DLTBB - Classic Physique & Hiking Up Peaks

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
The father of 4 in me feels compelled to look up over my news paper and say something like ... Maybe if ya stopped running around on snowy mountain peaks working on your Yeti impersonation you wouldn't be feeling a bit under the weather ? ... :ROFLMAO: :cool:
That's the only thing that keeps me sane at times Yano! Looking forward to getting another one planned, actually.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
That's the only thing that keeps me sane at times Yano! Looking forward to getting another one planned, actually.
I'm the same way with my cardio , I find it very zen , I just keep counting to 60 and returning to the 1 over and over , moderate pace on the resistance I have , heart rate hits 124 - 126 and by the time Ive counted to 60 , roughly 35 times. My 30 minutes is up and im headed to the shower feeling like a shiny new penny.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I'm the same way with my cardio , I find it very zen , I just keep counting to 60 and returning to the 1 over and over , moderate pace on the resistance I have , heart rate hits 124 - 126 and by the time Ive counted to 60 , roughly 35 times. My 30 minutes is up and im headed to the shower feeling like a shiny new penny.
Like your own form of meditation. Good man. I might have to start the old counting 1-60 method myself to get me through some of the more mundane feeling cardio sessions.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Like your own form of meditation. Good man. I might have to start the old counting 1-60 method myself to get me through some of the more mundane feeling cardio sessions.
It reminds me of sitting za-zen , you will have thoughts crash in , memories , a tv advert from 25 years ago haahaaha its so wonderfully random and you just return to the 1 and let it all flow back into the universe , it really is calming.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
It reminds me of sitting za-zen , you will have thoughts crash in , memories , a tv advert from 25 years ago haahaaha its so wonderfully random and you just return to the 1 and let it all flow back into the universe , it really is calming.
I have this kind of thing happen when I’m in the middle of a particularly hard set sometimes. Some random thought from a field trip at school aged ~7 that I forgot I even remembered will pop in to my head. 😂 I never mentioned it because I thought I must have some kind of brain condition but maybe I’m going in to some kind of zen state and unlocking old memories.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I have this kind of thing happen when I’m in the middle of a particularly hard set sometimes. Some random thought from a field trip at school aged ~7 that I forgot I even remembered will pop in to my head. 😂 I never mentioned it because I thought I must have some kind of brain condition but maybe I’m going in to some kind of zen state and unlocking old memories.
A few of us back in the day practiced za-zen and would sit for hours. An I also thought I was a bit mad and kept things like that to my self until one of our friends mentioned , called it "the deafening roar of complete silence" and how it channeled in these odd thoughts and memories ... and we ALL were like Yesss !! and then looked around the room in this odd moment of brotherhood and understanding like ,,, Thank God were not all crazy.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I've been wanting to re-shuffle the training a little bit for a while now. I love PPL and I think it's probably given me the most gains out of any split I've done over the years but I fancy trying something a bit different. I'll still end up training 6 days a week because I go stir-crazy when I'm sat at home, so I'll continue to split the training over 6 sessions. Cardio will stay in at 20-25 minutes per session at 140+ BPM (depends how much energy I have on the day, sometimes I'll veer closer to 160) to maintain some fitness/look after my heart. Legs I'll still hit twice a week with one day more quad-focused and one day more hamstrings. I'm thinking of trying chest/back in the same session but rotating from one chest exercise to one back exercise back and forth so I can recoup some energy in between exercises and hopefully hit some higher top sets on my compounds. And then the other day will be shoulders/arms. My shoulders don't need tons of focus but I feel like my biceps/triceps will benefit from being fresh in the session rather than being tacked on after hitting back or chest in my usual push/pull sessions. Abs and mobility work I'll do from home as usual.

May read as gobbledygook because I am just spit-balling but I will try it out over the week and see how I feel/report back.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
3rd January

Cardio:

• 25 minutes incline treadmill 140-150BPM
Chest & Back:
  • Chest-supported T-bar row 3 sets 12, 10, 8 (4 plates) - Wider grip & more upper-back focused
  • Flat barbell bench press 3 sets 10, 8, 8 (top set of 8 150KG) 1 set to failure with 130KG (failed after 14 reps) - Felt good to have some blood in the upper back before pressing actually!
  • Wide-grip pull-up 3 sets to failure (Bodyweight, purposely failing by 20 reps with slow negatives, pauses, dead hangs etc as set progressed).
  • Incline Hammer Strength press 3 sets 10, 8, 8 (4.5 plates per side top set)
  • Pec-deck 3 sets 12, 10, 10 - Lower chest focused
  • Iliac pull 3 sets 10, 8, 8
Misc:
  • Full body mobility routine (the video below is what I do daily for anybody interested in working on their own mobility, it’s helped me immensely).

Bloody hell. Could barely lift my arms to put my hoodie back on after that. Pump was immense. Hitting chest and back back-to-back is never something I’ve done before. Gassed me out badly but I felt as if the exercise sequence worked well e.g. the upper back being pumped and feeling open when going in to pressing.

