Social Security benefits to jump 5.9% in 2022

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
For all of you retired UG members. Congrats on the raise.

Retired Americans who collect Social Security are about to get the biggest “raise” in 40 years: A 5.9% increase in their monthly payments starting in January.

The biggest increase in the cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security since 1982 is a bit of a double-edged sword, though. It going up so much because U.S. inflation is running at the highest rate in at least a decade or more.

Source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...ncrease-in-41-years-11634129390?mod=home-page

Sityslicker1

Reaction score
Fantastic! Mother gets a very humble SS check every month. Helpfully this 6% boost will help her out.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
I'll take it!!! Better than falling further behind COL.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
Almost more there, hope SS is still around and funded when my time comes!!

Mhenshaw

Elite
Reaction score
I'm first year of Gen X... hoping the Boomers leave a few scraps.

Jonjon

Reaction score
If everything had only increased 5% in cost since the current regime took power that’d be great news

Reaction score
This makes me happy for my mom. Pop left her broke but he made a lot of money in his lifetime. This was good thing because my mother receives a pretty nice SS check. SS will never go anywhere. It will always be there. The thing I worry about is state pensions. Coumo tried this a few years ago, to dip into it with a IOU at the end. Thank god it was not voted in. Both myself and my wife will have state pensions.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
This makes me happy for my mom. Pop left her broke but he made a lot of money in his lifetime. This was good thing because my mother receives a pretty nice SS check. SS will never go anywhere. It will always be there. The thing I worry about is state pensions. Coumo tried this a few years ago, to dip into it with a IOU at the end. Thank god it was not voted in. Both myself and my wife will have state pensions.
My concern is that SS will always be there, but they fukk us over by giving us the defined benefit that we're entitled to, but they change the metrics as to what's included in the COLA adjustments even further.

Sure, we'll get out money, but we'll have less spending power with the same dollar.

Eric Smith

Elite
Reaction score
The sad part and I hate to say this. My parents got notices that the portion they pay for Medicare insurance goes up from 175.00 to 215.00 a month. This taken out before they receive their checks. Seems it always good until health providers take their stabs. Healthcare will say cost of living has gone up. But every year they raise my parents deductible. An open door policy it seems. I don't like making good news bad. It's great news but check with the elderly who can't speak or have no strength to look for better deals. The BS Medicare commercials on tv. ACTING like they have hope? Read the small wording below the broadcast. It's not Medicare Social Security advertising. Seniors don't know this. That's wrong. Seniors are each of our history, (seems no one cares). Will all get there one day. Through the grace of God.

One company a few years ago jumped on the advertising and were offering free back braces. Doctors were asking them if they wanted one (For Free) (JJ WALKER)? "I'm a Senior and it's free hell yea, give me ten". Definitely WRONG! Here's why. They billed Medicare got denied. So they sent bills to Seniors or to their secondary insurance who also denied. People were eventually charged and locked up years later but no punishment to doctors who also benefited.
I'm sorry Munzy. Great post though. Children, Women, Seniors and just plain crooked people I don't care for.
I'm blessed to marry into a family owning pharmacies abroad. Take some of the load off my parents and their friends. I give them free meds no matter what it is. If I can get it they got it. I'm all about giving and giving back to a (down brother). I'm no better then the homeless sleeping over a manhole trying to keep warm not knowing when he will find his next dumpster meal. This could be me or you?

ANOTHER DAY KEEPING IT REAL

Last edited:

Swiper.

Elite
Reaction score

“Two former Social Security officials admit the system is not much different from a Ponzi scheme”

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The sad part and I hate to say this. My parents got notices that the portion they pay for Medicare insurance goes up from 175.00 to 215.00 a month. This taken out before they receive their checks. Seems it always good until health providers take their stabs. Healthcare will say cost of living has gone up. But every year they raise my parents deductible. An open door policy it seems. I don't like making good news bad. It's great news but check with the elderly who can't speak or have no strength to look for better deals. The BS Medicare commercials on tv. ACTING like they have hope? Read the small wording below the broadcast. It's not Medicare Social Security advertising. Seniors don't know this. That's wrong. Seniors are each of our history, (seems no one cares). Will all get there one day. Through the grace of God.

