Depressed

Crom

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Haven't posted in a few days - been feeling pretty shitty lately. I feel like I've been giving so much to this thing and not getting very much back. I've got these goals and ideas about the body I'm trying to achieve. I'm also trying to make sure I keep these ideas rooted in reality.

I don't have the best genetics but I do have a pretty good work ethic. I've trained with amateur physique competitors as well as competing powerlifters for months at a time. I've always been able to hold my own during the workouts, pushing my partners and myself. I feel as if my body does not respond to the weights like some peoples do.

I feel as if I am more torso dominant than limb dominant. Does that even make sense? My back, chest and obliques get thicker but my arms refuse to grow.
The past few weeks I've been thinking that my arms were getting smaller. I tried to tell my self that my chest, traps, shoulders and back were growing and making them appear to be smaller.

Well, last night I measured my arms. I lost a ****ing half inch. How is that even possible? Anyway, as you can imagine I lost my shit. Told myself screw it - I'm done. Could it be I'm a non responder? Could it be that working my arms makes them smaller? I've tried heavy weight 8 - 10 reps. I've tried light weight high reps. I've tried slow contracted reps. The only thing I haven't tried is blood flow restriction.

The other day I finally trained with the old Marine, Muck I wrote about. We did a Meadows style arm workout then talked for about a half our in the parking lot. He said he thinks he can help me out. I had a feeling it was a bit of interview - if you get me.

He thinks I would benefit from a Dbol, Decca, test cycle. He told me my cost and guarantees his source. He told me as long as I keep training, eating right and sticking to my TRT protocol I'll hold onto the tissue I gain.

I feel like I'm at a cross roads. I'm 45, I wanna get jacked, love to lift but I've got to be honest, my goals are purely selfish. I just wanna look good. How far do I wanna take this though? Is it worth running my BP through the roof at 45 and possibly killing myself? I know what DBOL and Decca could do. Last time I tried running sus, my BP went up to 180 over 90. (I'm not 100% convinced that was sus LOL)

I'm not content with just moving decent weight anymore. I want to look like someone who moves decent weight. I thought about trying to get a trainer. I asked one guy at the gym but he said I advanced too quickly, and there's nothing he can really teach me. He said I should learn to tweak my own programs.

I'm open to learning from anyone at anytime. Especially if it moves me closer to my goals. I stopped powerlifting because I kept getting hurt. I gotta be honest, I used the powerlifting as an excuse for how my body looks. I told myself I don't have to look good if I'm doing the powerlifting thing. Thick torso and legs and no arms, GREAT! I'm a ****ing T-rex that moves weight.

I hate dumping on you guys like this. I've got too many people around me that have accepted me as a bro, and act like I'm nuts when I ask for advice or help from them.

I ate like shit yesterday. I got pissed and ate brownies and carrot cake.

Please slap me around, cause I'm feeling like a lil bitch.

One thing I never told you guys. I hate having crutch and usually can't stand when people bring up health shit. I had Lyme that went undiagnosed for over 20 years. They thought I had cancer and every other damn thing. Eventually the Lyme got into my spine and brain, then my heart. I ended up with a stroke in my right cerebellum.

I was cleared , it was all Lyme related. However, I can't help but feel like my minor brain injury is effecting me in some one. I don't want to believe that it is.

Mhenshaw

Elite
Reaction score
Here for you, Crom.

"I don't have the best genetics but I do have a pretty good work ethic." Most of us dont have the best genetics. I the movie Twins, Danny Devito still was a pretty good guy! ,)

"...torso dominant..." is it possible that you are overworking arms? Muscles all require dirrerent recovery times. Large muscles generally slower than smaller muscles.

"I'm open to learning from anyone at anytime. Especially if it moves me closer to my goals. I stopped powerlifting because I kept getting hurt." Uhmmm... i think i found why your torso is responding fast... powerlifting.... muscle memory... the key is to find balance, and most importantly stay out of the injury zone. Your arms are going to respond... you just havent asked them to before.

"I ate like shit yesterday." That was yesterday... dont beat yourself up about it, as there isnt a damn thing you can change. Make today better.

"Please slap me around, cause I'm feeling like a lil bitch." Well, if you want to play... ;) Seriously... dont beat yourself up. Work the problem. I would recommend a training partner. Not sure about the source, that will be your decision.

"However, I can't help but feel like my minor brain injury is effecting me in some one" No f.ing around. If you are concerned, please see a doctor. I offer advice, and opinions. I care. ...but I really dont know shit about lyme disease or mental health. I would strongly recommend seeking other advice before beginning a cycle that you arent certain of. If it was one you had a history with maybe... but it sounded like you had doubts. We all make the best decisions from the choices we believe are presented to us. Looking back, I have made some really f..ed ip decisions, but at the time, thought they were the best, or even the only options.