I have a very minor dry cough. I hope I’m not coming down with something as I am keen to get off to a good start this year. Me and the Mrs have sat down together and written out some goals and changes for the better we’re both making after a bit of a falling out on our pre-NYE night out. We’re all good now and I think if anything it’s brought us closer together and we know we’ve got things to work on together. Hoping to get her training with me a couple of days a week soon!

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
4th January

Cardio:

• 20 minutes incline treadmill 140-150BPM
Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps:
  • Plate-loaded shoulder press 3 sets 6-8 reps - Would've went with a DB press for this session ideally, but trained by myself unexpectedly and feel I can push the envelope a little more weight wise with a plate-loaded press, either way, PB at 6 reps this session
  • Cable Y-raise 3 sets 8-12 reps - Went into a drop set on set 3
  • Inverted row 2 sets to failure
  • Standing DB curl (single arm) 3 sets 6-10 reps = Was planning to do EZ-Bar but watched a video from hypertrophycoach earlier in the day about how he prefers DB, gave it a try & preferred it
  • Weighted dip 3 sets 6-10 reps
  • Cross-body cable extension 3 sets 8=12 reps - Drop set for set 3
  • Machine preacher curl 3 sets 8-12 reps - Drop set for set 3
Misc:
  • Full body mobility routine (slightly condensed version compared to yesterday, 22 minutes rather than 37).

Still trying to figure out the right volume for the sessions etc., so things may change over the next couple of weeks. This felt about right and I did feel like I moved more weight for exercise 1 on shoulders, biceps and triceps than I usually would have as they were placed in the PPL split. But again, early days and still need to figure out what works best.

Had a wholesome moment speaking to a Dad and his 14 year old son who’s 1 week in to training. Must’ve weighed 100lbs tops. Told him I started at his age and was smaller and told him to focus on technique and worry about weight later down the line.

Still feel a bit under the weather but it's not any worse than it was yesterday which I feel is a good sign. Continuing with the cold/flu tablets and high dose Vit C. Got some MT2 also, but I'll hold off on starting with that until I feel 100%. I'm looking a bit pasty at the moment.

Calum Von Moger is making a comeback after drug addiction/near death experience/avoiding a prison sentence. It will be interesting to see how much size and shape he can gain back. His physique was nuts a few years ago. He must have been one of the most popular/well known faces in fitness at the time.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Sleep quality is up at the moment. Like I slept through from 11PM til 6:30AM continuously. Usually it’d take me longer to drift off and I’d be up 3 times in the night. So I feel more well rested for sure. But I’m waking up with pains/aches in my mid-upper back. Not sure if it’s the position I’m sleeping in or whatever. It usually fades as the day goes on. Anybody ever had this?

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Sleep quality is up at the moment. Like I slept through from 11PM til 6:30AM continuously. Usually it’d take me longer to drift off and I’d be up 3 times in the night. So I feel more well rested for sure. But I’m waking up with pains/aches in my mid-upper back. Not sure if it’s the position I’m sleeping in or whatever. It usually fades as the day goes on. Anybody ever had this?
I usually sleep only 2 or 3 hours at a time , and im up by 3am most nights. When I do crash like that and sleep for 7 or 8 hours I wake up feeling rested in my head but my body feels like its been in a car crash. Back , hips , shoulder will all be stiff and take time to loosen up.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I usually sleep only 2 or 3 hours at a time , and im up by 3am most nights. When I do crash like that and sleep for 7 or 8 hours I wake up feeling rested in my head but my body feels like its been in a car crash. Back , hips , shoulder will all be stiff and take time to loosen up.
Maybe my body just isn't used to being prone/in the same position for an extended period because I'm usually up so often.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Maybe my body just isn't used to being prone/in the same position for an extended period because I'm usually up so often.
One of the worst things that can happen when I wake up like that is sneezing. Spine from my neck to mid lats will snap n pop like some one cracking their knuckles and can take my breath away for a moment.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
One of the worst things that can happen when I wake up like that is sneezing. Spine from my neck to mid lats will snap n pop like some one cracking their knuckles and can take my breath away for a moment.
I've had this a few times. My Mrs looks at me like WTF afterwards.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Actually managed to have a rest day. Almost persuaded myself to go and train because I feel lazy when I don’t. But I’m not 100% and have had a couple of tiring sessions on the bounce. Wouldn’t have done me any good. Spent 20-25 minutes following a routine for spinal flexion/extension. My back feels better but I reckon I’ll still wake up with a bit of soreness. Due to train legs tomorrow so hoping I’m over the worst of this cold.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
6th January

Cardio:

• 15 minutes cross-trainer 160+ BPM
Legs:
  • Leg press 5 sets 6-12 rep range - Look at the state of my gym’s horrible makeshift leg press contraption below, legitimately fees dangerous loading it with any significant weight! 😂
  • Bulgarian split squats 2 sets 10-12 rep range
  • Abductor/adductor superset 2 rounds to failure 15-20 rep range
  • Leg extension 3 sets 8-12 rep range
  • Lying leg curl 3 sets 6-10 rep range
  • Standing calf raise 5 sets 8-15 rep range
Misc:
  • 15 minute hip mobility
Dodgy looking leg press:

My gym is shocking at the moment. 2/3 treadmills and 1/2 stationary bikes out of order and 4 broken machines. They’ve just got a new chairman so hopefully they sort things out soon or I’m going to have to look elsewhere. It’s only a small gym with limited cardio equipment to begin with so they can’t afford to have so much kit out of order.

