Polyethersulfone(PES) vs Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol(PETG)

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
He does, though. FD has been around for a very, very long time and absolutely knows his shit.
Not in this case he doesn’t. What he said is objectively wrong.

Not sure what his length of tenure has to do with anything. Being wrong is the same after a day or after fifteen years.

Reaction score
This might not cover every thing but It shows quite a bit. I'm sure no chemist but it seems like common sense to me not to keep solvents and such in plastic jugs n bottles.
View attachment 17326

Benzyl Benzoate isn't even on that list, but you can clearly see that certain plastics are safe with certain chemicals.

Reaction score
"Polypropylene resins, like most polyolefin resins, are highly resistant to solvents and chemicals. They are appreciably affected by strong inorganic acids such as fuming nitric acid at room temperature and 98% sulfuric acid at 600C."

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Benzyl Benzoate isn't even on that list, but you can clearly see that certain plastics are safe with certain chemicals.
Reread that part where I say , im sure no chemist ... im not saying i know better , just found that chart and personally think solvents in plastic are sketchy ,, i got no horse in this race ,, at ease boot.

Reaction score
Reread that part where I say , im sure no chemist ... im not saying i know better , just found that chart and personally think solvents in plastic are sketchy ,, i got no horse in this race ,, at ease boot.

My reply wasn't meant to be harsh or show attitude towards you brother.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score

you have to remember,
Ever solvent and acid is different
Let's look at Hydrofluoric acid.
Melts steel and glass.
perfectly safe in certain compounds like Polyethylene... also known as common plastic.

To generalize Chemistry is nonsensical to be honest brother

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
you have to remember,
Melts steel and glass.
perfectly safe in certain compounds like Polyethylene... also known as common plastic.

That shits all so far above my pay grade it's not even funny I just thought the chart would help girlfriends did my home work I just had to show up for practice hahaah never been the brains of the team , I mostly just hurt folks.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
That shits all so far above my pay grade it's not even funny I just thought the chart would help girlfriends did my home work I just had to show up for practice hahaah never been the brains of the team , I mostly just hurt folks.

I gotcha amigo

I just find generalizations when it comes to chemistry hilarious
3very compound has it's own specific rules.

So when I saw buddy say "All types of solvents should be stored in X or Y containers"
It's like... what?
Go ahead.... glass strong, metal strong!
But if you out certain chemicals in a metal.or glass container... they melt.
But you put them in "Weak" plastic and they're safe.

That's why this whole discussion makes zero sense to me.

Of anyone had a point to prove they could just post a specific MSDS or MDS from fucking WHMIS... lmfao

But I havnt seen one yet, so I'll just sit here and laugh at the silliness

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
you have to remember,
Melts steel and glass.

This is exactly correct.

Fluorine will turn glass into a brown goo. It won’t do shit to PTFE (a fluoropolymer plastic).

To say “glass is better than plastic because plastic leeches” is incorrect. Some plastics will leech when used with some chemicals, but “plastic will leech” is completely false.

Edit: wow what a loser. Butthurt boy spammed every one of my comments with the shitpost. This guy is highly regarded around here? Yikes.

Don’t say stupid shit and you won’t get called out on it, @FlyingDickhead.

Last edited:

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
This is exactly correct.

Fluorine will turn glass into a brown goo. It won’t do shit to PTFE (a fluoropolymer plastic).

To say “glass is better than plastic because plastic leeches” is incorrect. Some plastics will leech when used with some chemicals, but “plastic will leech” is completely false.

It's like basic Chemistry

Fuck, not even basic chemistry
Basic employment.
In canada you have to take WHMIS to even be employed.
It dictates chemical storage,
It's like tab 4 that you have to contain particular chemicals in particularly containers based off of composition.

Reaction score
Plastics are an integral part of the brewing process and guys even back fill syringes yet I don't hear any fear mongering about that or the use of plastic bottle top filters or PTFE membranes.

And to be clear I'm not talking about all solvents here just BA and BB, both of which can be safely stored in polypropylene containers.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Plastics are an integral part of the brewing process and guys even back fill syringes yet I don't hear any fear mongering about that or the use of plastic bottle top filters or PTFE membranes.

And to be clear I'm not talking about all solvents here just BA and BB, both of which can be safely stored in polypropylene containers.
I only use glass syringes bro. The plastic ones melt and leech into your gear :rolleyes:

New Threads