempo on the lower for my 3rd.....5 seconds no wonder I couldn't finish the press lol..... definately am off season thing to fix
ok ok ok 5 seconds is a bit of a stretch. Joe Sullivan is also a big fan of tempo-ing his descents, especially on his WR squat attempts. Dude is at least doing a 3 count going down

Reaction score
ok ok ok 5 seconds is a bit of a stretch. Joe Sullivan is also a big fan of tempo-ing his descents, especially on his WR squat attempts. Dude is at least doing a 3 count going down
Yeah 3 I could live with.