Yesterday’s rest did me some good but I’m still not 100%.

Been pretty consistent with my food this week and prepared/cooked every meal. Ordering something in tonight as the Mrs is out with friends but going to keep it reasonable and still hit calories/protein.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
7th January

Cardio:

Chest & Back:
  • Narrow-grip pull-down 3 sets 6-8 rep range (105KG top set) - Had to recruit randoms to help me pull down the initial rep while I get my knees under the pads because it’s a fair bit heavier than my bodyweight & shorts arms. 🥲
  • Flat plate-loaded press 3 sets 6-8 rep range (5 plates per side top set)
  • Hammer Strength iso row 3 sets 8-10 rep range
  • Incline press (45 degrees) 3 sets 8-10 rep range (110KG) - Should probably stick to lesser incline in future as I did feel my shoulders getting involved more than I’d have liked.
  • Neutral grip pull-up 3 sets to failure (bodyweight)
  • Cable fly 3 sets 10-12 rep range
Misc:
  • 9 sets core

I know I look retarded but I feel like I’m thickening up.

Going to watch Avatar 2 later with the Mrs so going to save some room for popcorn, pick & mix etc.

Reader591

Reaction score
7th January

Cardio:

Chest & Back:
  • Narrow-grip pull-down 3 sets 6-8 rep range (105KG top set) - Had to recruit randoms to help me pull down the initial rep while I get my knees under the pads because it’s a fair bit heavier than my bodyweight & shorts arms. 🥲
  • Flat plate-loaded press 3 sets 6-8 rep range (5 plates per side top set)
  • Hammer Strength iso row 3 sets 8-10 rep range
  • Incline press (45 degrees) 3 sets 8-10 rep range (110KG) - Should probably stick to lesser incline in future as I did feel my shoulders getting involved more than I’d have liked.
  • Neutral grip pull-up 3 sets to failure (bodyweight)
  • Cable fly 3 sets 10-12 rep range
Misc:
  • 9 sets core

I know I look retarded but I feel like I’m thickening up.

Going to watch Avatar 2 later with the Mrs so going to save some room for popcorn, pick & mix etc.
You’re a big dude, looking good!

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
8th January

Cardio:

Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps:
  • Plate-loaded seated press 3 sets 4-8 rep range (Failed last set which was due to be a PR of 6 at 4 reps, overly slow with negatives and exhausted myself - my fault)
  • Lateral DB raise 3 sets 8-12 reps
  • Single cable rear delt fly 3 sets 8-12 reps
  • Machine close grip press 3 sets 10-12 reps (stacks at 145KG and handled this fine)
  • DB hammer curl 3 sets 8-10 reps
  • Lean away cable curl 3 sets 10-12 reps
  • Rope push-down 3 sets 10-12 reps (trying with that rocking back/forth style I’ve seen online a little recently, first time trying)
Misc:
  • 30 minutes mobility to be completed later today
Enjoyable. Was warming up with a band and it snapped in two and slapped my hands. Lucky I wasn’t doing face pulls or it’d have seriously stung.

Avatar 2 was good. CGI nowadays is insane. The world they’ve built in those movies is incredible.

Chilling for the rest of the day. Eating, stretching, lying down and ticking off emails. Feel really tired. Still not fully over this cold & sleep wasn’t 100% last night so taking it easy.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
9th January

Cardio:

• N/A
Legs
  • SLDL 3 sets 6-8 rep range
  • Standing calf raise 5 sets 6-12 rep range (PB on 6 rep set) 1 set of 20 as a back off to finish - Exercise order is kind of f*cked up because everybody is training legs today apparently. 🤷
  • Pendulum squat 3 sets 5-8 rep range - One of the best machines around IMO. Was due a 6 rep set for the 3rd but had to bail out.
  • Single machine hack squat 3 sets 8-10 rep range
  • Leg extension superset lying leg curl 3 rounds 10-12 rep range
Misc:
  • 30 minutes full body mobility routine ticked off this afternoon.
A young’un in the gym tapped me on the shoulder after a set of calf raises and said my calves are insane. I’ll take that. Asked what I do for ‘em etc. I said nothing out of the ordinary, just genetics and short ass limbs filling out super quick. Even so, a mid session compliment is always welcome.

Got a hike planned on Saturday. 4 hours or so and supposedly has some scary climbing/scrambling sections. Hoping the weather isn’t too terrible.

New Threads