Greatest gyms in the world

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
For most of us, going to the gym means going to a cookie cutter, "big box" type of environment. The newer the gym, the more lame it tends to be (at least in my experience).

I thought it would be a cool idea to have a thread sharing some of the greatest and coolest gyms out there. The ones you would love the chance to train in some day. Or if you're lucky, one you already do train in. Maybe to some people this stuff doesn't matter, but it's something I am passionate about.

I'll start with the most over the top, extravagant bodybuilding paradise in the world. Oasis Gym in Kuwait. Here's a tour filmed by the great Kevin Levrone:

Speaking of Kevin Levrone, he owns a gym about an hour away from where I live called Exile Fitness. I'll save that one for when I actually go in person and be sure to give my thoughts.

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
The gyms that still uses weights that smell of semi-rusted iron, and clang/bang when I load the bar. Hell even hearing those plates move round when I'm lifting is music to my ears.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember I went to metro flex in Dallas years ago. Pretty small place, and I understand that gyms don't have to be pretty, but when you're trying to be so "hard-core" that your equipment is so trashed you can't even get a good workout in, it defeats the purpose. I do alot of dumbell work, and almost all their heavy db's were bent. Which obviously throws off the balance of the dB and the movement of the exercise.

Reaction score
I remember I went to metro flex in Dallas years ago. I do alot of dumbell work, and almost all their heavy db's were bent.
I bet you could find at least three of the assholes that did that :ROFLMAO:
iu

iu

iu

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
The gyms that still uses weights that smell of semi-rusted iron, and clang/bang when I load the bar. Hell even hearing those plates move round when I'm lifting is music to my ears.

I couldn't agree more. Rubber gyms just don't have that sound that is so appealing and inviting. I have one gym left with the old school weights; I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I remember I went to metro flex in Dallas years ago. Pretty small place, and I understand that gyms don't have to be pretty, but when you're trying to be so "hard-core" that your equipment is so trashed you can't even get a good workout in, it defeats the purpose. I do alot of dumbell work, and almost all their heavy db's were bent. Which obviously throws off the balance of the dB and the movement of the exercise.
I always got that impression from it myself. It looks like a little too much of a dump.

Do you even feel safe working out with bent dumbbells that heavy?

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Rubber gyms just don't have that sound that is so appealing and inviting. I have one gym left with the old school weights; I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I always got that impression from it myself. It looks like a little too much of a dump.

Do you even feel safe working out with bent dumbbells that heavy?
Nope. Hard to get a good contraction when you are too busy trying to figure out how to balance them.

As for best gyms, I dont really have a favorite, I've never really traveled much. But there was a cool Golds gym in Glen Bernie MD that I went to when I was living there for a very short period of time. Kinetics in Collegeville PA, and Iron Clad over in Altamonte FL that I go to has awesome leg equilment.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Nope. Hard to get a good contraction when you are too busy trying to figure out how to balance them.

As for best gyms, I dont really have a favorite, I've never really traveled much. But there was a cool Golds gym in Glen Bernie MD that I went to when I was living there for a very short period of time. Kinetics in Collegeville PA, and Iron Clad over in Altamonte FL that I go to has awesome leg equilment.
How long ago were you in Glen Burnie? That Gold's is still there, I should check it out one day.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How long ago were you in Glen Burnie? That Gold's is still there, I should check it out one day.
Not long. Went up to start working at a job I got but the job fell through within a couple months. The gym might not have been that great, but considering I had no car, friends, or anything to do that 2 months stuck in a one bedroom apartment...it was amazing. Lol

Reaction score
Bev Francis Powerhouse Gym in Syosset NY (long island) is incredible. Its owned by Steve Weinberger, head IFBB judge. Serious place with an incredible vibe. Usually a few pros around; Ive seen Dorian, Ronnie, Jay and a ton of others over the years.

Reaction score
Some photos for good measure. I can't find many pictures of the weights, but they have separate floors for separate body parts. Pure genius and insanity.

About the separate floors for different body parts. That can sometimes work to one's disadvantage. For example, if you want to do supersets with back and chest but can't because equipment for these two body parts is located so far apart from one another.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Bev Francis Powerhouse Gym in Syosset NY (long island) is incredible. Its owned by Steve Weinberger, head IFBB judge. Serious place with an incredible vibe. Usually a few pros around; Ive seen Dorian, Ronnie, Jay and a ton of others over the years.
Sounds like they call it the East Coast Mecca for a reason. I know it's been a major player for a long time.

About the separate floors for different body parts. That can sometimes work to one's disadvantage. For example, if you want to do supersets with back and chest but can't because equipment for these two body parts is located so far apart from one another.
Great point. I hadn't even thought of that.

Reaction score
I've had the opportunity via the military to train in gyms all over the place both on and off base. It just seems that the off base ones were the cookie cutter subscription type with lunk laws and stuff like that. I think my all time favorite are the Marine Corps gyms in Japan. If you have base access they are free and you can bring one guest for free. They have a huge supplement selection and a smoothie/meal bar for pretty cheap. They are also extremeley clean. Locker rooms are huge with saunas and steam rooms. They also provide containerized gyms for units that are deploying.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Time for a much more modest entry: American Muscle Factory in Indianapolis, IN. This gym is interesting to me because it's brand new but in most ways looks like it's straight out of 1995. White equipment, iron plates and pro-style dumbbells. This is everything a gym should be. If I were to open a gym, I'd like to think it would be a lot like this one. I like this so much more than what Gold's is cooking up with their new gyms.

This gym is owned and operated by IFBB pro Nathan Epler.

Screenshot_20230331-202446-777.pngScreenshot_20230331-202551-776.pngScreenshot_20230331-203108-593.png

New Threads