Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Here's a pretty revealing study on how much protein is actually stored as fat even when overeating.

Even when eating over maintenance calories, only half of the protein the subjects ate were converted to fat.

It gives a little twist to those who downplay micro nutrients and claim that a calorie is a calorie.

Thoughts?

From the article:

With the normal and high protein diets, only about 50% of the excess energy was stored as fat with most of the rest consumed (thermogenesis).

Link here

FearThaGear

Reaction score
I still say that you can change and recomp a body who does not get the proper amount of protein just by adjusting the protein intake of that individual without changing their calorie intakes.

Without any proof or any research to back the statement up, I will also say that the majority of obese people out there lack ample amount of protein in their diets.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I still say that you can change and recomp a body who does not get the proper amount of protein just by adjusting the protein intake of that individual without changing their calorie intakes.
Absolutely.

The body does not want to, nor is it even good at, turning protein into fat. Waaaaay too much chemical processes going on there. Just make ketone bodies.

Migmaster

Reaction score
Does that much get stored as fat when anabolic steroids are being used?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Almost no protein EVER gets stored as fat. Anabolics or not.

*I really want to say NONE, EVER, but I don't want to be so absolute.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Almost no protein EVER gets stored as fat. Anabolics or not.

*I really want to say NONE, EVER, but I don't want to be so absolute.
Zero science here but I don't buy into that.

Fat is our energy back up and a fair amount of what we use to eat was meat. Before I hear about animal fat, take a look at the animals we were eating; they were not some McDonalds cow.

Just doesn't make sence that our ancestor spent energy to equire energy only to piss it out.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've never been able to find any actual scientific studies where anabolics were used when testing that theory.

I think that there is a few reasons for that. One being a more political view of how steroids actually improve the body and the other being that being that steroids are illegal, they probably can't get the licensing to have enough subjects get prescribed anabolics to do the testing.

The world as a whole seems to be pushing and glorifying unhealthy things while oppressing lifestyles that can make you more healthy.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Fat is our energy back up and a fair amount of what we use to eat was meat. Before I hear about animal fat, take a look at the animals we were eating; they were not some McDonalds cow.

Just doesn't make sence that our ancestor spent energy to equire energy only to piss it out.
Not saying it doesn't get used, but to use your point of not spending energy to acquire energy, which do you think the efficient body would do....

A. The very energy intensive process of turning protein into glucose, then turn the non used glucose to fats, then store that as bodyfat, or....

B. The simple process of just storing the already consumed fats that are in the animal that was just killed and eaten.

Edit: and we always pee out excess nitrogen, is just a normal body process. That's why dog (and human) pee will burn grass, too much nitrogen

Last edited:

FearThaGear

Reaction score

You're definitely on to something here but I think when we talk about eating meat as a primary food source, we have to keep in mind that the animals that are and were eaten then still had fatty meat so they would be predominantly storing the fat.

If you take Eskimos for example, they eat and ate animals like bears, seals and whales which have high fat content.

This study is talking exclusively about protein not the fat content associated with a lot of different meats.

Reactions: CJ

FearThaGear

Reaction score
You're definitely on to something here but I think when we talk about eating meat as a primary food source, we have to keep in mind that the animals that are and were eaten then still had fatty meat so they would be predominantly storing the fat.

If you take Eskimos for example, they eat and ate animals like bears, seals and whales which have high fat content.

This study is talking exclusively about protein not the fat content associated with a lot of different meats.
I want to piggyback on what I said here and also mention that they also eat the organs of many animals like liver and kidneys and such which are very high in fat.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Not saying it doesn't get used, but to use your point of not spending energy to acquire energy, which do you think the efficient body would do....

A. The very energy intensive process of turning protein into glucose, then turn the non used glucose to fats, then store that as bodyfat, or....

B. The simple process of just storing the already consumed fats that are in the animal that was just killed and eaten.

Edit: and we always pee out excess nitrogen, is just a normal body process. That's why dog (and human) pee will burn grass, too much nitrogen
Oh I agree, it's not the most efficient way and it does take energy to process that.

I just think the amount is so small, it's not something you can count on for weight loss.