One company a few years ago jumped on the advertising and were offering free back braces. Doctors were asking them if they wanted one (For Free) (JJ WALKER)? "I'm a Senior and it's free hell yea, give me ten". Definitely WRONG! Here's why. They billed Medicare got denied. So they sent bills to Seniors or to their secondary insurance who also denied. People were eventually charged and locked up years later but no punishment to doctors who also benefited.
I'm sorry Munzy. Great post though. Children, Women, Seniors and just plain crooked people I don't care for.
I'm blessed to marry into a family owning pharmacies abroad. Take some of the load off my parents and their friends. I give them free meds no matter what it is. If I can get it they got it. I'm all about giving and giving back to a (down brother). I'm no better then the homeless sleeping over a manhole trying to keep warm not knowing when he will find his next dumpster meal. This could be me or you?

ANOTHER DAY KEEPING IT REAL
Gotta comment on that "health care providers taking their stab". That is BS. It's not healthcare providers taking it's Uncle Sugar taking. 70% of my billing is Medicare (70 of my patients). 25% of my actual income is Medicaire. To give you an idea, Blue Cross pays about the best. For a 1 hour knee scope I get about $400 from BC. A 1 hour Medicare knee scope pays 96 bucks.

Providers do not set the price that they charge. This is done by insurance companies, Medicaire/Medicaid included. Patients will not come to you if you are not in network, insurance companies won't pay, again Medicaire/Madicaid included, and the have set the deductible for out of network ridiculously high. Out of network for me if I need care myself has a $50,000 deductible with BC. So, providers contract with the insurers who set the amount they're gonna get. Ads to that the extra non clinical bullshit that Medicaire maks you do more of each year or they dock you a percentage of the already measly amount they pay you. I can go in, but suffice it to say it's not the providers and kinda getting tired of hearing about greedy docs, especially since it doesn't apply.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Nothing positive about this IMO.

This administration is bleeding money. SS is almost defunded.

Raising SS income is only bleeding my well dry for when it comes time to pay me back for my contribution.

If the criminals in Washington want to impress me, they can start by immediately stopping their payments to illegals from this fund. That is MY money!!

They can also work on decreasing inflation so these poor SS dependent Americans don't have to live in poverty.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Meanwhile in the U.K. we take £20 per week from the poorest family’s

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Meanwhile in the U.K. we take £20 per week from the poorest family’s
Government as a whole sucks. In all of history, the wealthy always manages to control it and the less wealthy is stuck paying for it.

Reaction score
My concern is that SS will always be there, but they fukk us over by giving us the defined benefit that we're entitled to, but they change the metrics as to what's included in the COLA adjustments even further.

Sure, we'll get out money, but we'll have less spending power with the same dollar.
Yes I agree totally.. the older we get the less the value of our hard earned money goes. Fortunately for me I have a state pension and so does my wife so hopefully that will be there. I always thought that state and federal pensions were protected. At this point who knows. It’s all about putting eggs in one basket. This is why we put a lot of money into our investment accounts. We gotta prepare for anything and everything.. another fortunate thing for us is my medical will stay with me after I retire. The way it works for me is, when I retire if I have 1300+ hrs of sick time lined up my health insurance will be little to no cost for me. Then at 65 when Medicare kicks in that will become our insurance with my state insurance secondary. This is why I always say that even though working for the state the pay is alright but the bennys make it worth it.. and not to get on another topic but they just mandated weekly testing for the unvaxed. They did not make it easy to sign up for it and I am assuming g once everyone does sign up it is goi g to be harder to get a test. I lined testing up until the beginning of dec. they have one vendor lined up. We can’t go to our own dr because they won’t count it. That’s because the vendor ( health quest ) will make the money from the state. The thing is why are they not making the ones that are vaxed get tested if they can get it and pass it. It makes no sense. But it is what it is. If they mandate the vaccine I will have to make a long hard decision. ✌️🤙

New Threads