Rust Pitting

Reaction score
Got a smith machine for a decent price. The wife wants to lift, but is intimidated by a free barbell, but says she likes the smith machine. I figure, its better than not lifting at all. I know there's gonna be SM haters, but eh, whatever.

Anyway, it had some minor pitting on the shiny parts. I sprayed it with fluid film and took a green scotch pad to it. Worked great. I wiped it down and left a light coat on for lube and to prevent any future rust.

Thought this might help anyone looking to clean up their equipment.

20220120_193222.jpg20220120_193146.jpg

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol a smith has its place. But hey, its a start for the wife and hopefully a stepping stone of confidence to move on to more free weight.

Reaction score
Lol a smith has its place. But hey, its a start for the wife and hopefully a stepping stone of confidence to move on to more free weight.
My thought exactly. I'm hoping this will be a good start and eventually she'll want to start picking up the real barbell. Of course in her own time, because if I push it, it'll just frustrate her.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score

Not gonna lie.
I like the Smith machine
It's fantastic for tiring out my legs after my squat working sets, before I move to extensions and curls.
I've been known to use it for ckose grip bench after my working sets in a bench as well

Reaction score
My motives for purchasing this piece arent completely unselfish. It has a selectorized lat and low row, which is appealing. And it came with weight plates so I should be good with weight. Also, I've been wanting a leg press, but couldnt justify the cost or space. I think this is the perfect excuse to fabricate a footplate and have a makeshift vertical leg press.

Reaction score
Not gonna lie.
I like the Smith machine
It's fantastic for tiring out my legs after my squat working sets, before I move to extensions and curls.
I've been known to use it for ckose grip bench after my working sets in a bench as well
So, you incorporte a smith into your routine, following your heavy work sets with the free barbell?

Maybe if I can work in with her, it could be a good thing, encouraging for her. This is new, so I'm trying to feel it out, the whole aspect of lifting together. Its kind of a touchy subject for some reason.

Reaction score
Top job. Amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do. I have a barbell I did something similar to. Didn't come out as shiny as your machine and the rust did come back after a while. Probably sweat from my hands while training.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Smith deads are my fave back exercise. No glutes and holy fuck the back pump. Just have to do them on a completely vertical Smith, none of that tilted bs.

Reaction score
Smith deads are my fave back exercise. No glutes and holy fuck the back pump. Just have to do them on a completely vertical Smith, none of that tilted bs.
We're in luck then, its a vertical one!

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Nice Job man , I got nothing against them , never really used one much. I know its hard for me to try and squat on one , my old crooked shit just don't move in straight lines any more haahaha,.

Reaction score
Nice Job man , I got nothing against them , never really used one much. I know its hard for me to try and squat on one , my old crooked shit just don't move in straight lines any more haahaha,.
I dont think anyone naturally moves in an exact stright line. Even if they arent old and crooked lol

New Threads