Can you buy a Cpap machine without RX?

Jonjon

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ve got some form of sleep apnea. I fall asleep easily around 10 each night. But I’m awake by 1:30 or 2am and can’t go back to sleep

I don’t have insurance, I’m self employed.

This is probably a stupid question but is there a way I can just buy a cpap machine and try it?

If not, what’s the first step I need to take? Not sure what kind of dr to go to or where to start.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
I discovered it's just like TRT.

• Order a NightOwl disposable home sleep apnea test with our Complete Care Package
  • Answer a brief questionnaire to determine your risk and receive your home sleep test in the mail
  • Follow the instructions to take your home sleep study from the comfort of your bed and in the morning, your results will be uploaded to the cloud
  • Schedule a 15-minute telehealth visit with one of our board-certified doctors to review your results
  • If necessary, you will receive a script for PAP therapy and be connected to our experts to help with equipment purchase and set-up
link to a pay to play outfit

I do not endorse or recommend these people. Sharing what I discovered. I went to my Dr who sent me to a sleep medicine Dr. Had a one-night in-home sleep study.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You could also look into getting a mouthguard fitted. A certain type of mouthguard can alleviate some symptoms of mild sleep apnea.

Failing that, you could also just lose some weight...

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure you don't need a prescription to buy one straight out. Could probably find used ones for cheaper but gonna want to disinfect it and replace the consumables.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I just went and bought a machine, didnt want the test as I know I had restrictive snoring.
(Family would film me at night when I would stop breathing for quite a bit).

Got one on Facebook Marketplace. Then got a recall (cancer risk) for that one (Phillips) so I bought another one here while I wait for my recall replacement to be sent...

Life-saver...

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ve got some form of sleep apnea. I fall asleep easily around 10 each night. But I’m awake by 1:30 or 2am and can’t go back to sleep

I don’t have insurance, I’m self employed.

This is probably a stupid question but is there a way I can just buy a cpap machine and try it?

If not, what’s the first step I need to take? Not sure what kind of dr to go to or where to start.

I had to go through a doctor and a sleep study to know where to set the machine but you can buy them outright I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonjon

Reaction score
I had to go through a doctor and a sleep study to know where to set the machine but you can buy them outright I think

Yeah I’m biting the bullet and going to a dr Friday.

I think the lack of sleep is killing my progress, it’s gotta be. Only thing I’m not doing riight

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m biting the bullet and going to a dr Friday.

I think the lack of sleep is killing my progress, it’s gotta be. Only thing I’m not doing riight

It really helped me a lot I was tired all day long but when I got on the Machine it instantly helped me

Reaction score
I took an in-house study and couldn't sleep so they said I didn't have apnea, although my wife says different. Luckily I have a common sense Dr. They kept telling me that an in house study is the most accurate test since everything is hooked up to you, but my Dr said an at home test is the most accurate because you sleep well in your natural environment. It's amazing the results a Dr with common sense can get you vs a Dr that simply follows the book like a monkey. The at home test showed I did have sleep apnea.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I took an in-house study and couldn't sleep so they said I didn't have apnea, although my wife says different. Luckily I have a common sense Dr. They kept telling me that an in house study is the most accurate test since everything is hooked up to you, but my Dr said an at home test is the most accurate because you sleep well in your natural environment. It's amazing the results a Dr with common sense can get you vs a Dr that simply follows the book like a monkey. The at home test showed I did have sleep apnea.

Well staying over night at a sore study will help you the most man trust me you see a big difference

Reaction score
I just went and bought a machine, didnt want the test as I know I had restrictive snoring.
(Family would film me at night when I would stop breathing for quite a bit).

Got one on Facebook Marketplace. Then got a recall (cancer risk) for that one (Phillips) so I bought another one here while I wait for my recall replacement to be sent...

Life-saver...

How in the shit does a cpap machine cause cancer? Fuck sakes everything causes cancer now a days eh :(

Jonjon

Reaction score
A little update, I went to the dr and did a at home study this past week. Was supposed to be a 2 night study but I only slept 2 hours each night so we did a third night.

They have the results so I’d say they’ll call me today

So far it cost $100 for the office visit, $285 for the study.

ftf

Reaction score
I got a scrip for the machine, but the sleep study results didn't qualify me for insurance coverage. I paid $800 something for the Phillips dream station 2. I got the nose mask from Amazon for around $30. I have not slept one night without it since I bought it. The machine has the built-in humidifier and heated tube. You need that. It's super quiet and comfortable. It is not a big turn on when girls come over, but WTF cares when it helps you sleep.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
1. ive had severe sleep apnea for years. I stop breathing every 30 seconds so sleep was impossible. Once I learned how to use a cpap it was life changing though I still sleep like sh1t...

2. Facebook marketplace removed the ad I recently posted to sell a resmed s8 elite

3. Humidifier is for some, not all...I never use it.

4. I dont see how a home sleep study could be more accurate than a sleep center study where you're hooked up to the monitors and wires and things...

5. Side note - the morning i woke up in the sleep center they asked me how I felt, I responded honestly saying was the best sleep I had in months.....the next day my ENT called me personally instead of the secretary as normal and said get in here asap for the rx for a machine, you are one of the worst ive ever seen......

ps. autopap more expensive if you dont have insurance but better than cpap because it adjusts to your pattern

Voyagersixone

Reaction score

^
This
I see in further comments that you’re going to a dr - I know it’s a pain but it’s likely for the best. There are a number of causes for sleep apnea; when I went for my consultation I had an X-ray done and it was shown I actually have a small windpipe. The dr offered surgery to also shave some of my oral pallet down to allow more airflow (no thank you).

There’s a lot of great online resources for how to learn to read the smartcard data from your CPAP because it does show way more than the normal display. With this you and your doctor can figure out long term what works for you.

Sityslicker1

Reaction score
^
This
I see in further comments that you’re going to a dr - I know it’s a pain but it’s likely for the best. There are a number of causes for sleep apnea; when I went for my consultation I had an X-ray done and it was shown I actually have a small windpipe. The dr offered surgery to also shave some of my oral pallet down to allow more airflow (no thank you).

There’s a lot of great online resources for how to learn to read the smartcard data from your CPAP because it does show way more than the normal display. With this you and your doctor can figure out long term what works for you.
Man shave down your mouth pallet? I can't blame you for declining that offer. Ouch.

Reaction score
I went because of wife mentioning snoring, and found out that I was unknowingly stopping breathing almost once a minute. 56 an hour. I didn't really feel tired, but I know that this is very bad for overall health. So I got the machine and am usually around 1-2 apneas an hour. I had to go through a doctor at the time, but now know you can buy directly, like I just did from Resmed. Now that I lost 20 pounds, I use it for about half the night because I snore much less and don't stop breathing and gasp hardly at all.

Methyl mike

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
You guys with apnea have it easy, GERD has on my feet running into things in the dark gasping and hyperventilating except when I inhale I get yet more acid in my lungs and holy shit it is the WORST. it's going to kill me one day.

New Threads