Fasted cardio exercise and fat oxidation

FearThaGear

Reaction score
I'm always looking at medical research for ways to improve my workouts as well as burning more fat easier.

Of course bro science is downplayed alot but what if some of those theories actually work?

I mean, bro science is what the old school bodybuilders used as their bible and well, it worked.

Sure some of it was just because they worked out, did cardio and watched their caloric intake vs those who did nothing but none the less, it worked.

Are there better ways? Sure but not all of what is classified bro science is wrong.

Anyway, I found this write up on PubMed about fasted and unfasted cardio that I found interesting that talks about the increased effects of fat oxidation when in a fasted state.

Does increased fat oxidation cause you to burn fat? If so, this study would prove that fasted cardio does indeed help to burn more fat than non fasted cardio.

We all know and understand (I think) that calories in equals calories out...but...we also understand (I think) that what calories you consume matter (ie protein vs fat) so if we can burn more fat while exercising, well...

Thoughts after reading this data?

Charger69

Reaction score
I'm always looking at medical research for ways to improve my workouts as well as burning more fat easier.

Of course bro science is downplayed alot but what if some of those theories actually work?

I mean, bro science is what the old school bodybuilders used as their bible and well, it worked.

Sure some of it was just because they worked out, did cardio and watched their caloric intake vs those who did nothing but none the less, it worked.

Are there better ways? Sure but not all of what is classified bro science is wrong.

Anyway, I found this write up on PubMed about fasted and unfasted cardio that I found interesting that talks about the increased effects of fat oxidation when in a fasted state.

Does increased fat oxidation cause you to burn fat? If so, this study would prove that fasted cardio does indeed help to burn more fat than non fasted cardio.

We all know and understand (I think) that calories in equals calories out...but...we also understand (I think) that what calories you consume matter (ie protein vs fat) so if we can burn more fat while exercising, well...

I have read numerous studies for everyone that says it does, there is one that says that it doesn’t. This is not a new report but from 2016.
The thing I did not like about this was they used data from a bunch of studies- each with its own purpose. I do agree with the conclusion, “ This suggests….” . This warrants its own study with common variables.
With all this being said, I do not think that fasted cardio has a significant effect on the natural person. If you add anabolics to the equation, then yes I do feel that it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score

Fat oxidation is just energy from fat stores being released into the blood stream, as triglycerides. Being fasted makes it easier to get to this state, as serum glucose should be low, as should any stores in the liver.

However, you can get into this state while not fasted also; just make sure your cardio is done after a low or moderate size carb meal, go do cardio, and either start your cardio off with about 5-10 minutes of all out cardio, and then proceed to move into LISS.. or tack on an extra 30 minutes to your 1 hour cardio session at low intensity for the entire duration.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
With all this being said, I do not think that fasted cardio has a significant effect on the natural person. If you add anabolics to the equation, then yes I do feel that it does.
I agree with this. I honestly don't think fasted cardio makes much of a difference, if any at all.

Now I admit that I do fasted cardio... but it's one of those things where the only reason why you are doing it is because "just in case it actually works", even though subconsciously I am fully aware that it doesn't matter much.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wake up do cardio then eat after .. If that’s considered fasted cardio that’s what I like to do .. How the hell can anyone do cardio with a stomach full of food and liquid ? At the most a half a banana... more important then food or fasting is that joint like to smoke before every cardio session I have ever done

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I wake up do cardio then eat after .. If that’s considered fasted cardio that’s what I like to do .. How the hell can anyone do cardio with a stomach full of food and liquid ? At the most a half a banana... more important then food or fasting is that joint like to smoke before every cardio session I have ever done
I also like to take a hit before cardio. Especially if I'm doing cardio outdoors, makes it so much more fun.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also like to take a hit before cardio. Especially if I'm doing cardio outdoors, makes it so much more fun.
I’ll use a straight sativa to get me all wired and ready to rock

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
In the moment doing fasted cardio, yes, more fat is being used as fuel. But if they have a meal post cardio that another group ate PREcardio, then in the period following cardio the second group would be burning fat while the fasted cardio group would use the meal they just ate as fuel. Evens itself out.

Can't just look at that one moment in time, you should look at the whole picture.

Now if performing fasted cardio causes you to eat less throughout the day, because your feeding window has been decreased, well that's a way to consume less Cals throughout the day.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've done any pot but I don't know that I would feel like doing anything more than sitting around and eating a buffet of food after doing it LOL.

I always do my cardio first thing in the morning before eating or after weight training.

I feel the same way about trying to do any type of cardio or anything that has me overheated or sweating on a full stomach. It's just an uncomfortable feeling.

I've seen tons of studies and read through them over the years about doing cardio fasted or not fasted and very seldom do I see anything that proves one is better than the other. I just prefer doing my cardio on an empty stomach.

