How much protein is actually beneficial?

Reaction score
Is it 1g per bodyweight or per lb of lean mass? And is it even 1g? Is there a difference for natural lifters v enhanced lifters? Going by bodyfat percentage I am getting about 1g per lb of lean body mass. And thats a chore smashing that much chicken breast. Ive heard some lifters get 2g per lb. Sounds like a massive chore. Especially if your not eating 5000kcal but are on like 2000kcal.

Last edited:

Yano

Reaction score
I thought I was starting a new thread but I just nuked my own. I have no idea how to undo it haha. Sorry.
No worries, as for protein on average 1.5gr per kilo of body weight for some its a bit less for others a bit more. That would be a good place to start. I prefer 2gr per kilo personally but every one is different.

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
Is it 1g per bodyweight or per lb of lean mass? And is it even 1g? Is there a difference for natural lifters v enhanced lifters? Going by bodyfat percentage I am getting about 1g per lb of lean body mass. And thats a chore smashing that much chicken breast. Ive heard some lifters get 2g per lb. Sounds like a massive chore. Especially if your not eating 5000kcal but are on like 2000kcal.
IMO 1g/lb is the bare minimum for being a lifter/athlete

Reaction score
How much does genetics have to do with it? There was this kid I knew as a teenager who lived off chocolate bars and crisps and he was absolutely shredded and always carried more muscle than everyone else. And I've known people who were smashing chicken and rice and protein shakes and they just never even looked like they lifted. Are some people just doomed to look like slobs?

Yano

Reaction score
Well in short , yes. Genetics plays a huge part of it but hard work beats it all. For some of us , including myself body recomposition is a huge mountain to climb but it's not impossible just takes work. Patience aint just a girls name.

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
How much does genetics have to do with it? There was this kid I knew as a teenager who lived off chocolate bars and crisps and he was absolutely shredded and always carried more muscle than everyone else. And I've known people who were smashing chicken and rice and protein shakes and they just never even looked like they lifted. Are some people just doomed to look like slobs?
When I was in high school I thought Vin Diesel was JACKED in fast and the furious. Nowadays he wouldn't even register on my radar if I saw him in the gym.

Your perception often changes through life. Your perception of him now may be different than it was when you were a teen.

@Yano said it pretty well.

Reaction score
When I was in high school I thought Vin Diesel was JACKED in fast and the furious. Nowadays he wouldn't even register on my radar if I saw him in the gym.

Your perception often changes through life. Your perception of him now may be different than it was when you were a teen.

Yeah it kinda sucks. It never seems like u make any progress because your frame of reference follows you.

Reaction score

Actually funny you say that I saw the first one recently and thought he still looked huge. Then again I'm not a bodybuilder so I have low standards.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
Is it 1g per bodyweight or per lb of lean mass?
depends on the subject's body composition. when I was 60% bf I used lean mass. didn't need 350 grams of protein per day.
And is it even 1g?
typical recommendation 1-1.5g
Is there a difference for natural lifters v enhanced lifters?
yes

Steroid users actually need more protein than natural lifters. Enhanced lifters have an elevated rate of protein synthesis around the clock. In addition to blunting the effect of cortisol, steroids increase how much protein you can use to build muscle.

An enhanced body is more efficient at using amino acids to build new muscle tissue. And since protein synthesis rate is elevated 24/7 they'll benefit from a higher protein intake as well as more frequent feedings. An enhanced lifter will, in fact, benefit from a constant influx of protein in their bloodstream.

A natural lifter won't. While it's undisputable that increasing protein intake to a certain point will help build muscle, a natural body has a limited capacity to use it to build tissue. Studies show that increasing protein intake up to 1 gram per pound when in a caloric surplus, and to 1.2 to 1.4 grams per pound when in a deficit, has benefits. But increasing it above that will provide no added benefit.

Yano

Reaction score
An to give you an idea on your question about genetics and things , give this a look. This kid is an extreme case mind you , but it gives you an idea into how some one can eat massive amounts of food and junk and not put on any weight.

Trendkill

Reaction score
When it comes to all this stuff it's 90% genetics. Yes diet plays a critical role as does training, sleep, recovery, AAS, etc. At the end of the day though the freaks are the freaks and always will be.

From my own personal experience I try to get 200g protein a day. I don't base it on anything other than how I feel and recover. Sometimes I get less, sometimes more but that's the only macro I track. No, this is not the way most do it but its what works for me. I think too many people get caught up in the little stuff and lose sight of the big picture. Are you trying to get big? Then eat, eat, eat. If you eat enough you'll get plenty of protein.

Reaction score
When it comes to all this stuff it's 90% genetics. Yes diet plays a critical role as does training, sleep, recovery, AAS, etc. At the end of the day though the freaks are the freaks and always will be.

From my own personal experience I try to get 200g protein a day. I don't base it on anything other than how I feel and recover. Sometimes I get less, sometimes more but that's the only macro I track. No, this is not the way most do it but its what works for me. I think too many people get caught up in the little stuff and lose sight of the big picture. Are you trying to get big? Then eat, eat, eat. If you eat enough you'll get plenty of protein.

I know a pro football player and as a kid he was just naturally so much better at football. He didn’t train differently or do anything differently he was just always a freak. The crazy thing is he’s not even in the top tier yet he’d score like 10 goals a game in the amateur kids leagues until he got signed on a youth contract for a club.

I can’t even imagine what genetic gifts some people are born with.

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
Actually funny you say that I saw the first one recently and thought he still looked huge. Then again I'm not a bodybuilder so I have low standards.
I’m not a bodybuilder either, but I’m about 60-70 lbs heavier than I was in high school and I’m leaner. I was a scrawny kid

Reaction score
another important thing a part from how much total protein a day you get (very important), is how many protein you take every meal. You need to remember protein absorption in the body is around 10gr/hr
and after 3 hours more or less your meal is in a part of your body where it doesn't grab the nutrient anymore. So you need to divide those total protein between your meals or you are gonna waste a good chunk of it.