How long should you rest between sets? Explained with documented results.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
For big compounds when I lift in the 8-12 rep range, I take a minimum of 2 minutes rest. In addition to that I use my heart rate as a general gauge if I should give myself another 30 seconds. Then I also take into account if I'm mentally ready to push it again.

The mental thing is very subjective, but I've found that if my mind isn't ready to attack the weight... that if I give myself another 15 seconds to put myself where I need to be mentally, that I have a much more effective working set than if I was mentally unprepared.

For smaller muscle groups, usually about 60-90 seconds is enough for me regardless of heart rate or mental state.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Heavier sets I rest longer, 2 to 3 minutes between sets.

Lighter sets I rest just long enough to catch my breath.

Chump16

Reaction score
There is a timer built into the app I use for tracking workouts (Strong app)

I find using the timer keeps kind of adds a tempo to the workout

agree with alot of the rest periods posted here

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
There is a timer built into the app I use for tracking workouts (Strong app)

I find using the timer keeps kind of adds a tempo to the workout

agree with alot of the rest periods posted here
I use the same app. The audible auto timer is the feature I like the most

supreme666leader

Reaction score
few mins for minor stuff like machines ... i superset everything
heavy major lifts, ill take a while maybe 5 mins maybe more til i feel like it or im ready, even if i feel ready sooner ill wait a few more mins to make sure i dont injure anything.

go very heavy on dls so wait 7-10mins for that.

Reaction score
I use the timer on the Heavyset app I log my workouts in. I like it because it keeps my rest periods pretty consistent, making progress tracking more accurate (I think). 3 minutes as a default, with 2:30 for arms, calves, abs.
When I forget my phone I note that I tend to shorten my rest periods (not as disciplined about noting time set finished etc).

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Yall train fast. For compound exercises, I rest approximately 90secs while cutting, 3-5 mins for bodybuilding intentions, and 5-8mins if training for strength.

I always hated when I'd be training for strength and lift with someone for the day who wanted me to push my normal weights but stick to their quick ass rest times between sets. Instead of progressive overload, it always ended up in a progressive deload.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Yall train fast. For compound exercises, I rest approximately 90secs while cutting, 3-5 mins for bodybuilding intentions, and 5-8mins if training for strength.

I always hated when I'd be training for strength and lift with someone for the day who wanted me to push my normal weights but stick to their quick ass rest times between sets. Instead of progressive overload, it always ended up in a progressive deload.
For me, I can't train heavy on anything but legs right now. So I opt for volume and time under tension to get some intensity in. Getting old sucks, healing is slow.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
For me, I can't train heavy on anything but legs right now. So I opt for volume and time under tension to get some intensity in. Getting old sucks, healing is slow.
My hGH delivery is slow.. been peekin out the window anytime I hear someone drive by 🤣

Reaction score
For strength i just sit and relaxuntil I feel ready* hyperthripy between 45 seconds and a minute ish

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Yup, the rest thing. These studies ** groan**.
As always, depends on goals. But lifting is not cardio, thats what cardio is for.
Those who lift lighter, higher reps, volume, etc, your rest will be shorter. You ight get in better condition.
Powerlifting, you wait until you're recovered 'til next set. (example - 5 mins, etc).

Thats why I like to mix my lifting (some call it 'Powerbuilding").

Powerlifting (B, SQ, DL, OHP) for 5 x 5, or 5x3 type of sets.
Followed by typical accessory stuff with higher reps. (8-12 works for me).

THEN I go do cardio...

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
It's obviously all dependent on the individual what reps, sets, volume, rest, frequency, intensity, etc works best. That's why there's no real definitive answer. Same with most aspects of weight training and muscle building.
Most easy gainers/genetic freaks like those who are able to build competitive bodybuilding physiques can probably do just about any scheme they like and get great results.
The rest of us have to figure it out for ourselves, but what works for some may not work for others.

If you've been lifting a while it shouldn't be all that difficult to figure out if you're ready for your next set or not. You should already know how long your workout is going to be and how many sets/reps/body parts you'll be doing so it's a matter of pacing yourself so that you can finish, work everything sufficiently and get everything in that you intended to work.
If it's not working you experiment and eventually you'll probably figure out what works best.
And there's so many other factors like sleep, diet, how stressful your life is, supplementation, hormones.
When I started lifting back in the mid-70's there was obviously no internet, not nearly the number of quality supplements and very little to go on information-wise besides some books and monthly bodybuilding magazines. So a lot of guys ended up doing bodybuilding routines that were too advanced and used too many assistance exercises and ended up not making good progress. It probably took me ten years to start figuring out shit on my own.
Bottom line is it's not simple for the majority of us and we've got to figure it out on our own.

New Threads