How to open a Bitcoin account

Reaction score
So I have been looking at the bitcoin website try to figure out how to open an account. I do not find a link anywhere to get started on opening an account.

How did you open your bitcoin account? I'm using 10 windows desktop.
The easiest thing for you to do if your new to Crypto is just open a coinbase account. It's aimed more towards newcomers and makes the whole thing rather easy.

There also a public traded company and regulated so your not going to have to worry about alot of the crap that happens on some of the other exchanges. I've been buying,selling, and trading crypto since bitcoin started and coinbase has always been a good exchange.

Link a debit card or bank account to your account and youll be good to go.

Reaction score
I disagree, we have a bunch of dinosaurs in Congress who dont even know how to use Facebook, u expect them to put forth rules on Crypto not knowing anything about it????? Shit Ted Cruz cant even spell Crypto, yet you want him to put together regulation on this asset class????
100% agree, having government trying to regulate crypto is going to be a disaster. Only reason their intrested now is because someday crypto will eventually overtake the dollar.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Only reason their intrested now is because someday crypto will eventually overtake the dollar.
Which is the exact reason I think it's such a gamble.

And for the most part, the government is bought and paid for, they don't make their own decisions. Big banks have deep pockets, and they stand to lose a lot of crypto is widely adopted.

Tread lightly.

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
Not really anything like a BTC account. You need a bitcoin wallet to send and receive bitcoins. These are free and a lot of different sites provide that service. I have literally hundreds of wallets from various transactions I wanted to keep separated.

If you want to convert between USD and BTC, you will need an account with an exchange service like Coin Base. There are also a variety of ways to buy them online with a CC or even in some ATMs in convenience stores. None of these are entirely anonymous.
I'm seeing less value the more I look into bitcoin. An advertiser asked if I had a bitcoin account. At this point I see no reason to get one.
The easiest thing for you to do if your new to Crypto is just open a coinbase account. It's aimed more towards newcomers and makes the whole thing rather easy.

There also a public traded company and regulated so your not going to have to worry about alot of the crap that happens on some of the other exchanges. I've been buying,selling, and trading crypto since bitcoin started and coinbase has always been a good exchange.

Link a debit card or bank account to your account and youll be good to go.
I'm simply looking to use bitcoin to take payments not trade or invest in it.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing less value the more I look into bitcoin. An advertiser asked if I had a bitcoin account. At this point I see no reason to get one.

I'm simply looking to use bitcoin to take payments not trade or invest in it.
Then all you need is a cold storage wallet which is pretty simple to get, I use https://electrum.org/#home

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
Then all you need is a cold storage wallet which is pretty simple to get, I use https://electrum.org/#home
Is this an app? I don't want an app either. Just looking for something I can use on my PC that is a website with a login/pass and take payments for advertising. I'm about to just quit and say paypal or go somewhere else.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is this an app? I don't want an app either. Just looking for something I can use on my PC that is a website with a login/pass and take payments for advertising. I'm about to just quit and say paypal or go somewhere else.
It sits on your desktop or on a smart phone. I have mine on an old smart phone that I no longer use. I only turn the phone on to send btc to someone or to see whats in my wallet. This is as cold storage as one can get.

Reaction score
I disagree, we have a bunch of dinosaurs in Congress who dont even know how to use Facebook, u expect them to put forth rules on Crypto not knowing anything about it????? Shit Ted Cruz cant even spell Crypto, yet you want him to put together regulation on this asset class????
Well, Tether could very well be a ponzi scheme, so something needs to be done about that before they destroy the market and reputation of crypto and exchanges in general. It's a huge house of straws. If it's not and all is well - then great.

As far as regulating crypto goes, no I don't think they know what they're doing. I agree. Mistakes will be made. The big banks who want to get involved (the ones with money and lobbying influence) will hopefully keep them from doing anything that destroys the market. I mean China outright banned crypto and mining, and it barely put a dent in the market.

Big banks and institutional investors have been saying forever that they need more regulatory framework to move forward investing and trading in crypto. We need ETF's so people can safely hold it in their retirement accounts.

I am long time, die-hard holder. I believe crypto will eventually be fully integrated into our financial systems and central banks will hold bitcoin just like they do gold.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, Tether could very well be a ponzi scheme, so something needs to be done about that before they destroy the market and reputation of crypto and exchanges in general. It's a huge house of straws. If it's not and all is well - then great.

As far as regulating crypto goes, no I don't think they know what they're doing. I agree. Mistakes will be made. The big banks who want to get involved (the ones with money and lobbying influence) will hopefully keep them from doing anything that destroys the market. I mean China outright banned crypto and mining, and it barely put a dent in the market.

Big banks and institutional investors have been saying forever that they need more regulatory framework to move forward investing and trading in crypto. We need ETF's so people can safely hold it in their retirement accounts.

I am long time, die-hard holder. I believe crypto will eventually be fully integrated into our financial systems and central banks will hold bitcoin just like they do gold.
Some things are best left alone, crypto is one of them....Regulation wont make BTC any safer or add/subtract value.

dirtys1x

Reaction score
If you're looking for a basic account to send and receive bitcoin - then you should just go with coinbase. Although, you will need to verify your identity. If you don't want to verify your identity, I can help you with this.

I'm actually pretty damn involved in crypto and hold most of my assets in it so if you have any questions about the best ways to start using BTC, then you can message me. There are many different exchanges and a lot of different ways around identity verification if you aren't too keen on that.

Reaction score
Which is the exact reason I think it's such a gamble.

And for the most part, the government is bought and paid for, they don't make their own decisions. Big banks have deep pockets, and they stand to lose a lot of crypto is widely adopted.

Tread lightly.
I certainly don't disagree with you when it comes to being a gamble, but so is investing in a 401K, pensions etc. I was screwed royally in 2008 when the crash happened and watched 90% of my 401k vanish never to fully return.

