If you could go back to your first meet, what would you have done differently?

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
What's up, everybody?!

I am going to be doing my first meet in November of this year. It's a meet geared towards beginners. The main goal for this meet for me is to learn, have fun, and max out! My 1,000 lb total might be in reach if I keep keep adding the maximum amount every week!

That being said, what are some tips you would have given your self or a new lifter for the time leading up to a meet or for their first meet day?

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1. PRACTICE YOUR COMMANDS. Different federations have different standards and corresponding commands. You should know them by heart on meet day.

2. Don't bother cutting weight for your first meet.

3. If you can afford it, consider hiring a coach for meet prep.

4. Enjoy. Seriously, powerlifting meets can be a hell of a lot of fun.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Fuuk if I can even remember my first meet. lol

I think TODAY hit on most things but I'd not do the coach thing. Just get with some guys who have been there.

I never really enjoyed a meet; I'm a bit too competitive and I stress myself out way too much.

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
1. PRACTICE YOUR COMMANDS. Different federations have different standards and corresponding commands. You should know them by heart on meet day.

2. Don't bother cutting weight for your first meet.

3. If you can afford it, consider hiring a coach for meet prep.

4. Enjoy. Seriously, powerlifting meets can be a hell of a lot of fun.
Noted! Thanks for the reminder on the commands! I got to look them up for the APF.

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
Fuuk if I can even remember my first meet. lol

I think TODAY hit on most things but I'd not do the coach thing. Just get with some guys who have been there.

I never really enjoyed a meet; I'm a bit too competitive and I stress myself out way too much.
Thanks, Snake!

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Never competed but have actually handle and coach a lot of the last few years. I’ll just add a few I have seen….

Train the squat below parallel
Train the bench with an exaggerated pause and hold the unrack before your decent
Don’t weight cut unless you are going for records
Compete without wraps before you compete with them
Opening squat need to be as light as possible.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
You are getting great advice here Slab. Only thing I will add is don't forget to eat. I was so nervous before my first meet that I barely ate breakfast and only had a few carb drinks throughout the day. I totally crashed after my last deadlift. I got nauseous, chills, etc. I know it also affected my performance on that day.

Don't go in with any crazy goals other then establishing a total. That is what you will build off of for the next meet. Once you get the hang of it, learn how to peak, etc. then you can start setting PR goals for individual lifts and total.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I love this man good for you !!

These guys have made me an entirely new lifter and will do the same for any one that just takes the time to listen. You're in good hands man just enjoy the process and smash it !!

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
You are getting great advice here Slab. Only thing I will add is don't forget to eat. I was so nervous before my first meet that I barely ate breakfast and only had a few carb drinks throughout the day. I totally crashed after my last deadlift. I got nauseous, chills, etc. I know it also affected my performance on that day.

Don't go in with any crazy goals other then establishing a total. That is what you will build off of for the next meet. Once you get the hang of it, learn how to peak, etc. then you can start setting PR goals for individual lifts and total.
Oh yeah! I'm taking notes here! I'm gonna stay conservative with the goals. The greyskull program has a Six week peaking schedule that is really just adding heavier singles using meet commands and tapering off the amraps to lower fatigue. I probably won't really set goals till I start handling those singles. I'm thinking my last successful singles could be my openers and add a few pounds each attempt. Just something like that. Still a ways out!

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
I love this man good for you !!

These guys have made me an entirely new lifter and will do the same for any one that just takes the time to listen. You're in good hands man just enjoy the process and smash it !!
Will do, Yano!

Slabiathan

The Lorax
Reaction score
1. Not got injured 4 weeks out (torn hamstring)
2. Not jump up when fail a lift repeat it, especially if you lifted it and got called on a technicality.
3. TNE meet day
Thanks, Bt! I'm sorry, what does TNE mean?

New Threads