Training half of your body different.

Reaction score
A person I know said he is training left side of his body by lifting heavy weights slowly, and right side by lifting light weights quickly.
He says he does this to specialize halves of his body, so he has both very good dynamic strength on right side, as well as great static strength on left side, because if he did universal training he would not be as good at any of these, but rather balanced.
At first it seems kinda stupid for me, but maybe it makes some sense? And obviously his focus is not on looking good, but for having practical strength. Not sure what to think about it, but it sounds very interesting.
What do you think about it?

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Besides being an interesting experiment, I don't know about that. First, I question if the nerves work that way, as activation starts centrally. Second, the premise is flawed. Create imbalance to balance things out? Why not train bilaterally balanced, working on both static and balanced strength evenly?
Your friend may be a smart dude. But this is the first I've hear of this style (maybe Stallone in Over the Top). I'm going to venture he is not about to revolutionize strength training, and this is not a great long term idea.

Reactions: CJ

Adzg

Reaction score
Sounds like me at 18 just finishing my personal training qualification. “I’m going to change the body building game forever”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Create imbalance to balance things out? Why not train bilaterally balanced, working on both static and balanced strength evenly?
I think you misunderstood me.
because if he did universal training he would not be as good at any of these, but rather balanced.
What I meant here is that if he trained like everyone else, he would have both types of strengths balanced. But that's not what he is doing. His strength is not balanced, but instead it's specialized. For static power in one side, for dynamic in the other.

Basically his point is that if something is good only at one thing, it is better at that thing, than something which is good at many things. He thinks this way he can reach higher static strength, and dynamic strength, than he would otherwise, but each of them only in it's respective side.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Sounds like a version of “chasing your own tail”

I’m no expert but it sounds ridiculous lol.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
It's dumb the way he's going about it. He should build up one trait, then maintain that as best he can while building up the other, then repeat again and again. It's called periodization. It's nothing new, he's just doing it wrong.

What's he's doing will not balance him, and I even question if it's even possible to do what he's trying to do anyway. How would one train half their body hard? You'd need the other side to participate to counterbalance and contribute, or you'd only be able to lift submaximal loads anyway.

Take a guy who can bench 350 lbs. Put a 175 lb DB in one hand only, tell him to press it. Good luck!!! 🤣

Adzg

Reaction score
It's dumb the way he's going about it. He should build up one trait, then maintain that as best he can while building up the other, then repeat again and again. It's called periodization. It's nothing new, he's just doing it wrong.

What's he's doing will not balance him, and I even question if it's even possible to do what he's trying to do anyway. How would one train half their body hard? You'd need the other side to participate to counterbalance and contribute, or you'd only be able to lift submaximal loads anyway.

Take a guy who can bench 350 lbs. Put a 175 lb DB in one hand only, tell him to press it. Good luck!!!

Better get out the sex swing attachments. Throw in the gimp mask for funsies

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Better get out the sex swing attachments. Throw in the gimp mask for funsies

All ready to rock!!! 🤗

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I'm gone for 1 day... and this is what I come back to?

I'm going to nope the f' back out of here... Because I just can't deal with this level of ridiculousness right now 😂.

sfw509

Reaction score
I am curious as to why this person needs a "static strength" side and a " dynamic strength " side? Creating an intentional imbalance seems counter intuitive to everything I know about training (which I will admit is not much).

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
You may have not realized that the dude has an injury on one side of the body and is training light weight on that side to minimize atrophy.
That's the only reason this makes sense imo.
Weightlifting techniques that are tried and true have been around for a looong time and this is definitely not one of then.
Plenty of people trying to reinvent the wheel these days you just have to nod and walk away...

Reactions: CJ

Adzg

Reaction score
Having an imbalance like that will lead to injuries eventually.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
The funny thing is most humans are already imbalanced, hence the reason for doing unilateral work.
What the ops "friend" told him literally makes no fukking sense whatsoever.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Mayyyyyyyybe if it were Upper/Lower, but Left vs Right is a waste of time at best, foolish at worst.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Mayyyyyyyybe if it were Upper/Lower, but Left vs Right is a waste of time at best, foolish at worst.
When I came into this thread that's what I thought it was gonna be about

Reaction score
You may have not realized that the dude has an injury on one side of the body and is training light weight on that side to minimize atrophy.

Weightlifting techniques that are tried and true have been around for a looong time and this is definitely not one of then.
Plenty of people trying to reinvent the wheel these days you just have to nod and walk away...
He doesn't have an injury. And he is not trying to reinvent the wheel. He just has different goals than most, that's why he is doing this different.

That's what I thought at first too, but on the other hand have you ever heard of any world class sprinter, who is a world class marathoner as well? I don't think there ever was such a person. If you are jack of all trades you are master of none. And he just decided his left arm will be master of one trade, and the other of the second one, instead of both being jacks of all trades.
He wants to have such strength as far as I know for everyday use, and for fighting as well.
So obviously this wouldn't make sense for most people, but for some maybe?

He should build up one trait, then maintain that as best he can while building up the other, then repeat again and again. It's called periodization. It's nothing new, he's just doing it wrong.
But by training only one trait on one side, and second on the other he will be better at it, on respective sides, right?

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Let's conclude this thread in saying your "friend" is a dumbass.

/thread.

New Threads