Cycling over 40 years old

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I joined the board about a month ago (self intro on Mar 31) and have spent alot of time reading old/current threads mostly around cycles and training programs. I'm looking for some two-way info sharing for over 40 lifters and the cycles they run, specifically compounds, dosages, durations, etc.

I've run 3 cycles myself with the first coming in fall of 2020 at the age of 44. I'll outline what I've done below:

Cycle 1 - Fall 2020
Test E: 400 mg x 10 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg x 6 weeks

Cycle 2 - Spring 2021
Test E: 300 mg x 16 weeks
EQ: 400 mg x 10 weeks (front load 2 x 450 mg first 2 weeks)
Winny: 50 mg daily x weeks 10-15

Cycle 3 - Late Fall 2021/Winter 2022
Test E: 350 mg x 16 weeks
Deca: 400 mg x 13 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg daily x 6 weeks

In all cycles, I've had arimidex on hand to manage E2 and nolvadex for pct. Bloodwork has been all good and sides managed well (some acne here and there, but thats about it). Diet and programming have been on point. My goal is to maintain functional strength (think 3/4/5 plate bench/squat/deads) while looking good in a swimsuit (for an old guy). Gains were quick in the beginning and are still coming, but they are incremental at this point.

For future cycles, I'm thinking of:

Test E: 400 mg x 16 weeks
Deca: 400 mg x 14 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg daily x first 6 weeks (fall/winter) -or-
Winny: 50 mg daily x weeks 9-14 (spring/summer)

What do you guys run? Would you keep, drop, or swap the orals? Do you prefer anything other than Test/Deca as the main injectables? What doses do you run? Does anybody use EQ? Like my member intro states, I'm trying to stay in the shallow end of the gear pool and avoid the harsh compounds.

Chime in please fellow old bros. Thanks!

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Test and Anavar or Test and Deca is what I usually like to run these days. It is much easier now that I am prescribed all three for HRT.

I don't know if I would touch winny at my age. I did it when I was younger (late 20s) and ended up with joints of glass. I had a shoulder injury that took YEARS to recover from that was blamed on the Winstrol that I took at the time.

If I were interested in building more muscle at a quicker pace, I'd probably do TRT level testosterone with Tren added in. Since having COVID twice, I have yet to go above my prescribed dose for anything.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I joined the board about a month ago (self intro on Mar 31) and have spent alot of time reading old/current threads mostly around cycles and training programs. I'm looking for some two-way info sharing for over 40 lifters and the cycles they run, specifically compounds, dosages, durations, etc.

I've run 3 cycles myself with the first coming in fall of 2020 at the age of 44. I'll outline what I've done below:

Cycle 1 - Fall 2020
Test E: 400 mg x 10 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg x 6 weeks

Cycle 2 - Spring 2021
Test E: 300 mg x 16 weeks
EQ: 400 mg x 10 weeks (front load 2 x 450 mg first 2 weeks)
Winny: 50 mg daily x weeks 10-15

Cycle 3 - Late Fall 2021/Winter 2022
Test E: 350 mg x 16 weeks
Deca: 400 mg x 13 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg daily x 6 weeks

In all cycles, I've had arimidex on hand to manage E2 and nolvadex for pct. Bloodwork has been all good and sides managed well (some acne here and there, but thats about it). Diet and programming have been on point. My goal is to maintain functional strength (think 3/4/5 plate bench/squat/deads) while looking good in a swimsuit (for an old guy). Gains were quick in the beginning and are still coming, but they are incremental at this point.

For future cycles, I'm thinking of:

Test E: 400 mg x 16 weeks
Deca: 400 mg x 14 weeks
Dbol: 20 mg daily x first 6 weeks (fall/winter) -or-
Winny: 50 mg daily x weeks 9-14 (spring/summer)

What do you guys run? Would you keep, drop, or swap the orals? Do you prefer anything other than Test/Deca as the main injectables? What doses do you run? Does anybody use EQ? Like my member intro states, I'm trying to stay in the shallow end of the gear pool and avoid the harsh compounds.

Chime in please fellow old bros. Thanks!
As CJ said, maybe stick with test and an oral. The most test you've done is 400 so maybe 500-600 mg a week, throw in anavar or I prefer Anadrol preworkout. The goal you stated doesn't require deca, eq, or dbol.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I did enjoy my last cycle with deca for the joint relief. I have some fresh vials, so I will probably run it at least one more time. After that, I will think of doing straight test with a bump in dosage to 500 mg perhaps.

Any other old guys out there running straight test only or do you guys run other compounds?

Reaction score
just turned 50,, younger years consisted of Eq/test/var or win or Halo,, (loved that Halo) but not favorable on the joints later in cycle. If i were to run something today, id be Eq/ test or test/var with proper ancillaries. keep it simple

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Run that 3rd cycle again but both Test and Deca for 16 weeks. Swap out the orals for 600 Deca unless it's the winny and you want to look good on vacation.

Reaction score
Thanks for the new replies guys. Definitely some good info and pretty much inline with what I've been thinking.

I've never tried anavar, but will consider it if I want to run an oral in the future. I love the strength bump from DBOL but should probably avoid it because of the sides (especially BP related) in my advancing years. I liked running Winny last year as well, but I know it has its own set of issues.

Reaction score
Thanks for the new replies guys. Definitely some good info and pretty much inline with what I've been thinking.

I've never tried anavar, but will consider it if I want to run an oral in the future. I love the strength bump from DBOL but should probably avoid it because of the sides (especially BP related) in my advancing years. I liked running Winny last year as well, but I know it has its own set of issues.
What were your kept gains on these cycles? that

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Id say just quit cycling and get on trt. Youll do better in the long run for both health and muscularity.

New Threads