Oblique Work

Reaction score
Over time less people have done oblique work, thinking they're just making their waist wider. What do you guys think? Don't do it myself for many years.

Last edited:

GSgator

Reaction score
I do it just to make sure my core is a complete stable package so its more so for preventative maintenance towards strains and lower back injuries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going into strongman (though currently a weakman), so I need that thick core. But from a BBing perspective, I think it depends. Reg Park, Bill Pearl, John Grimek had pretty thick cores since they were more about that power look instead of raw V-taper like Zane. And with my personal bias stated, they looked fucking awesome!

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
With heavy compound work I wouldn’t see the need for it.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
I do heavy oblique work almost every week. Obliques are more important than recuts abdominus work for strength IMO. I like heavy carries, offset one arm carries, static side holds with a barbell, landmine twists and static holds on a 45 degree hyper with a dumbbell or kettlebell. I usually do these movements for time instead of reps. When going heavy I keep it between 15-30 secs. For lighter weight I like to go 1-2 mins.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
I do heavy oblique work almost every week. Obliques are more important than recuts abdominus work for strength IMO. I like heavy carries, offset one arm carries, static side holds with a barbell, landmine twists and static holds on a 45 degree hyper with a dumbbell or kettlebell. I usually do these movements for time instead of reps. When going heavy I keep it between 15-30 secs. For lighter weight I like to go 1-2 mins.
No question they're good for strength.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I do a ton of it. Pallof presses, Turkish get ups, and lots of static planking.

Having strength in the obliques is key to being able to do technical stand-ups with a 2am butter faced bar fly passed out on you.

I mean...unless you want to gnaw your own arm off...your choice.

Trendkill

Reaction score
I do a ton of it. Pallof presses, Turkish get ups, and lots of static planking.

Having strength in the obliques is key to being able to do technical stand-ups with a 2am butter faced bar fly passed out on you.

I mean...unless you want to gnaw your own arm off...your choice.
did this happen Friday night or Saturday night? Or both? Was an excavator involved?

Pallof presses are another favorite as well. I actually just like doing them for time with the band held out in front of me.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
did this happen Friday night or Saturday night? Or both? Was an excavator involved?

Pallof presses are another favorite as well. I actually just like doing them for time with the band held out in front of me.

I've got a cherry picker with a radio controlled servo wired into a 220v outlet by my bed. But...I'm a lounge lizard. A real self-loathing chubby chaser.

For those that don't have my professional setup and make the occasional "mistake"...the oblique work is helpful.

But yessir, pallofs are great. I do them in lots of weird ways. Arms up, down, doing lunges, single arm, all sorts of weird stuff.

Trendkill

Reaction score
I've got a cherry picker with a radio controlled servo wired into a 220v outlet by my bed. But...I'm a lounge lizard. A real self-loathing chubby chaser.

For those that don't have my professional setup and make the occasional "mistake"...the oblique work is helpful.

But yessir, pallofs are great. I do them in lots of weird ways. Arms up, down, doing lunges, single arm, all sorts of weird stuff.
You don’t happen to live near the Omega Moo sorority house by chance?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You don’t happen to live near the Omega Moo sorority house by chance?

I was trespassed after I went to their chocolate milkshake mixer as Captain Ahab....thank you for bringing up that painful memory.

Wasn't even a real harpoon. Stupid bitches.

Swiper.

Elite
Reaction score
dd6664db9b84aadad3f2ad05d1289e51.jpg

i use this machine. it works good.

6684bc006939e2807446b1cbe33331b0.jpg

Last edited:

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i like decline sit ups with twisting

OldeBull1

Reaction score
I like landmine twists myself. Build that armor around the sline!

New Threads