Best filtering methods

Reaction score
HI guys .. i have some problems filtering my homebrews ,, i filter around 100-200ml sometimes .. i have used GSO and other oils but now am swishing to maybe 70% EO 30% GSO my filers brake ..cracks etc I have used PES PVDF bottle top filters with vacuum pump .. the usual kit you find in chemistry shops .. searching for better methods i landed on a youtube vid were they use a glass filter with filter discs .. like this
So i searched again and i found a cheap set from China .. i tried to find what type of filter discs to use and i bought them as well (ebay) ..when i set the filter up and started filtering oil did not go through the filter ..and when i raised pumping pressure oil started to leak out from the sides of the filter .. so my filter flask were shit and the discs were probably wrong .. appreciate if anyone here with experience could help with some info on what filter flask apparatus and filter discs i should get..

B.R

Milo

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
The quality is fairly universal The inconsistent part is the user or procedure.
At the 100 to 200 ml mark you are borderline syring filter or alternate method. Bottle tops Will meet your requirements and unfortunately most of them with a plastic receiver will crack this technically if memory serves right these were never meant for oil-based solutions. So you have a few options. Switch to thinner oil, Do nothing but lower pressure and wait longer, switch to zap caps a lot of people have great feedback with those, change your receiver flask depending on the threading the 45 or 33 to a glass receiver, you have the option to buy sterile or you can sterilize it yourself but if you choose the latter make sure the specifications will handle the heat. The system above is an option in my opinion there is more of a chance of cross-contamination. But you absolutely don't want to get use fritted glass get unfitted. Only set up above did you wet your filter first? What is the diameter of the filter? Usually on the setup above they'll be a range as far as the filter size. Hypothetically the system above me say 45 to 48 mm. This is unlisted above requires you sterilize everything before use, nothing is enclosed so if done improperly... Last thing I use nylon filters, I personally would never use pes, The filter you use should be adequate as well but if you ever decide to change filter material make sure you look up all the chemicals you use and cross-reference that to the chemicals that the type of filter can handle. Oh if you're having to apply a bunch of pressure is your filter hydrophobic or hydrophilic. Both will work you just have to take one extra 20 seconds step depending on the one you have, there's potentially a chance you have the wrong filter phillic or phobic and you need the extra pressure to filter the material.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Forgive My talk to text I have difficulty with fine motor movements so typing is not efficient. After posting reply then proofreading Way too late, if there's anything that seems confusing just let me know it's maybe two or three things my talk to text said something different than intended but, usually the rest of the sentence gives enough data to translate the dictation errors.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Your filter breaks because of the EO, That's too much EO in my opinion.

You'll have to let it cool down quite a bit and use less psi. It will filter much faster with EO, especially that high, no need to be extremely warm to fitler that.

PES is not your best option, I don't even like nylon with EO, stick with PVDF.

Filtering with EO = low psi and cooled down temperatures!

Last edited:

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
This is not even close to being required just personal preference, That takes into account economies of scale. So for some this may be a cost saving and others would cause unneeded expenses
The one and only reason I would ever use pes or pp isn't even a requirement it's a preference thing. Acquiring dirt cheap pes and pp ]bottle tops on ebay or chemical supply clearing companies and using it to pre-filter my oil (MCT for me)only in bulk for the purpose of extending my final product filter life. Oil gets filtered again in final product filter. The idea here is any insoluble contaminants in oil will not be present during final filtering allowing up to 50%(other factors can influence) filter life extension.

Below are two filter membrane-compatibility charts.

Reaction score
HI again ..
SFGiants ..well just a quick answer.. i want to use EO to be able to use less solvents .. to have less pip ..
i usually wait until oil is cold .. and try low pressure but these fucking plastic pumps .. brake also ..
this is why i want to change to a proper filter aparatus ..

Thrawn.. thanks for all the info .. i checked the lists you gave me .. and accordingly ..i have done some research now .. it seams like these filter discs (Membrane filters Durapore® PVDF hydrophilic, 0,22 µm, Ø: 47 mm) are what i should be getting .. plz give me your opinion ...

question now is can i put less BA BB in my oils now cause i read that with EO you can do that .. and that EO gives less pip? have anyone tested this theory :)
do you have the link to a god brewing calculator

thank you all ..

B.R

Milo

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I'm sorry, you should not be doing this.

buck

Reaction score
For that volume I just use PVDF syringe filters and call it good. Been working for me for the last 20 years. Bit of a forearm workout but in a half hour or so i am done

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
HI again ..
SFGiants ..well just a quick answer.. i want to use EO to be able to use less solvents .. to have less pip ..
i usually wait until oil is cold .. and try low pressure but these fucking plastic pumps .. brake also ..

Thrawn.. thanks for all the info .. i checked the lists you gave me .. and accordingly ..i have done some research now .. it seams like these filter discs (Membrane filters Durapore® PVDF hydrophilic, 0,22 µm, Ø: 47 mm) are what i should be getting .. plz give me your opinion ...

question now is can i put less BA BB in my oils now cause i read that with EO you can do that .. and that EO gives less pip? have anyone tested this theory :)

thank you all ..

