Going blind spots in vision after heavy set

Reaction score
Sometimes when I finish a heavy (for me) set and put the weights down I have spots in my vision that are almost like blind spots, and then as i catch my breath they start to go away. I noticed usually this doesn't happen but if I am more stressed or pushing harder than usual it does and it worries me. Is this dangerous and am I overtraining or breathing improperly and at risk for something dangerous happening ?

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
Sometimes when I finish a heavy (for me) set and put the weights down I have spots in my vision that are almost like blind spots, and then as i catch my breath they start to go away. I noticed usually this doesn't happen but if I am more stressed or pushing harder than usual it does and it worries me. Is this dangerous and am I overtraining or breathing improperly and at risk for something dangerous happening ?
Happens to me here and there. Always assumed I got a good lift in.

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, I come very close to passing out after lifting heavy (usually squats, deadlifts, and rack pulls... not much else does this).

I attribute it, and the corresponding tunnel vision, to a severe spike in blood pressure (during lift) and then a sharp drop in BP once the weight is put down.
Only way I've been able to mitigate this is to not brace so hard, and to slowly de-brace after the lift (versus dropping the weight and all tension).

It's helped, but it's still there - happened today.

Reaction score
The only time I had any visual anomalies when lifting is if I held my breath or didn't breathe properly. I get silent migraines outside of lifting, where the vision goes crazy, you see an aura but you either don't get the headache or just a dull pounding. I attribute that to concussions.

Last edited:

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
Happens sometimes to me mostly concentrating on the lift and technique, forget to breathe properly.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
happens when I don't breathe properly during a lift, usually when I'm grinding and shaking my ass off to get that last rep.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
happens when I don't breathe properly during a lift, usually when I'm grinding and shaking my ass off to get that last rep.
Sounds like you hard on the booty builder, the way you describe that last rep. 😁IMG_20240515_191504.jpg