Let’s try this shit: Bobby’s Diary

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Let’s see if i can find the thread daily and i’m going to try to upkeep this daily will do my best will start today with work outs and will soon add my meals as well today I did

Single dumbell rows 3x8x55 and

skipped cardio today and going home to eat now

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
First picture book log on UG. Even my kids can follow along.

I’d like to see your form on those first two
cable movements. Seems too heavy to
be doing them properly.

You don’t need the extra calories in the PB.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Title is confusing, sounds like you, Jin and CJ are sharing a log.
Would be better if, instead of pictures of equipment, you took videos and uploaded them.
Best of luck and thank you for a non political thread :)

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
First picture book log on UG. Even my kids can follow along.

I’d like to see your form on those first two
cable movements. Seems too heavy to
be doing them properly.

You don’t need the extra calories in the PB.

Damn i’m gonna be that guy huh recording myself at the gym fine next is a video diary coming up i guess of me doing shoulders.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah to add to Jin’s post, if you can only dB row 55lbs, those cable weights seem really off. For example, my 1 arm dB row is 200lbs but my cable lat(less) Pulldowns are only about 220 or 240.

also I’m not a fan of the exercise selection. All of your rows have a neutral grip and all of your Pulldowns have an overhand grip. Pretty redundant

Last edited:

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah to add to Jin’s post, if you can only dB row 55lbs, those cable weights seem really off. For example, my 1 arm dB row is 200lbs but my cable lat(less) Pulldowns are only about 220 or 240.

also I’m not a fan of the exercise selection. All of your rows have a neutral grip and all of your Pulldowns have an overhand grip. Pretty redundant

Im sure i can dumbbell row way more not 200 lol but i never do them so i started light to get a feel for the exercise the 180 lat pull down was difficult 160 think is my range to be comfortable with the movement the 190 machine row don’t pay attention to that that machine is super east but hits the back good but trust me you would do a stack of that plus some.

but my back killing me already so i did damage that’s good but i’m interested in what work out regiment you would do

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Im sure i can dumbbell row way more not 200 lol but i never do them so i started light to get a feel for the exercise the 180 lat pull down was difficult 160 think is my range to be comfortable with the movement the 190 machine row don’t pay attention to that that machine is super east but hits the back good but trust me you would do a stack of that plus some.

but my back killing me already so i did damage that’s good but i’m interested in what work out regiment you would do

I would do some type of overhand grip row like bent over barbell, bent over smith machine, chest supported tbar (most have that wide overhand grip option something along those lines. This will be primarily rhomboids, rear delts, and lower and mid traps. Then I’d do some type of strict preferably braced/ chest supported neutral grip row. Focus on bringing your humerus down and driving your elbow towards your hip, this will work more iliac fibers/ lower lats. For Pulldowns I’d do a pulldown like the one you used for more upper back muscles like rhomboids and mid to lower traps and probably rotate it with or do both a strict (keep back neutral, no arch and no swing) neutral grip (or underhand if you have the range of motion) pulldown again thinking drive elbows towards hips rather then upper chest for overall lats. If you look up Paul Carter on t-nation, he has some great articles on back training,

I took the time and found the article I was thinking about. Does a great job of teaching mechanics and picking the right movements for the job.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/thick-and-wide-the-back-solution

Last edited:

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I would do some type of overhand grip row like bent over barbell, bent over smith machine, chest supported tbar (most have that wide overhand grip option something along those lines. This will be primarily rhomboids, rear delts, and lower and mid traps. Then I’d do some type of strict preferably braced/ chest supported neutral grip row. Focus on bringing your humerus down and driving your elbow towards your hip, this will work more iliac fibers/ lower lats. For Pulldowns I’d do a pulldown like the one you used for more upper back muscles like rhomboids and mid to lower traps and probably rotate it with or do both a strict (keep back neutral, no arch and no swing) neutral grip (or underhand if you have the range of motion) pulldown again thinking drive elbows towards hips rather then upper chest for overall lats. If you look up Paul Carter on t-nation, he has some great articles on back training,

I took the time and found the article I was thinking about. Does a great job of teaching mechanics and picking the right movements for the job.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/thick-and-wide-the-back-solution

Bro you need like a super elite tag seriously. Thank you for taking your time next back day I will refer back to my diary here and your comment and use this advice. Only issue I will have will be with the bent over stuff that’s not chest supported due to knee issues and not being comfortable but i just have to man up and look stupid for a bit until I learn proper technique on the bent over rows cause i know i need to be doing those

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Bro you need like a super elite tag seriously. Thank you for taking your time next back day I will refer back to my diary here and your comment and use this advice. Only issue I will have will be with the bent over stuff that’s not chest supported due to knee issues and not being comfortable but i just have to man up and look stupid for a bit until I learn proper technique on the bent over rows cause i know i need to be doing those

thanks man, if you need to, I’d go hard on a chest supported piece and then do some bent over rows light and just focusing on squeezing and learning the form. For the chest supported my first two choices would be either a chest supported tbar or if you don’t have access to one hammer strength makes a pretty good plate loaded seated row that you can use.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
thanks man, if you need to, I’d go hard on a chest supported piece and then do some bent over rows light and just focusing on squeezing and learning the form. For the chest supported my first two choices would be either a chest supported tbar or if you don’t have access to one hammer strength makes a pretty good plate loaded seated row that you can use.

T bars at every gym I go to and they have a really nice plate loaded seated at one location I usually use all the time was just at different location today. T bar used once in a while but will start using all the time now though

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'll echo what Brock said perfectly Bobby. When you pick an exercise, it's not just a "Back" exercise. There are so many muscles in there, moving every which way, different functions, you have to pay attention to direction of elbow travel.

Basic rule of thumb, in your program pick 2 vertical and 2 horizontal plane exercises, 1 where your elbows stay wide, and 1 where they stay close to the body. Grip choice pretty much accomplishes this.

Add an exercise where you hit the erectors, like a DL or Squat, and you're pretty much complete.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
need someone to teach me proper technique otherwise i’ll mess my self up

how you put videos on here ?

Do you have a 45° back/hip extension bench? It looks like this...

Not the same as a DL, but it'll hit some of the same muscles, and it's harder at the top vs bottom for the DL.

New Threads