O.M.A.D.?

Reaction score
Well the past 8 months or so I've not followed a proper diet/routine and yup I put on some fat and now I'm about to start dieting and training properly again and I'm curious who's had success with the one meal a day program?

I've done intermittent fasting in the past with good results, but I'm looking to try something new and OMAD fits my lifestyle right now as my current day to day routine doesn't burn as many calories as it did in the past and I'm not a young pup anymore either lol.

I'll be trying OMAD for 3 months at least along with 30 minutes daily weight training followed by 30 minutes cardio pre meal to gauge results, but what I'm really wondering is if more cals burned than ingested will equal fat loss or will OMAD result in starvation mode and fat loss becomes stubborn?

I'm thinking OMAD+daily weights/cardio will be successful, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions/feedback.

Thanks 🙂

Reaction score
I have no experience with omad. Sounds like starvation. Can your body even absorb the amount of calories you need all in one meal?

Reaction score
I believe you'll lose a lot of muscle and not just fat on just one meal a day along with training/cardio.

I ain't worried about keeping muscle just getting/staying lean and healthy for longer lifespan. I'll be starting metformin soon as well and hopefully it doesn't give me the squirts 😬

MindlessWork

Captain Obvious
Reaction score
I ain't worried about keeping muscle just getting/staying lean and healthy for longer lifespan. I'll be starting metformin soon as well and hopefully it doesn't give me the squirts 😬
Perhaps log this to show others how it all works as well as tracking your progress?

Reaction score
Hopefully others will chime in and make suggestions and recommendations as your health is at stake in doing something like this.

Oh no my health isn't at stake at all brother. It wasn't very long ago people would only eat one or 2 meals a day know what I'm saying?

I'm just curious is OMAD is for mostly obese people or if it's also useful for slightly wiggly folks as well lol.

Reaction score
I guess it comes.down to calories in vs calories out. If omad is the system that works for you, how can I knock it? I'm no expert though, just my thoughts.
If you try it, gives us an update!

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
It's contradictory.

You eat one larger meal a day and it is more difficult for your body to digest. A larger percentage of what your body cannot immediately use for energy is stored as fat.

You eat smaller meals throughout the day and it speeds up your metabolism allowing you to more quickly and easily digest food for energy. There is less opportunity for your body to store excess calories as fat.

Reaction score
It's contradictory.

You eat one larger meal a day and it is more difficult for your body to digest. A larger percentage of what your body cannot immediately use for energy is stored as fat.

You eat smaller meals throughout the day and it speeds up your metabolism allowing you to more quickly and easily digest food for energy. There is less opportunity for your body to store excess calories as fat.

Yes multiple small meals per day does elevate metabolism, but a lot of what I've read/watched regarding OMAD shows huge improvement in lowering bg levels, improvement in greater overall health and increase in cognitive processes.

Now I'm not advocating for OMAD, I'm just pointing out interesting results I've come across and find interesting enough to try.

Worse case scenario I don't lose fat as fast.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
How much muscle are carrying that you're not concerned about losing any?
Lean tissue is very important for health and longevity, and quality of life, not just lower bodyfat levels.

I'd strongly recommend supplementing with some EAAs at least 2 times throughout the day, to keep a good supy of amino available for your body to use, so it's less likely to breakdown hard earned muscle tissue.

This will only add minimal calories, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, your body will quickly adapt to the drastic cut in calories, and try to fight you.

A better plan would be to PROGRESSIVELY cut Cals/meals down so you have a nice long run of continued progress and are able to make changes once you stall. If you start out at 1 meal per day and stall, where do you go from there???

And be mindful of the rebound you will absolutely get when this experiment is over. Don't go crazy, or you'll be in a worse pos8thsn before you even started.

Best of luck!!!

Reaction score
Hopefully others will chime in and make suggestions and recommendations as your health is at stake in doing something like this.
Can you explain how his health is at stake. I swear to god, you need your own moderator to edit/delete your stupid posts.

A lot of people do this type of eating. Just because we have aisles filled with plentiful amounts of cheetos Lucky charms and ice cream so that you can eat “3 balanced meals a day” doesn’t mean that’s the ONLY way to eat.

Do more reading and less commenting. Use the Google every once in a while. Commenting “hopefully others will chime in” is redundantly retarded. It’s a forum. That’s how forums work. You don’t know so don’t comment, someone else will.

Reaction score
Well the past 8 months or so I've not followed a proper diet/routine and yup I put on some fat and now I'm about to start dieting and training properly again and I'm curious who's had success with the one meal a day program?

I've done intermittent fasting in the past with good results, but I'm looking to try something new and OMAD fits my lifestyle right now as my current day to day routine doesn't burn as many calories as it did in the past and I'm not a young pup anymore either lol.

I'll be trying OMAD for 3 months at least along with 30 minutes daily weight training followed by 30 minutes cardio pre meal to gauge results, but what I'm really wondering is if more cals burned than ingested will equal fat loss or will OMAD result in starvation mode and fat loss becomes stubborn?

I'm thinking OMAD+daily weights/cardio will be successful, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions/feedback.

