Distal Biceps Tendon Tear

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Just got the results from my MRI this afternoon

There is a complete tear of the distal biceps insertion with retraction by approximately 5.0 cm the tendon is retracted to the level of lacertus fibrosis. There is significant edema extending from the radial tuberosity to the retracted tendon and over the area of lacertus fibrosis.

Impression: Complete tear of the distal biceps with significant retraction and edema.

Looks like I’ll be having surgery soon. Does anyone have experience in this and are willing to share some recovery tips? Prognosis is good, usually a full recovery after 3-4 months.

That’s what I get for one arming a 20’ 16x2” LVL stone cold.

Attachments

• F1BE2A05-0EED-44C5-AE69-E356B8DEA30C.jpeg
    F1BE2A05-0EED-44C5-AE69-E356B8DEA30C.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 30

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Yikes. That sucks!

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Yeah I’m slightly retarded… forget I’m not in my 20’s anymore sometimes.

I’ll never forget that tearing sound and pop… like velcro giving way to a suction cup.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I’m slightly retarded… forget I’m not in my 20’s anymore sometimes.

I’ll never forget that tearing sound and pop… like velcro giving way to a suction cup.
I know that sound very well. Wasn't my biceps tendon tbough. Both athletic guys who I've known that snapped theirs, they both recovered well, no issues that I'm aware of.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Ouch, reading your post gave me the ebittybejibbities. Get well and proper therapy. The best.

sfw509

Reaction score
Best of luck with your treatment and recovery.

Reaction score
Damn, that's not good, and hopefully surgery will go well but recovery gonna be a bitch.

Those engineered wood beams are f'n heavy for damn sure and it's a good idea for 2 people to "team lift" them due to their weight as they are heavier than standard lumber.

Jaydub

Elite
Reaction score
Been down this road man. Surgery, PT, slowly building it back up. It is a long journey. Best of luck to ya

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I’ve decided to opt for a longer wait before surgery to get the best Ortho in the area. This will push it to close to 2 weeks since the tear, but I believe it’s worth it.

I’ll update this thread on the regular in case anyone can find help from this in the future from my mistake.

• Love
Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
Thanks all.

I’ve decided to opt for a longer wait before surgery to get the best Ortho in the area. This will push it to close to 2 weeks since the tear, but I believe it’s worth it.

I’ll update this thread on the regular in case anyone can find help from this in the future from my mistake.
Sorry to hear man, but there are absolutely worse injuries so be blessed with that. The good news is that the surgery is very straight forward, takes about half an hour and the tendon goes back to it's original spot. It's called a distal biceps tenodesis if you wanted to look into it more. Listen to your surgeon's recommendations as far as recovery and PT, do not overdo it and think that youre superman. It's pretty rare for complications from this surgery.

I would be aware of your time though if this gets pushed back. It is definitely recommended to get this repair done ASAP (not saying it's emergent) because your body is already trying to heal right now. Often patients will have this surgery done the same week that they are seen in the office for the initial visit.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Haven't done it myself but know a couple who have had that happen in strength sports. One in PLing and one in SM. They made full recoveries. I would say follow the directions / protocols / rehab to the letter and I'm sure you'll be back to lifting in no time.

Reactions: CJ

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Speedy recovery.

From what I've read, recovery is long but very promising in this type of injury.
You can be back in the gym and curling in less than 6 months.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just got the results from my MRI this afternoon

There is a complete tear of the distal biceps insertion with retraction by approximately 5.0 cm the tendon is retracted to the level of lacertus fibrosis. There is significant edema extending from the radial tuberosity to the retracted tendon and over the area of lacertus fibrosis.

Impression: Complete tear of the distal biceps with significant retraction and edema.

Looks like I’ll be having surgery soon. Does anyone have experience in this and are willing to share some recovery tips? Prognosis is good, usually a full recovery after 3-4 months.

That’s what I get for one arming a 20’ 16x2” LVL stone cold.

Well I’m in same boat ,I have torn labrum ligament and torn rotator cuff due for surgery September 13 and I dread it guys I’ll be out for recovery 3-4 months but will be lifting light but nothing heavy for 2-3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man… I’ve torn my labrum before in high school and didn’t get surgery but healed it myself and went on to putting up some serious numbers. Truth be told both of my cuffs are shot and could use a rebuild but I lift around it. I can’t work around this though so here I go…

I plan on still working out 3-4x a week doing what I can, tricep and bicep dumbbell everything on my left arm… the right is dominant and will catch itself up when healed…

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man… I’ve torn my labrum before in high school and didn’t get surgery but healed it myself and went on to putting up some serious numbers. Truth be told both of my cuffs are shot and could use a rebuild but I lift around it. I can’t work around this though so here I go…

I plan on still working out 3-4x a week doing what I can, tricep and bicep dumbbell everything on my left arm… the right is dominant and will catch itself up when healed…

I’ve been on cortisone shots and PT the last 2 months and it hasn’t helped so I have no other choice ya know man,plus my age it’s gonna take longer to heal on its own if I don’t get anything done to it so I decided to get it fixed now and let it heal so I can continue to lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Threads