Diet to gain 20lbs of muscle

Reaction score
Your vids and threads have been super helpful so far. I’m trying to get a good idea of what I need to be eating on a daily basis. I’d like to bulk up about 15-20 pounds of muscle.

I currently weigh 150lbs and 5’3”. Over the last 5 years my weight has fluctuated between 125lbs and 165lbs. Body fat % 12%-25%.

I believe I should be consuming at least 2700 calories and 150-200g of protein?

I workout 4-5x a week lifting and mix in some cardio. Should I give up cardio all together?

On a separate note, my testosterone is at about 400. If I did trt and get it to 1200 will that help?

I’m turning 40 this summer

Reaction score
Should I give up cardio all together?
No. Your heart is your most important muscle, you should continue to train it.

2700 calories
great place to start. weigh yourself after restroom every morning. after 7 days make a decision based on the trend. you should be gaining .5lbs per week.

150-200g of protein
200g

4-5x a week lifting
lay out your split in detail. sets, weights, reps, movements

my testosterone is at about 400. If I did trt and get it to 1200 will that help?
if by help you mean build muscle faster, then yes.

however, this is not a decision to take lightly.

are you having any low t symptoms?

Reaction score
My two cents on TRT. I am currently on it and think it helps. But there are two things to consider, one it's a life commitment, and two willyour doctor allow you to reach 1200?

My doctor stopped upping my dose when I hit 600. Per his instructions I should take 100mg once per week. So now I am running 200mg per week split into two 100mg injections and feel mentally better. I will be running my own labs to see how my body is doing. But I need to come back down to his level els before my next visit. I also want to put on 20 lbs of muscle by the end of the year.

Reaction score
My two cents on TRT. I am currently on it and think it helps. But there are two things to consider, one it's a life commitment, and two willyour doctor allow you to reach 1200?

My doctor stopped upping my dose when I hit 600. Per his instructions I should take 100mg once per week. So now I am running 200mg per week split into two 100mg injections and feel mentally better. I will be running my own labs to see how my body is doing. But I need to come back down to his level els before my next visit. I also want to put on 20 lbs of muscle by the end of the year.
I have friends that own a wellness center and they will administer testosterone if my blood work shows I’m under 600. They say their target is 1200 and then cap me at that

Reaction score
No. Your heart is your most important muscle, you should continue to train it.

great place to start. weigh yourself after restroom every morning. after 7 days make a decision based on the trend. you should be gaining .5lbs per week.

200g

lay out your split in detail. sets, weights, reps, movements

if by help you mean build muscle faster, then yes.

however, this is not a decision to take lightly.

are you having any low t symptoms?
The only low t symptom I’d say is not as energetic all the time as I used to be. I really just want to increase it for muscle gains.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d like to bulk up about 15-20 pounds of muscle.

I currently weigh 150lbs and 5’3”. Over the last 5 years my weight has fluctuated between 125lbs and 165lbs. Body fat % 12%-25%.

Stop the yo-yo diet, lock into something and stick with it. I haven't fluctuated more than 10 lbs in the last 20 years excluding competing.

Slow and steady gains is where it's at. 15 lbs of muscle on a 5'-3" frame would be massive. 5 lbs of pure muscle is a good goal.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you guys, you ain't putting on 20 pounds of muscle in a year. 20 lbs of fat water and a bit of muscle, sure. Read Snake's post. Go to the store and look at a lean 3 lb beef roast. This comes through me to you straight from an Olympia competitor. 5 lbs of muscle in a year is incredible for ANY level of bodybuilding. This also from the same pro: It all goes away. All of it.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
It’s an impossible question. It’s a stupid question.
Stop thinking about x amount of muscle and instead ask yourself when was the last time you treated training and eating correctly for your goal like a job.
When was the last time you missed a training session? When was the last time you missed a meal or ate off plan?
When was the last time you prioritized anything over training, nutrition and rest?
Do you even know how to train or the basics of nutrition for growth?
You’re putting the cart before the horse.

Reaction score
It’s an impossible question. It’s a stupid question.
Stop thinking about x amount of muscle and instead ask yourself when was the last time you treated training and eating correctly for your goal like a job.
When was the last time you missed a training session? When was the last time you missed a meal or ate off plan?
When was the last time you prioritized anything over training, nutrition and rest?
Do you even know how to train or the basics of nutrition for growth?
You’re putting the cart before the horse.
Not sure about the original poster but I haven't gone off a meal plan for the last 1.7 years. Everything I ha e eaten has been logged and tracked. Even when I plan to have a cheat meal while on Christmas break my head wouldn't allow it. Unfortunately I train even when currently my static nerve hurts due to something with my hamstrings.
I know I won't hit 20 lbs of lean mass by the end of the year but it's a goal to have. I am currently 6'4" and 180 lbs. Feel free to see my journey on my introduction and my log. I am very methodical. I do appreciate all the constructive feed back. So thank you.

Test_subject

Who Deleted My PMs?
Reaction score
So my immediate question is, why do you need to gain precisely 20 lbs of muscle?

Jonjon

Reaction score
Hate to break it to you guys, you ain't putting on 20 pounds of muscle in a year. 20 lbs of fat water and a bit of muscle, sure. Read Snake's post. Go to the store and look at a lean 3 lb beef roast. This comes through me to you straight from an Olympia competitor. 5 lbs of muscle in a year is incredible for ANY level of bodybuilding. This also from the same pro: It all goes away. All of it.

The last part makes me sad…

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
It is possible to gain 15-20lbs of muscle if you set a realistic goal. Give yourself 5 years of consistent lifting and proper diet and you will get there.

New Threads