Please critique this split

Send0

Elite
Reaction score
Subscribing; as I could stand to learn more about what makes a good or bad split.

eazy

Squat Juggernaut
Reaction score
Subscribing; as I could stand to learn more about what makes a good or bad split.
it's weird. usually I see ppl or upper lower not a combo. doesn't make it wrong though, we'll see.

Send0

Elite
Reaction score
it's weird. usually I see ppl or upper lower not a combo. doesn't make it wrong though, we'll see.
Right, that's why I paused from giving any actual feedback. I don't think your split is wrong, and I actually think it keeps the workouts interesting.

At the same time I've just lived in such a simplistic bubble when it comes to workout splits, that I realized this is a good opportunity for me to sit back quietly (for once 😂) and learn.

Skullcrusher

Reaction score
It's very well put together.

Maybe BB Bench Press, BB Guillotine Press, or BB Decline Press?

Not sure if you do OHP seated or not, but that's what I do to make sure I don't cheat and use my legs!

I say give it a shot and then adjust volume, sets, reps, and weight based on:

1. your goals
2. how they feel on the last few reps
3. how you feel after the workout

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've run this split, an Upper/Lower/P/P/L many times. In fact, it would be my favorite if I knew I could get to the gym 5 days per week, and didn't work 60-70 hours per week.

Looks good to me, only possible concern is on Saturday, alternating the DB Skullcrushers and the CG Benchpress. I'd consider them somewhat redundant if both were done on a flat bench. Now if you do the DB Skulls on a 45° Incline Bench, now we're talking, hitting the long head of the Triceps under a stretch.

Maybe even alternate the Incline Skulls with the Banded Tricep Pushdowns you have later on, and alternate the CG Benchpress with the External Rotations?

Just a thought. It's by no means a must do. Better to do what FEELS best for you, know your own body.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Love it. "Muscle Confusion," or "Asymmetrical Workout Plan," whatever you want to call it, it's got a bunch of us seeing what we can learn from you.

eazy

Squat Juggernaut
Reaction score
Love it. "Muscle Confusion," "Asymmetrical Workout Plan," whatever you want to call it, it's got a bunch of us seeing what we can learn from you.

I found it searching for something to start next week.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. In fact, I learned a thing or two from this. Will try to incorporate them during my workouts. thanks!

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I would just find a percentage based program for the compound lift on each day and run with it. Say 5/3/1, Cube, 5th set etc. Stick with the tried and true methods they work and the BS about we are different is dumb as hell. 90% of us are the same. The 10% have no issue with making progress with what ever they do. The programs I listed have been so popular because they work for the majority

eazy

Squat Juggernaut
Reaction score
I would just find a percentage based program for the compound lift on each day and run with it. Say 5/3/1, Cube, 5th set etc. Stick with the tried and true methods they work and the BS about we are different is dumb as hell. 90% of us are the same. The 10% have no issue with making progress with what ever they do. The programs I listed have been so popular because they work for the majority
6 years ago I started with stronglifts 5x5 app. I'd never lifted before. At 6 months I move onto 5/3/1. I have run that ever since.

You are right it works current 1rm's squat 510, bench 370, deadlift 600.

Sets of 5's 3's and singles are not how the training is set up, for the physique I'm after.

No more powerlifting style training I want to look like a bodybuilder and train like one. (at least how I think they train based on youtube)

As you know I hurt myself, low reps heavy weight. Time to change it up.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
6 years ago I started with stronglifts 5x5 app. I'd never lifted before. At 6 months I move onto 5/3/1. I have run that ever since.

You are right it works current 1rm's squat 510, bench 370, deadlift 600.

Sets of 5's 3's and singles are not how the training is set up, for the physique I'm after.

No more powerlifting style training I want to look like a bodybuilder and train like one. (at least how I think they train based on youtube)

As you know I hurt myself, low reps heavy weight. Time to change it up.
They seem to all be following close to the same approach these days. I have been trying to do it as well. PPL type splits and top sets with back of sets. Then periodically throwing in intensifiers when their trying to increase metabolic rate. I stole Hunter Labradas split and I love it 2-3 weeks in. There is a YouTube video with an awesome explanation and in the description it has the whole thing laid out.