Chicago Area (Oak Lawn) Steroids Seller Bust

cybrsage

Reaction score
September 24, 2015. An Oak Lawn man was arrested today on federal charges that he imported anabolic steroids from China and distributed them to large-scale suppliers in the Chicago area.

JOSEPH T. PALERMO, 33, imported anabolic steroids, human growth hormone and pharmaceuticals from outside the United States for approximately five years, according to a federal criminal complaint and affidavit. The shipments from China arrived in the form of raw liquid or powder, which Palermo manufactured into usable steroids and distributed to large-scale dealers in the Chicago area, according to the charges.

Earlier this month, federal agents executing a search warrant at Palermo’s Oak Lawn residence discovered a makeshift steroid laboratory in the walk-in closet of a locked bedroom, the affidavit states. Inside the closet were approximately 600 empty glass vials, approximately 250 vials filled or partially-filled with suspected liquid steroids, more than 6,000 tablets labeled as anabolic steroids, glass beakers, a hot plate and a digital scale, according to the affidavit. Agents also discovered more than $9,000 in cash and several firearms, including a 9mm Glock handgun that was concealed under a pad in a sofa, the affidavit states.

Palermo, who is employed by the Argonne National Laboratory, was taken into custody this morning. He was charged with possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute. He appeared this afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Maria Valdez and was released on a personal recognizance bond.

The arrest and charge against Palermo were announced by Zachary T. Fardon, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois; James Gibbons, Acting Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Office of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI); Antonio Gómez, Inspector-in-Charge of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in Chicago; and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Inspector General.

The arrest is part of an ongoing investigation that has resulted in the issuance of numerous federal and state search warrants, as well as the initiation of other federal criminal cases, according to the affidavit.

According to the charges, Palermo purchased the steroids online and often wired the money through Western Union. The shipments were sometimes sent to P.O. Boxes that Palermo opened in his name or the names of people whose identities he had found on driver’s licenses mistakenly left behind at a downtown Chicago nightclub where Palermo formerly worked as a bouncer, according to the charges. Palermo estimated that he grossed approximately $2,000 per month through the scheme, the affidavit states.

In June, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers in San Francisco intercepted a Chinese parcel addressed to a residence Palermo controlled in Northlake, the affidavit states. Although the parcel was declared as “Titanium Dioxide,” it contained 359.2 grams of an oily anabolic steroid, the affidavit states. In July, CBP officers intercepted a second Chinese shipment, this time containing a powdery anabolic steroid concealed in a tinfoil baggie, according to the charges. It was addressed to a Palermo-controlled P.O. Box in Elmhurst, the affidavit states.

The charge against Palermo carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a $500,000 fine. If convicted, the Court must impose a reasonable sentence under federal statutes and the advisory United States Sentencing Guidelines.

The public is reminded that a complaint is not evidence of guilt. The defendant is presumed innocent and is entitled to a fair trial at which the government has the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The government is being represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kartik K. Raman.

No idea what his company was called.

Franklin Yeti

Reaction score
Damn! 10 years and a $500,000 fine. Doing that amount of time for $2,000 net profit per month doesn't seem to worthwhile now, does it?

cybrsage

Reaction score
Nope, not at all. Most likely he will get a greatly reduced sentence and the rest on parole. The system loves parole, they can do whatever they want to you whenever they want and if you complain they just put you back in jail.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
wow....Major city...& shitty punishment.

Reaction score
He screwed up doing everything face to face, as usual

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
Yup, My familie's friend for decades. My family knows both Jr and Sr.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thats not what I meant, was he a major player or a small fish?

Reaction score
Seeing as how he was the importer/manufacturer, sounds like a "big" player, even though it appears he wasn't making much $ off it. But either way the Gov't got another "bad guy importing drugs" off the streets... waste of tax payer $$ IMO.

Reaction score
Wow I grew up in chicago ridge rite next to oaklawn it like 5 mins walking distance from where I grew up. I live in tinley park now . But it's crazy when u read something like this that happen so close makes you think and get paranoid lol.

Reaction score
Seeing as how he was the importer/manufacturer, sounds like a "big" player, even though it appears he wasn't making much $ off it. But either way the Gov't got another "bad guy importing drugs" off the streets... waste of tax payer $$ IMO.
They can probably give 2 shits about the gear, government just mad they wasn't getting there cut and tax of the sake lol

strongbow

Elite
Reaction score
Fed charge - there is no parole in the fed system. Hell get 54 months, of that 6 months will be in halfway house. Hell prolly go to a FCI or maybe even a camp. The big thing is they will try to get him for drug user in possession of firearm times 3 - special enhancement. an additional 65 months. More than 10 years cant be done at a camp so he will start at fci and then goto camp. I would guess. Because this was ongoing for 5 years - he will loose everything - house cars bank accounts.

HE WILL ROLL they always do.

Reaction score
Good chance I have/do trained in the same gym as you then.

Lifetime fitness and I go to tinley park gym at park district. Just getting back into it after 6 years. Had to stop rite when I graduated college I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, cervical distonia and a tumor on my pituitary gland. So for longest time I was in allot of pain. Shit killed my body use to be in great shape. But the tumor on my pituitary gland is messing with my thyroid, test and hgh. I'm on thyroid and trt. Test cyp for it but doctors don't give me enough lol. The thyroid over years and not being able to lfit or do much cardio do to pain I had to stop. But started back up a few weeks before new years I'm down 65lbs and feel great. I lift sometimes with my cuzn you probably know who he is if you work out at lifetime he knows like everyone there lol. I was saying in a post a few months ago man has it changed in ugb, use to be allot more stuff you could get away with on here lmfao ; (!

New Threads