Open Letter to Newbies

Stickler

Elite
Reaction score
A lot of new members have crashed and burned lately. There have certainly been some trolls, who deserve a fiery demise, but I believe there are also some, who for one reason or another, get off on the wrong foot, get off balance, and are never able to right the ship. I’ve tried to articulate some of our unwritten rules/ norms to help the later group get a better start.

I didn’t get everything, but it’s a start. Please feel free to add.

************************************************************************************
Open Letter to Newbies:

I’ve been a member of UGBB since 2012. When I first joined, I tripped on the door sill. I didn’t post an intro thread, peppered everyone with stupid question since I had just started TRT (“i.e. are injections better than cream”?), and feebly attempted to share the knowledge I had gained from 2 months of therapy, which, looking back, wasn’t much. Whether from pity or patience the members here tolerated me and, as years have passed, accepted me as one of their own. As someone who came in with a less than a grand entrance, I’ll offer some advice:

• Introduce yourself, sit back, and chill. Observe how members interact with each other. Little things matter. If you go to a house party and everyone has taken off their shoes, don’t be the guy who keeps his boots on.
  • There is always someone smarter than you. If you have something that you just learned and are excited about, share it humbly. Be prepared to hear counterpoints. Don’t take it personally if someone has a different perspective.
  • Be thick skinned. Sarcasm doesn’t always come across well when it’s written. However, we all use it.
  • If you’re new, and you start talking about a product you use or a company you love, be prepared to be thought of as a troll with an agenda of drumming up sales. You won’t be taken seriously.
  • Check your ego at the door. You're here to learn and we want to help but an open mind and the ability to process constructive criticism is required. You won't gain anything by picking fights (Contributed by Iron1)
  • Don’t be a taker. Sure, ask questions, but also contribute. If you found this site you likely have experience with one or more things that interest us. Share what you’ve learned, what you’ve tried, what worked/ what didn’t work.
  • Realize that no one knows who you are. Treat your entry into this forum as if you just walked into a room of strangers. Manners, humility, and respect matter.
  • If you’re doing something that is ill advised be prepared to be called stupid. It doesn’t mean we question your IQ, it means we care enough to discourage you from doing it.
  • You don’t have to take all the advice you’re given. However, realize that someone took the time out of their day to give it to you so, if you decide not to follow it, provide your thinking and rationale.
  • Bro science doesn't go over well here. If you state something as factual, provide a link to a study or have personal experience.
  • A lot of the questions you have may have been asked before. Try using the search function (Contributed by POB)
  • This is not a source board, this is an educational forum. We share personal experiences and advice (Contributed by Motown)
  • Post up and make friends (Contributed by Yaya)
  • Read the rules; follow the rules. https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/2511-Forum-Rules-sticky
Is this pinned? If not it should be.

Oldbastard

Reaction score
A lot of new members have crashed and burned lately. There have certainly been some trolls, who deserve a fiery demise, but I believe there are also some, who for one reason or another, get off on the wrong foot, get off balance, and are never able to right the ship. I’ve tried to articulate some of our unwritten rules/ norms to help the later group get a better start.

I didn’t get everything, but it’s a start. Please feel free to add.

************************************************************************************
Open Letter to Newbies:

I’ve been a member of UGBB since 2012. When I first joined, I tripped on the door sill. I didn’t post an intro thread, peppered everyone with stupid question since I had just started TRT (“i.e. are injections better than cream”?), and feebly attempted to share the knowledge I had gained from 2 months of therapy, which, looking back, wasn’t much. Whether from pity or patience the members here tolerated me and, as years have passed, accepted me as one of their own. As someone who came in with a less than a grand entrance, I’ll offer some advice:

• Introduce yourself, sit back, and chill. Observe how members interact with each other. Little things matter. If you go to a house party and everyone has taken off their shoes, don’t be the guy who keeps his boots on.
  • There is always someone smarter than you. If you have something that you just learned and are excited about, share it humbly. Be prepared to hear counterpoints. Don’t take it personally if someone has a different perspective.
  • Be thick skinned. Sarcasm doesn’t always come across well when it’s written. However, we all use it.
  • If you’re new, and you start talking about a product you use or a company you love, be prepared to be thought of as a troll with an agenda of drumming up sales. You won’t be taken seriously.
  • Check your ego at the door. You're here to learn and we want to help but an open mind and the ability to process constructive criticism is required. You won't gain anything by picking fights (Contributed by Iron1)
  • Don’t be a taker. Sure, ask questions, but also contribute. If you found this site you likely have experience with one or more things that interest us. Share what you’ve learned, what you’ve tried, what worked/ what didn’t work.
  • Realize that no one knows who you are. Treat your entry into this forum as if you just walked into a room of strangers. Manners, humility, and respect matter.
  • If you’re doing something that is ill advised be prepared to be called stupid. It doesn’t mean we question your IQ, it means we care enough to discourage you from doing it.
  • You don’t have to take all the advice you’re given. However, realize that someone took the time out of their day to give it to you so, if you decide not to follow it, provide your thinking and rationale.
  • Bro science doesn't go over well here. If you state something as factual, provide a link to a study or have personal experience.
  • A lot of the questions you have may have been asked before. Try using the search function (Contributed by POB)
  • This is not a source board, this is an educational forum. We share personal experiences and advice (Contributed by Motown)
  • Post up and make friends (Contributed by Yaya)
  • Read the rules; follow the rules. https://www.ugbodybuilding.com/threads/2511-Forum-Rules-sticky
Great post!

I personally have been on various forums as member as super mod , as many things for as long as forums have been! In 1999/ 2000 you could count on one hand how many boards existed . Muggy has always ran the top forums if not the best on the web . Training and eating come first . If you can't get those things correct then spending money and time using " assistance " can be a waste. 45 years of bodybuilding/ weight training. 52 years daily martial art training with years of injury , set back orthopedic surgeries you make it I been there . I toured overseas in the Army Operation Desert Storm , I have my MSW retired LICSW now certified veterinarian technician in my retirement. In my home built gym too work out if we get hit by shutdown again . The key is too educate yourself and humble yourself always . Too open oneself too listen and read others explaining their thoughts. Yet only fully react to your own thoughts and influence. You are your greatest teacher . Trail and error . While many here can help you limit errors but we all live according too our own Desires, make up and genetics. . Some novel approach here and there when many jump on bandwagon. However, the best manner of progress has already been proven . Learn from mistakes. Mistakes can be lessons or they can imprison your mind by repeating them over and over . Just remember the body regardless of chemical assistance or not responds too a process called," homeostasis " . Change . You need too make small changes over time too progress . Don't get stuck doing same old same old .

Reaction score
Эта доска растет быстрыми темпами..

Новые участники должны чувствовать себя желанными гостями, и мы должны поощрять их публиковать сообщения и спрашивать все, что у нового участника на уме.
Мне очень нравится такое отношение к новичкам. Поставьте себя на наше место и помогите нам избежать ненужных ошибок..

andy

Elite
Reaction score
Мне очень нравится такое отношение к новичкам. Поставьте себя на наше место и помогите нам избежать ненужных ошибок..
u do realise that majority won't understand a word u sayin lol

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
u do realise that majority won't understand a word u sayin lol
I have to keep translating with Google, only to find out there is nothing worthwhile in his post 😅

andy

Elite
Reaction score
I have to keep translating with Google, only to find out there is nothing worthwhile in his post 😅
nah they basically say to respect and love eachother and newguys, some stuff like that.

Reaction score
Sorry, I read an article from a Russian forum through a translator, it's clear that something went wrong🤦‍♂️

New Threads