Itis in the forearms

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Darn, it's coming on quickly. About 10 days ago after some presses and rows, my hand felt weird. Cramped and fatigued, I struggled to write after sets. Shook it off, didn't think much. But it is getting worse. Now, I'm feeling it in both hands, from the elbows, down the forearm (carpi ulnar flexor and extendor), down to the last two fingers. It's moderately painful, but interferes with grasping more. Damn!
Resting (sort of, we all know we are bad at that part), icing and massaging. Daily Naprosyn, plus topical diclofenac.
Currently cruising, will add some deca in another 8-12 weeks, hoping that helps (low dosing did wonders for my shoulder).
Not seeking advise, just venting. I've been making steady progress, nearly the best I've looked and strength is coming well. I hate to back off now, but the long game trumps short term needs.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
I got some lifting straps and wrist wraps. Never used them before, hope those help.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I'm almost fully recovered after dealing with this for the last 4-5 weeks. Wrist wraps help a bit, but does nothing for the forearm pain/stress I have towards the elbow side of the forearm.

@FlyingPapaya recommended elbow sleeves to me, which also help to relieve stress on the forearm. I won't have the sleeves until next week, but I'll let you know how they feel.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Here's the one I was specifically recommended

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
At the top of your game and ....WHAM! This always seems to be the case brother.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Thanks Snake. You sir, are an inspiration, and help to remind me of longevity in this game (I'm 43 and just getting started!).

Send0, thank you. They come in my color.

sfw509

Reaction score
Here's the one I was specifically recommended

I have this one. Bought it when i started having similar issues. It did help. But a good PT got to the bottom of what the real issue was

Best of luck getting through this.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been dealing with tennis elbow lately and the use of compression sleeves for pretty much everything but leg days has helped a lot. Still uncomfortable at times but manageable.

Reaction score
^^
I am baby new and can’t repost links.
FeartheGear this is amazing. I’ve been eye balling a PVC pipe at our gym and I know now why it’s there. I tried it today and it definitely helped my own forearm woes. Great suggestion!

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Update:
Elbows are feeling better, but still pain in the forearms. I've done some research, and am pretty certain this is "arm pump" which common amongst motocross racers. Otherwise known as exertion based compartment syndrome. Blood goes in faster than it goes out, causing a buildup of pressure and waste products. The pressure presses on nerves, hurting, and effecting function.
Symptoms match exactly, and I have had a prior diagnosis of the same on my shins. This is in part, what put me out of the Army, I couldn't run distance due to it.
Don't know yet how I want to handle it. Wrist straps help. I've adjusted back training to primarily machine work, which seems to help. Don't really want surgery, we'll see down the road.

Steeeve

Reaction score
I get some pain that accumulates at the elbows when I combine too much close grip volume with heavy pulls and rows. Soft tissue work of the surrounding muscles and tendons (especially my bicep and forearms. Literally would roll barbells over them in place over body tempering rollers.) realllllly helped dissipate some of that discomfort for me while I adjusted training intensity and volume to allow the overloaded tissues to kinda heal up. Let me find and link Big Ds video on that one moment