Main thing, dont give up!

Reaction score
I'm with you man. I have the skinniest ectomorph genetics out of anyone I know. I'll probably never get huge, and I've accepted that. Then I keep having setbacks too, like this heart issue I'm dealing with now.

How do I cope? I just gotta stay patient, keep plugging away, remind myself how far I've come, and celebrate every little bit of progress I make. That's what works for me.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Crom, bro dont give up! You got this!

Keep doing whats working and make some changes. I dont know what your diet looks like but thats where I would start if I were you.

Next you may want to change up your programming, CJ has a lot of knowledge and I'm sure would help you out there!

I am no expert here and I am not a huge guy in terms of a lot of the guys here. But I made a few changes to my routine and have had some pretty damn good success.

You are your own experiment, have some fun with it. Depression is a real thing we have all been there, do your best to cope pull yourself back up and keep moving forward.

It seems with this sport its usually two steps forward one step back, hang in there bro you got this! I'm rooting for you!

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
"Stiffin up that upper lip" -Eminem

I always find myself frustrated when I hear people upset that they just can't get the gains they want.

I have been in the gym for 30 years. It takes YEARS to look like me.

It will take years to be the best YOU.

If you haven't and aren't willing to put in the time, be satisfied. If you are willing to put in the time, do it and never be satisfied but use it to your advantage and push yourself harder.

Gym life is a lifestyle and you live it for life.

If your arms suck, then train them harder....for YEARS to get them where you want them. If they still don't grow, take a few weeks off from the gym then kick their ass even harder.

I give the same one liner every time these kids come up to me and ask how to look like me. "SHOW UP EVERY DAY"

Consistency is key and will win over genetics every fuking time if they aren't showing up.

Never be satisfied but NEVER feel sorry for yourself

Reaction score
You are 45 and you have already had a stroke. I am 43 and let me tell you something the window to make gains is closing. Age related decline will soon be more than anything will offsett. If you are going to do it the time is now. Don't you want too live before you die?

Reaction score
Also you are probably depressed due to low hormone levels anyway blast that shit eat more and get huge you are going to die someday regardless

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Arms are my weak point as well bro. Honestly, I make the best gains when I dont have an arm day. I havent had an arm day for over 10 years, and they finally started catching up to the rest of my body when I stopped. Many people over work their arms. Dont forget, they are also being trained on backs, shoulder and chest day. I usually only do 2 exercises for tri's after chest and 2 for bi's after back.

As for if you should use, I'd not recommend it if your blood pressure is the finicky. I use smaller cycles, nothing over 1.5gs all together, but I do stack multiple steroids at a time, and my bp never gets over 140/80.

You're gonna need patients and determination to teach your goals. Noone can reach you that but yourself.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest getting real .. you've been here less than 2 months ... if your real life is anything like your posting its time for a serious wake up call.

You don't need more advise - more AAS - a different workout ... you simply need to put in the work ... BSP said it ... it takes years and decades to build a serious physique ... there is a reason why the rest of us do not hit those levels .. we simply do not put in the work year after year ... eating right and working out like a dog ... we work for a few months then we take off the next few months .. get back to it for a month and wonder why we do not look like Arnold in his prime ... you have to decide if your going to get the results you want or continue making excuses ... you cannot do both.

I never seriously worked out until my mid 40's when I started trt and wanted to get serious quality pvssy after my divorce ... it took me 2 years of working out 5 times per week with a trainer just looked like I worked out at all (nothing great) .. I have been no where near as consistent over these 10 years as I should have been .. literally taking many months off multiple times ... but you'll never hear me complain about why I don't look like Snake or BSP (plus many others that have earned their killer physiques here as well) .. those guys are living examples of consistency ... and an inspiration for the rest of us who are striving to improve but often fall short.

Look in the mirror right now and take responsibility for where you are right now ... its no mystery .. you've not done the work (no where near what is required) .. that is same the for all of us ... people often complain about genetics this or I strained my left pecker-holder ... again excuses .. choose RESULTS or EXCUSES ... its clear what side you're on today .. decide to put in the work .. start a workout journal here .. prove to yourself and everyone you're gonna do the work ... or run back home to mommie like the 95% does .. and get exactly the body you deserve ... either way you will have the body you deserved.

Reaction score
Brother you may not want to hear this. But f the roids. If you are on Trt stick with that. Health is more important. If you are training g like a beast you gotta eat like one. Eat healthy and train. Keep yourself in a good head space. F genetics. I am also your going to be 46 next month. To give yourself the best body that is for you. Just train and live life. What are your goals. Everyone wants to be jacked. It may not be in the cards for some. Don’t get discouraged and keep trucking on.
I tell my kids this and it’s the best honest advice I can give.
if you give it your all then You can never say you should have done more and you will never feel like you cheated yourself.
peace my brother.. ��

Crom

Reaction score
Also you are probably depressed due to low hormone levels anyway blast that shit eat more and get huge you are going to die someday regardless
Dude, I know your kind of new here but your short responses to my posts always make me feel better. Good looking out. Thanks!