B.R

Milo
I agree with SFgiant I recommed you doing more research. I also know you can get info anywhere, info i have seen posted elsewhere since my return, alot is wrong, dangerous, reckless. So I think most would rather help than see self inflicted injury to you or potentially others. Alot of us are eager to help when we see someone trying. Kinda like going to Italy doing you best to speak Italian to locals, they look at you and reply in your native language.
We should probably back up for just a few questions. What are you making dose and recipe? Very few products should cause pip. Other reasons for pip dose, recipe, contamination.
For your choice of solvent, and cosolvent PVDF .2, or .22 The numbers are used interchangeable. So people default and use PVDF since it should handle everything we use.
Now The controversial part solvent choices. Personally I use only BB and BA for injectables. If I need higher doses I pin myself more, I would not be displeasured injecting multiple times a day. EO is IMO a nasty solvent, prefill you syringes for the wk inspect before each use, did you find anything abnormal? I'm 10 to 12yrs behind on current scientific literature so data may have changed. EO has be linked in animal studies to alter myocardial cells. There's more but for caution of posting inaccurate/ outdated studies I won't. Ultimately I advise having us look at your recipes and doses to see if we can get you out of using EO or greatly reduce use.
Calculator, I do my own custom Excel sheet but search button will no doubt find one in 3min or less. Give it a try, if you can't find it I'll get you one.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
List of benefit of using a forum with a healthy active brew section.
Like hackers, bombers, Brewers, we try add our own individualistic signature to formulas.

You bet your ass when somebody post a recipe it's being critiqued for errors or tips and tricks.

If somebody gives bad advice or mistyped, people won't let it slide and risk injury, it will be corrected.

Not only is the recipe being reviewed the process of , can be questioned or inquired and if need be duplicated.

99% will not post their secret formulas, those came from trial, errror, time, expenses. With that said most people have no need for them either. You could sell it to a ugl or use it for bragging rights within brewing community.

Point of the story hang around learn we have a seat for you in the front of class.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
List of benefit of using a forum with a healthy active brew section.
Like hackers, bombers, Brewers, we try add our own individualistic signature to formulas.

You bet your ass when somebody post a recipe it's being critiqued for errors or tips and tricks.

If somebody gives bad advice or mistyped, people won't let it slide and risk injury, it will be corrected.

Not only is the recipe being reviewed the process of , can be questioned or inquired and if need be duplicated.

99% will not post their secret formulas, those came from trial, errror, time, expenses. With that said most people have no need for them either. You could sell it to a ugl or use it for bragging rights within brewing community.

Point of the story hang around learn we have a seat for you in the front of class.

I agree 100% on technique and is why all you’ll ever see is a generic recipe.

Most only understand the generic or don't understand it but it's all they have, someone with years behind them will not be willing to argue with those that have 0 clue but been around 6 weeks.

If they can't get the basics right, they sure as shit shouldn't be tweaking around with stuff.

I'm very interested in what he needs EO for and why 70% other than faster filtration and pinning with slin. My bet is all he needs is MCT.

EO is not a bad thing if used properly, 70% is not properly. If all he really wants is faster and smaller gauge he can get that with 5% to 10%, that's even if the compound calls for it or makes sense for it otherwise MCT is the option above EO.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
HI again ..

thank you all ..

B.R

Milo
Plastic pumps are garbage, use a brake bleeder pump like the Actron CP7835 vacuum pump, you need to know your psi range as well.

You for what you do can use a Millipore bottle top filter with a glass media bottle.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Hopefully he will hang and learn. MCT easy with 27ga, highly confident 29 gauge insulin needle would have no problem either. Only pip I get with mct is 100/75 tren a, test p combo. I also need all the mct oil I can consume, Even if it was the worst pain I would still use it. I'm quite confident we'll be able to get him squared away. Absolutely agree there is a place for EO.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Hopefully he will hang and learn. MCT easy with 27ga, highly confident 29 gauge insulin needle would have no problem either. Only pip I get with mct is 100/75 tren a, test p combo. I also need all the mct oil I can consume, Even if it was the worst pain I would still use it. I'm quite confident we'll be able to get him squared away. Absolutely agree there is a place for EO.
I like GSO, old school fart lol.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
GSO done right can easily fly through a 25g, no need for me to go smaller than that.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Media bottle will look similar to this or could be clear. On the second picture it will tell you the maximum temperature cap and all, can get to for sterilization. the bottom states neck size make sure your filtration tops are compatible see pic 3

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_215650.jpg
    IMG_20230918_215650.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230918_215818.jpg
    IMG_20230918_215818.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230918_220400.jpg
    IMG_20230918_220400.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 5

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
GSO done right can easily fly through a 25g, no need for me to go smaller than that.
I have no problem using other oils, grapeseed is my #2, then cottonseed #3 I just have a lot of MCT oil in the house so it works great for me. Now that you have me thinking off the top of my head I don't think I've messed with any other oils brewside. I never really paid attention to what oil the sust and testoviron amps had, that was 24 years ago so. Now I'm curious should be fairly easy to find. Just to give you a heads up since it seems like we're going to be typing/talking long responses in here over time. Have an unknown neurological issue that cause my fine motor skills in my hands not to work well about 50% of time so I use talk to text and the transcription process sometimes errors. So if you see something really funky or absolutely makes no sense like talking about bananas or monkeys or something now you know lol

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Pretty sure my first injection ever was a sust rediject 1998 if I recall it was like 18 or 20 gauge. Lol I remember broScience said how deep it needed to get in the muscle. very short time later got some 23s and 25s

New Threads