Novice Lifter - Best set/rep for muscle growth

Reaction score
I am 45 years old and have been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program for a few months. This is my first time working out for that length of time. I had a lot of growth in my legs and have gained strength all around. However, I am not gaining much muscle in my upper body. I read that more reps will help with muscle growth. Should I switch from 5x5 to 3x8? Should I do something else? I want to gain muscle so that I burn more calories and lose fat also to look better, I am overweight right now. Thanks, this is my first post.

Sityslicker1

Reaction score
If your progressively getting stronger each workout with your upper body your going to grow. It's may be hard to tell because of your bodyfat level.

Adrenolin

Elite
Reaction score
I will say 5x5 worked great for me my first 2.5yrs training, got my bench from 165 to 415 in that time frame... however I definitely didn't look like a body builder that could press that kind of weight.

To help hit my muscles harder and help induce growth over strength, I had focus on the target muscles more. Taking the exercises slow and really learn to feel the target muscle take the load of the weight.

Robdjents

Ski Bum
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think the 5x5 will help me lose fat?
Losing fat is gonna be a good diet along with some cardio...sure lifting burns calories but not as many as one would think..I learned this the hard way...I was that guy who didn’t “need” cardio..boy was I wrong..keep grinding and welcome to ug

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think the 5x5 will help me lose fat?
Think of your training as how to build or retain muscle. What you do in the kitchen will support either weight gain or loss.

Cardio and just generally being active will assist in burning some calories, therefore making it easier to be in a deficit. Not necessary for fat loss, but helpful. And it's healthy for you, so do something you like.

Last edited:

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I am 45 years old and have been doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program for a few months. This is my first time working out for that length of time. I had a lot of growth in my legs and have gained strength all around. However, I am not gaining much muscle in my upper body. I read that more reps will help with muscle growth. Should I switch from 5x5 to 3x8? Should I do something else? I want to gain muscle so that I burn more calories and lose fat also to look better, I am overweight right now. Thanks, this is my first post.
Stronglifts 5x5 is a solid program... As most are.

I personally would add a Pullup/Pulldown to the Day B though, that's the day where it's Squat, OH Press, and Deadlift.

That way there's both a horizontal and vertical movement for both pushing and pulling, in addition to the Squats and Deads.

Reaction score
Stronglifts 5x5 is a solid program... As most are.

I personally would add a Pullup/Pulldown to the Day B though, that's the day where it's Squat, OH Press, and Deadlift.

That way there's both a horizontal and vertical movement for both pushing and pulling, in addition to the Squats and Deads.
Thats a great idea. I have a little free time since I only do one set of DL's. Would it be the same 5x5?

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thats a great idea. I have a little free time since I only do one set of DL's. Would it be the same 5x5?
If you can do Pullups/Chinups, I'd do 3 sets of however many you can do.

If you choose Pulldowns, I'd do 3 sets of 8.

There's really no magic number, it's just working hard, keeping good form, and being consistent over time.

Good luck!!!

Reaction score
Is there a strong lift type exercise for abs? i do planks and time under tension, but i’d really like to hit it with heavy weights somehow

Adrenolin

Elite
Reaction score
Is there a strong lift type exercise for abs? i do planks and time under tension, but i’d really like to hit it with heavy weights somehow
Have your wife drop a 25lb dumbbell from the top of the steps down on your abs. That should hit them pretty hard. 😅

Yano

Reaction score
Here's an easy hack if you can do your leg lifts outside. Get an old tire with no rim and hook your feet into it , keep that on as you work the leg raises , once you get to your desired set and reps goal , you simply start filling it with sand , rocks , gravel , wtf ever you got around the yard, hell even water works but its it a pain in the ass not splashing around. When ya can't add any more filler and your maxed on sets n reps again , get a bigger tire and repeat.

Adrenolin

Elite
Reaction score
Here's an easy hack if you can do your leg lifts outside. Get an old tire with no rim and hook your feet into it , keep that on as you work the leg raises , once you get to your desired set and reps goal , you simply start filling it with sand , rocks , gravel , wtf ever you got around the yard, hell even water works but its it a pain in the ass not splashing around. When ya can't add any more filler and your maxed on sets n reps again , get a bigger tire and repeat.
Fill it with lead... good luck overcoming that weight challenge lol

I used to add lead to the center of my stones to make them quite a bit heavier than a full concrete one.

Yano

Reaction score
Fill it with lead... good luck overcoming that weight challenge lol

I used to add lead to the center of my stones to make them quite a bit heavier than a full concrete one.
Never got the chance to lift an actual atlas stone , plenty of big rocks doing ground work for foundations and carrying 3 bags of cement sort of the same way , putting em on my knees or off the pallet and then rolling em up onto my chest.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
it’s the only muscle group where i have to do high reps, which i don’t like
Abs are more a stabilization muscle, so they're geared toward higher reps. Play around with different exercises for DIRECT abdominal work, find one that makes you feel like you're going to puke, and there's your exercise for forever. For myself, doing crunches on the big inflated balls fukks mine up. No need to do anything else.

For INDIRECT work, various heavy carries, throwing shit like tires and logs, axe/sledge swings, etc... all require a high degree of stabilization, and you'll hit all the "core" muscles pretty well.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Your diet should be your focus.

Study what other successful bodybuilders eat to lose weight.

While building muscle will definitely help some, it is not enough by itself if your diet is for shit.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Consider going to a 4 day upper/lower split

Per muscle large muscle group, 3 sets of 3-5 moderate weight, 3-5 sets of 10, pump up the volume. Accessories 2 or 3 sets of 12.

Keep building those main lifts, add some volume to build the muscles.