Crom

Reaction score
I'd suggest getting real .. you've been here less than 2 months ... if your real life is anything like your posting its time for a serious wake up call.

You don't need more advise - more AAS - a different workout ... you simply need to put in the work ... BSP said it ... it takes years and decades to build a serious physique ... there is a reason why the rest of us do not hit those levels .. we simply do not put in the work year after year ... eating right and working out like a dog ... we work for a few months then we take off the next few months .. get back to it for a month and wonder why we do not look like Arnold in his prime ... you have to decide if your going to get the results you want or continue making excuses ... you cannot do both.

I never seriously worked out until my mid 40's when I started trt and wanted to get serious quality pvssy after my divorce ... it took me 2 years of working out 5 times per week with a trainer just looked like I worked out at all (nothing great) .. I have been no where near as consistent over these 10 years as I should have been .. literally taking many months off multiple times ... but you'll never hear me complain about why I don't look like Snake or BSP (plus many others that have earned their killer physiques here as well) .. those guys are living examples of consistency ... and an inspiration for the rest of us who are striving to improve but often fall short.

Look in the mirror right now and take responsibility for where you are right now ... its no mystery .. you've not done the work (no where near what is required) .. that is same the for all of us ... people often complain about genetics this or I strained my left pecker-holder ... again excuses .. choose RESULTS or EXCUSES ... its clear what side you're on today .. decide to put in the work .. start a workout journal here .. prove to yourself and everyone you're gonna do the work ... or run back home to mommie like the 95% does .. and get exactly the body you deserve ... either way you will have the body you deserved.

Thanks. It's been five days a week and I've been fortunate, I've made gains fast. I just fall off like you described. I hate sounding this way. Diets been shit. I don't think I've been working as hard as I can.
I'm a bit competitive also. Some people touch weights and grow. I'm happy for them - but it pisses me off knowing I'm working twice as hard for scraps.
I think my hormones are bit ****ed up. I'll get my period and feel better. :32 (18):

Crom

Reaction score
"Stiffin up that upper lip" -Eminem

I always find myself frustrated when I hear people upset that they just can't get the gains they want.

I have been in the gym for 30 years. It takes YEARS to look like me.

It will take years to be the best YOU.

If you haven't and aren't willing to put in the time, be satisfied. If you are willing to put in the time, do it and never be satisfied but use it to your advantage and push yourself harder.

Gym life is a lifestyle and you live it for life.

If your arms suck, then train them harder....for YEARS to get them where you want them. If they still don't grow, take a few weeks off from the gym then kick their ass even harder.

I give the same one liner every time these kids come up to me and ask how to look like me. "SHOW UP EVERY DAY"

Consistency is key and will win over genetics every fuking time if they aren't showing up.

Never be satisfied but NEVER feel sorry for yourself

I'm not happy about my post. My head was in bad place. People have been grinding way longer than me. If I want it, I'm gonna need to step it up and go harder than I have.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Brother, you said you have 17" arms. I'm sorry but I wouldn't exactly call those twigs. Maybe they don't have the peak you want, or the definition, but they are 17".

So you lost 1/2", and you're doing extra arm workouts. Guess what, you probably depleted glycogen in the muscles. Sure I'm speculating, but it's not blind speculation. Go have a refeed day, or two... your muscles will be full and you will probably regain the 1/2" that you lost.

I am never the person to give an answer that lets a person take the easy path. It's easy to tell someone to go blast (I'm not against it.. just saying it's easy). It's a lot harder to sit down with a person, evaluate their diet relative to their workout routine, and determine if they need to either increase calories or adjust how they alot their macros, so that they can gain optimally. There's no doubt that androgens make it easier to grow, however you will not grow if your diet isn't tuned for it. There's also nutrient timing; i.e. what is your post workout meal, are you spiking GI enough to get a strong insulin response, etc etc.

I will also say that your cheat yesterday of eating carrot cake and brownies was a good thing. I'm willing to bet that you really need the occassional extra carb load.

Stop being a little bitch, personally I think you are good to go. We are our own worst judges when it comes to this kind of thing. Blast if you want to; I have no problems with that, but personally I think you will grow if you just give it time. TRT is not magic in a bottle. Neither is dbol, deca or any other compound you might stack on top of it. Sure those particular compounds will help you gain mass, but unless everything else is dialed in then you'll probably end up looking like a water balloon.

