Starvation/Fat Loss

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Here a source from the University of Michigan:

healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/intermittent-fasting-it-right-for-you

"What is the most effective fasting time window?

Fat burning typically begins after approximately 12 hours of fasting and escalates between 16 and 24 hours of fasting. "

I believe when the hunger is completely gone is when nearly 100% of your energy is being taken from fat and muscle tissues.
Take a moment, think logically, and please think of how ridiculous this sounds.

Based upon the statements above, it's only possible to lose fat if one fasts for 12+ hours.

We all know that that isn't true, and almost everyone has lost fat before without fasting. Myself included, and more than likely you as well.

Reaction score
I think you'll probably lose fat and muscle when fasting no matter your body composition, but it'll be far more fat being consumed for energy if you are obese. To CJ's point, your body will try to prioritize its energy conumption source by necessity. You need a certain amount of muscle to maintain the current stresses and demands your body has been acclimated over long periods of time to handle.

Reaction score
Take a moment, think logically, and please think of how ridiculous this sounds.

Based upon the statements above, it's only possible to lose fat if one fasts for 12+ hours.

We all know that that isn't true, and almost everyone has lost fat before without fasting. Myself included, and more than likely you as well.

That's not even close to what the article says. It's specifically talking about fasting as a method for fat loss. It doesn't assert anywhere that it is the only means to achieve fat loss.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That's not even close to what the article says. It's specifically talking about fasting as a method for fat loss. It doesn't assert anywhere that it is the only means to achieve fat loss.
I didn't say it was the only way.

However it did say... Fat burning typically begins after approximately 12 hours of fasting.... which is completely untrue

Reaction score
I think you misunderstand the article, but I posted here in an effort to be helpful, not to argue with anyone, so I'll stop posting now.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand the article, but I posted here in an effort to be helpful, not to argue with anyone, so I'll stop posting now.
I have no issues with the article, except for that one untrue sentence.

Kraken

Reaction score
I think you'll probably lose fat and muscle when fasting no matter your body composition, but it'll be far more fat being consumed for energy if you are obese. To CJ's point, your body will try to prioritize its energy conumption source by necessity. You need a certain amount of muscle to maintain the current stresses and demands your body has been acclimated over long periods of time to handle.

Yes makes sense. The context in which I had those discussions was people who were reasonably lean; amateur athletes. I was also thinking in the context of most people here on this board. If we're talking obese people I can see that.

weightlossburn

Reaction score
Any thoughts on that? I'm not a fan of fasting.
I read that quickly and thought I saw "I'm not a fan of fisting." Then I thought that was such a random thing to say. Glad I read that again carefully 😂