JPs upper/lower split

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on when to bump up weight as I follow JPs u/l split (great youtube series btw). I'll give incline press as an example:

Set 1: target rep range 5 to 8
Set 2: target rep range 10 to 15

Week 1
Set 1: 8 reps at 205
Set 2: 12 reps at 155

Week 2
Set 1: 8 reps at 210 (I hit the upper rep range last week, so bump the weight up 5 lbs)
Set 2: 13 reps at 155 (no change in weight since I missed the upper rep range the week before, but I squeezed one more out this week)

Week 3
Set 1: 8 reps at 215 (increase weight again similar to last week)
Set 2: 14 reps at 155 (no change in weight vs prior week, but got an extra rep again)

So, now we're into week 4. Since I'm still hitting my upper rep range for set 1, I'll keep going up 5lbs till I miss it. My question is what would you do for set 2 in week 4? I went up a rep for 3 weeks straight but just couldn't get that 15th rep. Would you go for 15 again or bump the weight up 5 lbs to 160 and see where you fall in the rep range at that weight?

To sum it up, do you keep going up in weight till you fail to hit the lower rep range you established? Or do you only go up in weight after you hit the upper rep range? Or do you go up in weight after being somewhere in the middle of the rep range for a few weeks, but never hitting the upper limit?

Hope I made my question clear, but shoot back any questions or thoughts. Thanks fellas!

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I’m no expert but on week one for example why is your first set at 205 then you take 50 pounds off? I don’t get it…why not add weight each set ? No expert but I don’t think you’re gonna get much growth lifting like this but like I said im just a guy saying things

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I personally keep the same weight until I hit the top of the rep range. It gives me extra time with that weight, and makes it feel like I've "earned" the weight increase.

I've also done it the other way, in a wave progression, and when my weekly weight jumps fall out of range, I back the weight down the following week to what I did 3 weeks prior, and hope to push part the stocking point in 4 weeks time. Looks like a wave pattern....

Wk 1: 100x14
Wk 2: 110x12
Wk 3: 120x10
Wk 4: 130x9 (fell out of 10-15 range)
Reset

Wk 5: 100x16
Wk 6: 110x14
Wk 7: 120x12
Wk 8: 130x10 (beat old sticking point)
Wk 9: 140x9 (fell out of range)
Reset

Wk 10: 110x16
Wk 11: 120x14
Wk 12: 130x12
Wk 13: 140x11 (beat old sticking point)
Wk 14: 150 x 9

With the wave method, you hopefully increase the 4th week every time, so it would be a 5-10 lb increase every month.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks CJ. That was kind of my thinking, as in I would have to earn it at that rep range before moving up in weight.

Your description of the wave method is also interesting, but does it apply to only two working sets per exercise? Your example has 5 sets per exercise and I don't lift with that much volume.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thanks CJ. That was kind of my thinking, as in I would have to earn it at that rep range before moving up in weight.

Your description of the wave method is also interesting, but does it apply to only two working sets per exercise?
I used it for Top Set, Back off Set training, so same as what you're doing now.
Your example has 5 sets per exercise and I don't lift with that much volume.
It wasn't 5 sets per exercise, that was the top set each week. I'll edit it so it's lore clear, take a look back at that post in a minute.

Reaction score
OK gotcha. D'uh on my part (it's been a long weekend)! That makes total sense.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on when to bump up weight as I follow JPs u/l split (great youtube series btw). I'll give incline press as an example:

Set 1: target rep range 5 to 8
Set 2: target rep range 10 to 15

Week 1
Set 1: 8 reps at 205
Set 2: 12 reps at 155

Week 2
Set 1: 8 reps at 210 (I hit the upper rep range last week, so bump the weight up 5 lbs)
Set 2: 13 reps at 155 (no change in weight since I missed the upper rep range the week before, but I squeezed one more out this week)

Week 3
Set 1: 8 reps at 215 (increase weight again similar to last week)
Set 2: 14 reps at 155 (no change in weight vs prior week, but got an extra rep again)

So, now we're into week 4. Since I'm still hitting my upper rep range for set 1, I'll keep going up 5lbs till I miss it. My question is what would you do for set 2 in week 4? I went up a rep for 3 weeks straight but just couldn't get that 15th rep. Would you go for 15 again or bump the weight up 5 lbs to 160 and see where you fall in the rep range at that weight?

To sum it up, do you keep going up in weight till you fail to hit the lower rep range you established? Or do you only go up in weight after you hit the upper rep range? Or do you go up in weight after being somewhere in the middle of the rep range for a few weeks, but never hitting the upper limit?

Hope I made my question clear, but shoot back any questions or thoughts. Thanks fellas!
I know I'm late to the party, but from the proverbial horse's mouth:
1672780282959.png

Reaction score
Is that from the subscription portion of his site? I was thinking of subscribing myself, but was wondering if others have and think it is worth it. His YouTube video series has been fantastic.

Reaction score
Is that from the subscription portion of his site? I was thinking of subscribing myself, but was wondering if others have and think it is worth it. His YouTube video series has been fantastic.
This is from his book "Jordan Peters Training Principles", which you'd have to pay for. Not a lot of 'meat' in the book, but is easy to reference if you don't like watching long videos with no graphics.
^last part is 100% me.