Intermittent Fasting - all downside for muscle protein synthesis

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
D
G, notice how they are talking about autophagy in regards to fasting and calorie restriction but then ONLY list fasting protocols?

What Are the Different Forms of Calorie Restriction and Fasting?​

Calorie restriction is a consistent pattern of reducing average daily caloric intake, while fasting regimens primarily focus on the frequency of eating. The fasting diet may or may not involve a restriction in the intake of calories during non-fasting times.

There are a variety of fasting diets, sometimes called "intermittent fasting." You may have read about:

• Time-restricted feeding—Meals are consumed within a limited number of hours (such as 6-8 hours) each day, with nothing consumed during the other hours.
  • Alternate-day fasting—Eating is unrestricted every other day, and no or minimal calories can be consumed on the days in between.
  • 5:2 eating pattern—Eating is unrestricted for 5 straight days each week, followed by 2 days of restricted caloric intake.
  • Periodic fasting—Caloric intake is restricted for multiple consecutive days, such as 5 days in a row once a month, and unrestricted on all other days.

None of those bullet points have anything to do with CR...
They talking about the differences in cr and fasting. Did you even read that entire article?
They explained what a cr is and then went on to break down different forms of fasting

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
D

did you read anything I posted?
This guy breaks it down pretty good but who the fuck knows IMO there’s still so much research to be done
Obviously Ri was touched in the butthole by a Dr saying "autophagy doesn't start until 24 hours" when he was a young boy (like 6 months ago) and he has been triggered ever since...

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
This guy breaks it down pretty good but who the fuck knows IMO there’s still so much research to be done
G, There are three defined types of autophagy. macro-autophagy, micro-autophagy, and chaperone-mediated autophagy. This guy and most DRs are talking about chaperone-mediated autophagy when the topic of longevity comes up. This is the state you get into when fasted for 24ish hours and it is when your cells are doing the most amount of repairing. I.E. the major/significant stuff that most people are talking about in terms of living longer, curing diseases, etc.

What numbnuts, I mean Ri, is going on and on about is getting into the first 2 stages of "autophagy" with restricting calories. The problem is is it's not sustainable if you want to be a big strong guy and it doesn't repair as much as traditional chaperone-mediated autophagy.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Obviously Ri was touched in the butthole by a Dr saying "autophagy doesn't start until 24 hours" when he was a young boy (like 6 months ago) and he has been triggered ever since...
Naw the only thing that “triggers” me is bullshit. Autophagy is induced with a caloric deficit. You only posted articles featuring some charlatans one being Jason Fong if you know his history.
Perhaps one day there will be more extensive studies in humans that do show a benefit of one over the other but as of now there just isn’t.
I’m sure autophagy is probably induced faster if you’re fasted but it is absolutely induced in a caloric restriction. Sorry but you suck at comprehension of what you read.
Did you look at anything I posted?
One of the articles you posted even mentioned exercise induced autophagy but you ignored that.
Show me the human studies comparing the CR vs Fasting.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
G, There are three defined types of autophagy. macro-autophagy, micro-autophagy, and chaperone-mediated autophagy. This guy and most DRs are talking about chaperone-mediated autophagy when the topic of longevity comes up. This is the state you get into when fasted for 24ish hours and it is when your cells are doing the most amount of repairing. I.E. the major/significant stuff that most people are talking about in terms of living longer, curing diseases, etc.

What numbnuts, I mean Ri, is going on and on about is getting into the first 2 stages of "autophagy" with restricting calories. The problem is is it's not sustainable if you want to be a big strong guy and it doesn't repair as much as traditional chaperone-mediated autophagy.
Also numb nuts doesn’t matter what stage of autophagy for some strange fucking reason when comparing fasting, IF, and CR there’s no proven benefits.
Now wouldn’t those in the fasted group have achieved the magical third stage of autophagy? If so why has there been no proven benefits when compared to CR? Just a fucking thought huh

Reaction score
I thought this study was interesting (abstract linked below):
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abd8034
Small sample (36), but lean and healthy (so closer to BBers), activity monitored 4 weeks prior to 4 week study.

Showed that intermittent fasting without net calorie restriction (ie fast and feast) could maintain weight with no statistical difference in measured health benefits (not autophagy, but cardiometabolic health and gut hormones, along with the expression of key genes in subcutaneous adipose tissue) vs IF with net restriction, and straight calorie restriction.

Suggests (to me) that bodybuilders seeking to boost longevity benefits might use intermittent fasting during a maintenance phase - as well as banking any benefits from their cutting phase ... to offset any penalties from their bulking phases better.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I'm sorry @RiR0 , but this was kind of funny.

Don't worry, my butthole was touched by Dylan Gimelli, and I've also been triggered ever since..... I kid, I kid. 😂

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
So much back and forth shit emojis. I'm going to have to toss around a bunch of likes to neutralize the poo 😂

New Threads