In the end it's becoming damn near impossible to figure out what is the right thing to invest into anymore. I recovered since 08 but never forgot what happens when big government and investment companies handle my finances.
Now days I choose to take the risk on my own and if I fall, so be it but at least I'll only have myself to blame. I'm not saying crypto is the answer, but the idea behind it is more sound then the $ in my humble opinion.

Adzg

Reaction score
What’s a 401k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What’s a 401k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tax code for a tax advantaged workplace retirement account in the US.

You can put a portion of your income into this account, and it has tax benefits. Basically deferred income.

The Phoenix

Reaction score
I certainly don't disagree with you when it comes to being a gamble, but so is investing in a 401K, pensions etc. I was screwed royally in 2008 when the crash happened and watched 90% of my 401k vanish never to fully return.

In the end it's becoming damn near impossible to figure out what is the right thing to invest into anymore. I recovered since 08 but never forgot what happens when big government and investment companies handle my finances.
Now days I choose to take the risk on my own and if I fall, so be it but at least I'll only have myself to blame. I'm not saying crypto is the answer, but the idea behind it is more sound then the $ in my humble opinion.

Yeah I recall that 401k fell. I typically catch trends and at the time was refinancing my home in 2007 and was noticing the shakiness of the lenders. Meanwhile, my employer sold out to a publiclly traded company that year so I asked how much could I reallocate to gold and silver and they said since the company was going public I could 70% of what I had (10k). Then came 2008 and the crash of the housing bubble and by 2009, that $7k hedged itself into $25k in 2010. Phoenix, like Vegas didn’t have a “V” recovery but a wide “U”. That’s said I needed work so moved to TX which brings us to today.

But what do I know. People that know what I believe and I tell them what is coming into this world and I therefore am making the economic, social, and professional decisions with my judge of character and person. Everything and anything that is said is just words. I move off action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Yeah I recall that 401k fell. I typically catch trends and at the time was refinancing my home in 2007 and was noticing the shakiness of the lenders. Meanwhile, my employer sold out to a publiclly traded company that year so I asked how much could I reallocate to gold and silver and they said since the company was going public I could 70% of what I had (10k). Then came 2008 and the crash of the housing bubble and by 2009, that $7k hedged itself into $25k in 2010. Phoenix, like Vegas didn’t have a “V” recovery but a wide “U”. That’s said I needed work so moved to TX which brings us to today.

But what do I know. People that know what I believe and I tell them what is coming into this world and I therefore am making the economic, social, and professional decisions with my judge of character and person. Everything and anything that is said is just words. I move off action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In all honesty I think were all being setup for the great collapse. Current administration is making so many crazy moves that it defies all logic. I voted for Trump both times not because I thought he was some genius, but the moves he did make did actually work and worked incredibly well with our markets.

I have most of what I recovered from the 401K fallout invested in gold and silver, currently I have around $100,000 invested in different crypto that have done even better then gold. Each month I take the profits from crypto and dump them in gold. At the rate this current administration is screwing up I often wonder how long our current economy can actually survive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying taxes, I realize as a society it's needed, but when does that stop? By the time this crap is over were all going to be screwed in on form or another.

And now they want to monitor accounts over $600 lol, you know in case any of us are secretly Warren Buffet moving Billions through $600 transactions

The Phoenix

Reaction score
In all honesty I think were all being setup for the great collapse. Current administration is making so many crazy moves that it defies all logic. I voted for Trump both times not because I thought he was some genius, but the moves he did make did actually work and worked incredibly well with our markets.

I have most of what I recovered from the 401K fallout invested in gold and silver, currently I have around $100,000 invested in different crypto that have done even better then gold. Each month I take the profits from crypto and dump them in gold. At the rate this current administration is screwing up I often wonder how long our current economy can actually survive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying taxes, I realize as a society it's needed, but when does that stop? By the time this crap is over were all going to be screwed in on form or another.

And now they want to monitor accounts over $600 lol, you know in case any of us are secretly Warren Buffet moving Billions through $600 transactions
i'm not trying to get rich, just hedging by diversifying my effort and investments in alignment with what i contribute to in terms of service. There's something bigger than us and when we tune ourselves into listening to that still small voice within ourselves, we can see how insignificant we are in the greater scheme, but in the little we do and share with each other builds, discerns, and trains the trust we seek in each other. all the best to you in your efforts and investments brother.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

If u believe political leaders have influence on crypto pricing, u probably need to change your screen name.

Banks are not gonna monitor transactions over $600 nor does the IRS have the capabilities to do so. This is all misinformation.....

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Amazing how quickly a simple thread turns into a political one.....Subject of the thread is how to open an account, not what Biden is doing or not doing.....

Swiper.

Elite
Reaction score
Banks are not gonna monitor transactions over $600 nor does the IRS have the capabilities to do so. This is all misinformation.....

Janet Yellen disagrees with you. this is all assuming this is in the final bill and gets passed and signed by the president.

they also plan to hire 87,000 more IRS agents

“Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen is defending a Biden administration proposal that would require banks to report data to the Internal Revenue Service on transactions over $600, calling the collection of information “routine,” after taking heat for the idea that is widely seen as an unprecedented invasion of privacy.

During an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Tuesday, Yellen was pressed on whether the IRS has the “wherewithal” to collect more information about taxpayers and bank accounts including cash flows, something many Republicans have called invasive.

“Well, of course they do,” Yellen said. “Right now, on every bank account that earns more than $10 a year in interest, the banks report the interest earned to the IRS. That’s part of the information base that includes W2’s and reports on dividends in other income that taxpayers earned. So collection of information is routine.”

if this is misinformation what is the correct information?

Last edited: