Hi! Newbie here to introduce myself :)

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

32 y/o F. I started training in 2015 but had no idea wtf I was doing. Typical story. Cardio bunny. Under-eating. Same old stuff. I hovered around 115-120 for most of my 20's but was super soft and "skinny fat". I'd say my views on training and nutrition changed in 2018 when I decided that I wanted to feel strong. I decided to try my first bulk phase but definitely over-did it lol!!! Pair that with starting a full time big girl job for the first time and the weight packed on. I think I topped out around 136. I know that may not sound like a lot to most, but I didn't even know I was capable of putting on that much because of how twiggy I had been (surely from under eating and overtraining). I wasn't thrilled about the fat gain but I appreciated having a bit more shape. I also started to feel amazing in the gym and felt strong for the first time in my life. Go figure. Who knew eating properly would be magical.

I proceeded to educate myself on macros and other training approaches and began to see changes in my physique over the following years.

In 2019 I started focusing on compound lifts as opposed to the Instagram influencer cable workouts I had been following and was in love. Then came the pandemic. I tried my best. I was in the middle of my second bulk phase at the time and had no idea what to do. I had no idea that I would be gym-less for as long as I ended up being. After about a month of lock down my dumbass decided to cut.....I know......I stayed in a deficit for the majority of 2020 w/o weight training. I did what I could w/resistance bands but yea....was not happy w/my body composition.

Then finally the gyms opened up. I knew it would be a while for my lifts to get back to where they were, but it was not clicking. It was disheartening. My deadlift in particular was really struggling and I had no trust in myself. So I said fuck it and decided to find a proper strength coach. I surfed around online until I found a gym close to me that focused on strength training. I had no idea at the time how much it would change everything. The term "powerlifting" intimidated me as I'm sure I had some sort of subconscious bias against it assuming I'd get "bulky".

Fast forward to now. I've hovered around 125-130 the last year or so but my body composition is completely different and I feel strong AF. I even flew out of my comfort zone and did a powerlifting meet :)

I've only recently started tinkering w/the idea of AAS. Not interested in taking AAS to boost my lift numbers. In fact, I would probably stop competing in meets if/when I go for it. But I would love some help in the muscle-building department. I'm in no rush, but I'm not not down lol.

Anyway! Long ass post. If you made it this far, I think we're best friends now. I appreciate this forum! Thanks for having me!

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG.

What's your best total at a meet so far?

Reaction score
Thank you!

My total was 570! It was cute lol!! Truly a great and humbling experience. There were some tiny, strong ass bitches there. Loved seeing it. I've only competed once so far but will likely be competing again this summer.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Go for it (y) 💪and as far as AAS go, you have the rest of your life for it to help. If you are young, get all the mileage you can without AAS/TRT.

Reaction score
Welcome to the UG.

What's your best total at a meet so far

Go for it (y) 💪and as far as AAS go, you have the rest of your life for it to help. If you are young, get all the mileage you can without AAS/TRT.
That's the plan! My progress has been pretty linear so far and haven't really hit much of a plateau (yet). I have a naturally small frame so I'm not sure where my natural ceiling will be in terms of muscle building, but will definitely be taking my time.

In your opinion, at what point would you consider it "appropriate" to integrate AAS?

Also, sorry @eazy I'm not sure how to remove your original reply from the response lol! Apologies for the unnecessary notification.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
That's the plan! My progress has been pretty linear so far and haven't really hit much of a plateau (yet). I have a naturally small frame so I'm not sure where my natural ceiling will be in terms of muscle building, but will definitely be taking my time.

In your opinion, at what point would you consider it "appropriate" to integrate AAS?
For males, it would be mid-30s. I would need to defer to my female BB friends...the cool thing is that females don't really need to stack like males and you can take AAS/orals without supplementing it with testosterone. I will inquire but for females, just take it as long as you can without it. The less male hormones you have in your the better, but if you feel you lack as you age, I might suggest 1/2 an anavar tab or 1/2 cc per week of injectable. That is what she does.

Reaction score
For males, it would be mid-30s. I would need to defer to my female BB friends...the cool thing is that females don't really need to stack like males and you can take AAS/orals without supplementing it with testosterone. I will inquire but for females, just take it as long as you can without it. The less male hormones you have in your the better, but if you feel you lack as you age, I might suggest 1/2 an anavar tab or 1/2 cc per week of injectable. That is what she does.
Thanks for your input! I'll keep that in mind. I plan to hold off for at least another year or so, but it's nice to know supplementing w/test is not necessary. Def not trying to get that adventurous lol.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I'll keep that in mind. I plan to hold off for at least another year or so, but it's nice to know supplementing w/test is not necessary. Def not trying to get that adventurous lol.
Yeah, i prefer females not ruin their bodies with being build like a man and have a squarer jaw than I; but if you feel you need it, do it if it makes you happy.

Reaction score
All I can say is, looks like I have a best friend now.

I did it mom

Lol but actually what were your lifts individually in your meet and what does current training look like? Still using a coach?

How's nutrition look and if still training with a coach are they handling your nutrition as well or is that on you?

Reaction score
All I can say is, looks like I have a best friend now.

I did it mom

Lol but actually what were your lifts individually in your meet and what does current training look like? Still using a coach?

How's nutrition look and if still training with a coach are they handling your nutrition as well or is that on you?
Lol!! Hey, bestie.

Comp Numbers from October (bodyweight was 123.5)
Squat: 200 lbs
Bench: 100 lbs
Deadlift: 270 lbs

I got 6/9 lifts. I missed my last 210 squat attempt due to depth. Don't even talk to me about bench lmao! Def was not my max, but that pause was brutal. Deadlift was a PR that day :) Although I missed my 242 opener because I got too excited after the "down" command and dropped the barbell out of my hands instead of controlling it down lol! Coach was pissed. Tested the lifts again recently (squat: 220, bench: 112.5, conventional: 280, sumo: 290). Hoping to crack 300 by summer! Squat progress is slow but steady. And bench is....bench lol.

Still using the same coach! Current program is hypertrophy focused for the next few months before we start comp prep in May. Compounds are still the focus (squat/bench/dead/OHP) but weights/rep ranges are adjusted. We also have these awful ass AMRAP accessories lol. I swear he's trying to kill us.

Nutrition wise I'm on a short cut until March but will go into maintenance and bulk for the remainder of the year. Cut cals are usually 15/1600. Maintenance around 19/2000. Bulk 21/2200. Coach and I have dialogue often about my macro breakdown and he gives his input, but I pretty much handle my own meal plan. I do run it by him though :)

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a good grasp of it all. Think I missed if you mentioned how tall you are and what weight you competed at?

Any goals for the bulk?

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm 5'4 :) I competed at 123.5 lbs.

I want it all for this upcoming bulk lol! But really I've always had stick legs and only recently started seeing a bit of a quad sweep coming in, so fingers crossed that they become more pronounced this year. In terms of strength, I'd love to hit a double bodyweight squat. It's a tall order, but still gonna shoot for it. I hate how big of a difference there is between my squat and deadlift lol.

Reaction score
You'll get there, it's a sprint not a marathon, wait, scratch that and reverse it

Should look at starting a log here maybe to track and allow people to follow along with how it goes

Reaction score
You'll get there, it's a sprint not a marathon, wait, scratch that and reverse it

Should look at starting a log here maybe to track and allow people to follow along with how it goes
Ooh! I just scrolled through some logs and love that idea. Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll definitely share once it's bulk season.

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Guess we're best buds I read it all. Solid intro. Inspirational. Grand entrance.
Hi.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome. That was a solid introduction. Thanks for that. Glad you found the weights.