Thanks 🙂
Instead of “intermittent fasting” they refer to this as “intermittent feasting”. The idea being that this is how hunter/gatherers likely eat and live. I was able to do it for a month two years ago, working my way up to 3 1/2 pounds of steak every day for lunch (Costco is really handy for that). I gave myself a one hour feeding window. The first 10 days is torture but after that, you adjust and feel great.

Digestion occurs in the stomach as well as the colon and small intestines. Eating one meal sounds like starvation but your body is digesting food for a very long time. It takes over 36 hours for food to travel through your colon, alone. That dump that you dropped this morning was digested food from Thursday or Wednesday of last week. This is by design since we evolved eating sporadically big meals as we killed our prey.

It works. You’ll lose body fat, not so much muscle, but without glycogen in your muscles you’ll lose fullness and strength (many perceive this as losing actual muscle mass). The real benefit will be as a reset. You’ll regard food differently when you eat once a day. Is pizza going to sustain you over 24 hours or do you need a more dense foodsource. Carbs provide short-term fuel which is why I stuck to beef. Even complex carbs like potatoes wouldn’t work over the 24 hours until the next meal. So you reset the way you look at food and completely reset your insulin sensitivity.

The metformin won’t be necessary if you end up forgoing carbs in favor of meat.

Reaction score
Instead of “intermittent fasting” they refer to this as “intermittent feasting”. The idea being that this is how hunter/gatherers likely eat and live. I was able to do it for a month two years ago, working my way up to 3 1/2 pounds of steak every day for lunch (Costco is really handy for that). I gave myself a one hour feeding window. The first 10 days is torture but after that, you adjust and feel great.

Digestion occurs in the stomach as well as the colon and small intestines. Eating one meal sounds like starvation but your body is digesting food for a very long time. It takes over 36 hours for food to travel through your colon, alone. That dump that you dropped this morning was digested food from Thursday or Wednesday of last week. This is by design since we evolved eating sporadically big meals as we killed our prey.

It works. You’ll lose body fat, not so much muscle, but without glycogen in your muscles you’ll lose fullness and strength (many perceive this as losing actual muscle mass). The real benefit will be as a reset. You’ll regard food differently when you eat once a day. Is pizza going to sustain you over 24 hours or do you need a more dense foodsource. Carbs provide short-term fuel which is why I stuck to beef. Even complex carbs like potatoes wouldn’t work over the 24 hours until the next meal. So you reset the way you look at food and completely reset your insulin sensitivity.

The metformin won’t be necessary if you end up forgoing carbs in favor of meat.

I'll be going with a 2 hour eating window so basically it's a 22/2 fasting/feeding schedule and won't be giving up carbs, but I won't be stuffing my face with pizza or chips either lol. And yes now that I think about it you are right that metformin won't be required. Great post brother, thank you :)

Reaction score
I believe you'll lose a lot of muscle and not just fat on just one meal a day along with training/cardio.
based on what? as usual you are parroting things you have no idea about despite stalking around bodybuilding forums for 20 years and making no progress. seriously all you do is parrot things you have no idea about. you are basically a chat bot.....

Signsin1

Reaction score
based on what? as usual you are parroting things you have no idea about despite stalking around bodybuilding forums for 20 years and making no progress. seriously all you do is parrot things you have no idea about. you are basically a chat bot.....
Stop bumping old threads with this dickhead so he stays away.. Reading your other posts about eating one meal a day and your drunk rants lets me know you are a worthless fucking troll

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

However, information may be gleaned from studies investigating the impact of daily feeding pattern on protein metabolism. For example, consuming a balanced pattern of moderate protein-containing meals (i.e., 3–4 meals at ~0.25–0.3 g/kg per meal) supports greater rates of myofibrillar and mixed muscle protein synthesis (65, 66) as well as whole body net balance (67) at rest and during recovery from resistance exercise in energy balance as compared to larger less frequent meals or in a skewed distribution (i.e., majority of protein in a single meal). These longer acute trials (i.e., 12–24 h) support the “muscle full” concept (56) that is exemplified by a maximal muscle protein synthetic response to acute protein ingestion (68). Collectively these acute studies support the concept that meal feeding pattern, irrespective of total protein intake, can influence whole body and muscle protein remodeling with large protein-containing meals stimulating postprandial AA oxidization rather than muscle tissue synthesis (Figure 1). Thus, based on the acute research to date, we argue that the lost opportunity for AA-induced MPS with more feedings may not be compensated for with fewer feedings at higher doses, as what is likely to occur with IF.

In the simple model with number of meals as a continuous predictor, there was a trend for more meals to be associated with better FFM retention (change in FFM with each unit increase in number of meals: 0.22 ± 0.11 kg; 95% CI: −0.02 to 0.46; P = 0.07). In the full and reduced models, the trend became significant (0.25 ± 0.10 kg; 95% CI: 0.03 to 0.47; P = 0.03) (Table 4).

In the simple model with number of meals as a continuous predictor, a higher number of meals was associated with a greater decrease in % BF (change in % BF with each unit increase in number of meals: −0.23 ± 0.09%; 95% CI: −0.43 to −0.03; P = 0.03).

This is the first meta-analysis to evaluate the effects of differing meal frequencies on body composition. The primary novel and important findings of the analysis are that increased feeding frequency appeared to be positively associated with reductions in fat mass and body fat percentage as well as an increase in FFM.