You're lucky that the real Crom doesn't come into this post and bitch slap you with his earth god hands. :32 (16)::beaten:

Blacktail

Reaction score
It took me years to get to the point where I am now, and that’s not much compared to most guys on this board. Stick with it, change things up regularly.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also am not a huge guy. Currently weighing in the low 190s at 5’10”. I have a connective tissue disorder that affects my ability to grow. Like you I see guys who just look at the iron and put on 10 lbs. I’ve been at this game since I was 16. I’m 37 now and still at it. I’ve managed to gain about 50 lbs in the last couple decades. You have to show up every day and get your mind in it. Start tracking your workouts. Eat and then eat some more. Live and breathe this lifestyle and then you’ll see progress albeit it comes slowly if you do everything right. As for blasting I would probably just cruise. Good luck to ya!

Crom

Reaction score
Brother, you said you have 17" arms. I'm sorry but I wouldn't exactly call those twigs. Maybe they don't have the peak you want, or the definition, but they are 17".

So you lost 1/2", and you're doing extra arm workouts. Guess what, you probably depleted glycogen in the muscles. Sure I'm speculating, but it's not blind speculation. Go have a refeed day, or two... your muscles will be full and you will probably regain the 1/2" that you lost.

I am never the person to give an answer that lets a person take the easy path. It's easy to tell someone to go blast (I'm not against it.. just saying it's easy). It's a lot harder to sit down with a person, evaluate their diet relative to their workout routine, and determine if they need to either increase calories or adjust how they alot their macros, so that they can gain optimally. There's no doubt that androgens make it easier to grow, however you will not grow if your diet isn't tuned for it. There's also nutrient timing; i.e. what is your post workout meal, are you spiking GI enough to get a strong insulin response, etc etc.

I will also say that your cheat yesterday of eating carrot cake and brownies was a good thing. I'm willing to bet that you really need the occassional extra carb load.

Stop being a little bitch, personally I think you are good to go. We are our own worst judges when it comes to this kind of thing. Blast if you want to; I have no problems with that, but personally I think you will grow if you just give it time. TRT is not magic in a bottle. Neither is dbol, deca or any other compound you might stack on top of it. Sure those particular compounds will help you gain mass, but unless everything else is dialed in then you'll probably end up looking like a water balloon.

You're lucky that the real Crom doesn't come into this post and bitch slap you with his earth god hands. :32 (16)::beaten:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. 16 1/2. 17inch with a pump. Dude, I really need to get my diet on point. I'm also gonna train ****ing harder. I need a consistent split with some arm days in it.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of body dysmorphia. Thanks for signing up.

Even though you are currently in better shape than 98% of the male population, you’ll never look big enough or lean enough through your own eyes. This perception of yours is your reality but not an objective truth.

When I look in the mirror I see all my weak points. I see myself as small and not lean enough. When I look at a picture standing next to non lifestyle folks I look huge. My reality isn’t an objective reality, but that doesn’t make it any less real.

This shit isn’t easy and you’ll never be satisfied. That’s the nature of the game. Only compare yourself to your former self and be consistent.

Blood, sweat and YEARS.

There is absolutely nothing you have to be anything but proud about.

Also, you don’t need steroids to look like a freak. I’ll show you in 10 days once I post pics from a tren cycle and from my current cut with 150 trt only.

Get it bro.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^ yup

Body dysmorphia is legit. I'm a clinical psychologist and see it often- its one of the most difficult conditions to treat. Back in the day I looked pretty decent- 5'10" 265 33" waist. I have these recollections of laying a t-shirt on my bed and thinking it looks like a fn tent- but when I put it on- I felt small af. Our brains lie to us all the time. As others have said- you probably look better than 99% of the guys out there- but at the same time- f that- you want to be the best version of yourself and so do I. I started training again after a decade of inactivity and fully intend to look better than I did in my 20's. You can do it too- the days of crazy gains is not over for us (im in my 40's as well).

Your mileage may vary but I'm working with an ifbb pro/coach and am finding it well worth the money (1000$ every 12 weeks). At the end of the day- this guy forgot more than I know about nutrition. We talk every week and fine tune my diet and training regiment. Between having 4 kids under 8- a solo private practice- and being a homeowner- I like having someone who looks at my pics/stats each week and tells me exactly what to eat. We collaborate on training since I'm fairly knowledgable but even then some stuff this guy comes up with I never would have known. Stay in the moment and capitalize on every bite and every rep. You'll get there with or without gear. Good luck my friend.
Peter

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I'm not here to give people a pat on the back and say you can cry on my shoulder. I'm here to give you a swift, kick to the ass.

You're not happy with how your arms look. Take a look at your training. See what you've been doing and what you could possibly change to make new progress.

This isn't easy which is why so many don't do this. They take the easy way out of saying... I have bad genetics. I can't grow... I can't... I can't. Stop saying can't and start working and believing. Speak it into fruition. You want to be bigger, build that mind muscle connection. Envision the muscles growing. Train, eat, rest, repeat.

Get to work...

New Threads