Post Workout Shake

Jonjon

Reaction score
For the last year I have a post workout shake on my way home from the gym and follow up with a meal about an hour after lifting

My shake consists of
50g optimum nutrition whey protein
1/2 cup of oats
5g creatine
5g Glutamine
In 8oz of raw 2% milk

Is this a good post workout shake? Do I need to incorporate some simple carbs and drop the oats? Anything I need to change?

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
you can drop the shake if you want and just eat an hour later, its not needed. If you want it then have it how it is as long as its within your daily calorie/nutrition target

MrBafner

Reaction score
It's ok, but I have found that I much prefer:

60g whey protein isolate
50g cyclic dextrin
2.5g glutamine
2.5g creatine
5g bcaa

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
It's ok, but I have found that I much prefer:

60g whey protein isolate
50g cyclic dextrin
2.5g glutamine
2.5g creatine
5g bcaa
Wouldnt the whey contain plenty of bcaa's?

MrBafner

Reaction score
Wouldnt the whey contain plenty of bcaa's?
The whey is vanilla and the bcaa is berry .. the cyclic dextrin fluffs it up like a thick shake and the bcaa makes it taste really nice.

I always overkill on the bcaa .. it does make me a little puffy, but so worth it. Is like eating a steak between meals with low calories.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
The whey is vanilla and the bcaa is berry .. the cyclic dextrin fluffs it up like a thick shake and the bcaa makes it taste really nice.

I always overkill on the bcaa .. it does make me a little puffy, but so worth it. Is like eating a steak between meals with low calories.
if its for flavor i get that just pounding bcaa's is a little pointless imo

MrBafner

Reaction score
if its for flavor i get that just pounding bcaa's is a little pointless imo
I found bcaa very pleasing .. sure, costs a bit of money, I have 5g pretty frequent. Is definately the main supplement that I use with glutamine.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
For the last year I have a post workout shake on my way home from the gym and follow up with a meal about an hour after lifting

My shake consists of
50g optimum nutrition whey protein
1/2 cup of oats
5g creatine
5g Glutamine
In 8oz of raw 2% milk

Is this a good post workout shake? Do I need to incorporate some simple carbs and drop the oats? Anything I need to change?
How long BEFORE your training session are you having a meal?

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
only time i have a shake is to hit my protein target if i fall short and thats not often and thats a low sugar low carb whey just for the protein. Never had an issue reaching a carb target

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I found bcaa very pleasing .. sure, costs a bit of money, I have 5g pretty frequent. Is definately the main supplement that I use with glutamine.
if it works for you then keep at it buddy we all different

MrBafner

Reaction score
only time i have a shake is to hit my protein target if i fall short and thats not often and thats a low sugar low carb whey just for the protein. Never had an issue reaching a carb target
I never use to have shakes, until maybe the middle of last year. I was feeling fatigued mid-workout leading to me crashing towards the end of my workout. Primarly caused by to much cardio (walking for 1 to 3 hours a day) ... my coach at the time made me have these shakes to replenish glucogen .. worked real good, and yes .. I did feel puffy in the belly for a while, but the day after I feel full.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I never use to have shakes, until maybe the middle of last year. I was feeling fatigued mid-workout leading to me crashing towards the end of my workout. Primarly caused by to much cardio (walking for 1 to 3 hours a day) ... my coach at the time made me have these shakes to replenish glucogen .. worked real good, and yes .. I did feel puffy in the belly for a while, but the day after I feel full.
the issue there is your pre workout meal, unless your lifting for 3 hours plus you should have enough from your preworkout meal. Maybe an intra workout carb drink but thats all you need

Reactions: CJ

MrBafner

Reaction score
the issue there is your pre workout meal, unless your lifting for 3 hours plus you should have enough from your preworkout meal. Maybe an intra workout carb drink but thats all you need
Agree .. I do have a pre-workout meal, also have a post workout meal.
I don't have a intra - but the post workout covers that with the cyclic dextrin and found the stuff to be amazing - multi dextrin is also pretty good. The cyclic dextrin is basically multi-dextrin with other additives .. both I found pretty good .. even in comp prep .. 2 weeks out I would stop it.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Agree .. I do have a pre-workout meal, also have a post workout meal.
I don't have a intra - but the post workout covers that with the cyclic dextrin and found the stuff to be amazing - multi dextrin is also pretty good. The cyclic dextrin is basically multi-dextrin with other additives .. both I found pretty good .. even in comp prep .. 2 weeks out I would stop it.
I aint no bodybuilder so i will be quiet if your stepping on stage your streets ahead of where i ever will be

Jonjon

Reaction score
How long BEFORE your training session are you having a meal?
2 hours, sometimes 3. Just a light meal though, 6oz chicken and 200-250g sweet potatoes or 200g brown rice

MrBafner

Reaction score
I aint no bodybuilder so i will be quiet if your stepping on stage your streets ahead of where i ever will be
lol .. no way man, appreciate your feedback thank you. I'm always learning and I love it. Just sharing my experience that I found helpful.

That's me in the gold middle .. line up of 39 competitors. Probably the hardest comp I 've been in ..just under 6% bf.

Attachments

• 75576702_168125860931080_7110799661860710977_n(1).jpg
    75576702_168125860931080_7110799661860710977_n(1).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 13

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
2 hours, sometimes 3. Just a light meal though, 6oz chicken and 200-250g sweet potatoes or 200g brown rice
OK, then the post workout shake isn't NEEDED, but it's not hurting anything either, so make it whatever you like. You still have plenty of nutrients circulating from your PRE workout meal.

You could drop it if you want, or keep it. If you need the Cals, keep it, that's why I drink an intra shake.

If it's psychological, let's you know that you have your bases covered, then keep it.

If you ever need to drop Cals though, that's where I'd start.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I did oats for years when I was younger immediately post workout with my shake (stayed bloated for awhile). I use dextrose now days and it makes it easier to get in that next whole food meal.

Jonjon

Reaction score
I did oats for years when I was younger immediately post workout with my shake (stayed bloated for awhile). I use dextrose now days and it makes it easier to get in that next whole food meal.
Does the dextrose give you the carbs?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Does the dextrose give you the carbs?
Dextrose is carbs, it's pure glucose, made from corn.

General rule... If it ends in -ose, it's a sugar/carb. Dextrose, glucose, maltose, lactose, galactose, sucrose, fructose...