I still see plenty of guys who swear by the fastest cardio method that look fantastic and have been doing it for decades with success but I'm sure there are those who do it unfasted who look just as good.

I just thought that this fat oxidation finding stood out more than others I've read.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
In the moment doing fasted cardio, yes, more fat is being used as fuel. But if they have a meal post cardio that another group ate PREcardio, then in the period following cardio the second group would be burning fat while the fasted cardio group would use the meal they just ate as fuel. Evens itself out.

Can't just look at that one moment in time, you should look at the whole picture.

Now if performing fasted cardio causes you to eat less throughout the day, because your feeding window has been decreased, well that's a way to consume less Cals throughout the day.
If you do in fact burn more fat as fuel during fasted cardio, then it would seem that you could adjust your pre-workout meals to contain less fat which may help in fat storage after the fact.

I scrutinize a lot of this information and I'm always looking for ways to get any type of edge even if it's just a small one.

I don't have a lot of problems with storing fat but I have been counting calories for as far back as I can remember and at this point it's just a habit.

On rare occasions where I go over my maintenance calories when trying to maintain my weight, I'm the crazy guy that will get on the treadmill until they're gone LOL.

I've got this odd phobia of being fat. I think potbelly's and flab is one of the most disgusting things on a human body.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you do in fact burn more fat as fuel during fasted cardio, then it would seem that you could adjust your pre-workout meals to contain less fat which may help in fat storage after the fact.
If you do the same exact meals(but at different times) with both fasted and non fasted cardio groups, how would the full 24 hour period be different?

FearThaGear

Reaction score
If you do the same exact meals(but at different times) with both fasted and non fasted cardio groups, how would the full 24 hour period be different?
In the back of my mind, I know that what you're saying makes sense because calories in equals calories out which means your body will burn what it needs to and any excess will be stored as fat.

When you put it that way, regardless of what you are burning whether it be carbs or fat during cardio, your overall body composition won't change if you keep the same meals and calories.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious brother. That makes complete sense.

Sometimes you just need to bounce things off of other people's minds to get you thinking straight again 👍

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
In the back of my mind, I know that what you're saying makes sense because calories in equals calories out which means your body will burn what it needs to and any excess will be stored as fat.

When you put it that way, regardless of what you are burning whether it be carbs or fat during cardio, your overall body composition won't change if you keep the same meals and calories.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious brother. That makes complete sense.

Sometimes you just need a bounce things off of other people's minds to get you thinking straight again 👍
Again though, if fasted cardio helps you to drop fat because you skip a meal, and you don't replace those Cals later in the day, it's a good plan.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Again though, if fasted cardio helps you to drop fat because you skip a meal, and you don't replace those Cals later in the day, it's a good plan.
Cardio make me hungry so that wouldn't work for me lol

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've done any pot but I don't know that I would feel like doing anything more than sitting around and eating a buffet of food after doing it LOL.

I always do my cardio first thing in the morning before eating or after weight training.

I feel the same way about trying to do any type of cardio or anything that has me overheated or sweating on a full stomach. It's just an uncomfortable feeling.

I've seen tons of studies and read through them over the years about doing cardio fasted or not fasted and very seldom do I see anything that proves one is better than the other. I just prefer doing my cardio on an empty stomach.

I still see plenty of guys who swear by the fastest cardio method that look fantastic and have been doing it for decades with success but I'm sure there are those who do it unfasted who look just as good.

I just thought that this fat oxidation finding stood out more than others I've read.
Fasted or not fasted I agree matters very little .. most important is to just do the cardio lol .. I’m weird with bud it gives me energy and focus

dirtys1x

Reaction score
It works. The mechanism is clear why it works. If your bodies glucose levels and glycogen stores are already depleted, it has no option but to use fat and AAs.

however, it really only works if you’re already in a caloric deficit. If you were doing fasted cardio and still eating over maintenance (or near) for the rest of the day.. then that fasted cardio isn’t really going to make much of a difference. I personally would rather just stick to the caloric deficit and save myself the timing and trouble of doing a fasted cardio session. You get to the same place.

you’re not going to be bulking and think you can lose fat each day by doing a fasted cardio session.

dirtys1x

Reaction score
It is an interesting conversation and the reality is no one really knows ... cutting fat is only assured when a calorie deficit is achieved over time ... cardio massively assists this process fasting or not ...
That’s right. Stick with what we know works! We know caloric deficits work - it’s the only way any of it works.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
you’re not going to be bulking and think you can lose fat each day by doing a fasted cardio session.
Maybe... because burning bodyfat and building muscle are two independent processes. If they weren't, you'd never be able to heal an injury while on a diet.

I do think though that as you ramp up one, the other gets pulled back, which makes recomp so maddenly frustrating, yet the unicorn everyone chases.