Trying to learn how to sumo DL , How bad is it ?

Reaction score
Well said
I definitely find myself missing pulls that I should have gotten because I got too quick or didnt think enough about stuff like pulling the weight out of the bar before my lift.. or something as simple as hip activation.

With conventional, I could just lift, was easier to think about.

But the numbers are worth it lol

The timing of locking my knees out on max or near max is what used to get me. End up in an impossible lockout situation. That and I'm too violent off the floor instead of patiently breaking the bar from the floor. Maybe now that I'm weak again I can unlearn some of that when I build back up.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Powerlifting is a lot of fun. I got back into lifting in my late 20's and early 30's and ended up going right into powerlifting. There was an older powerlifter at my gym that told me I was a natural deadlifter and I ended up lifting with him and doing my first meet soon after in early 2015. Have done five more since then. No meets this year unfortunately due to multiple injuries.

When you get more comfortable with the lift post videos of your heavier sets. You can kind of power through all kinds of sticking points and a bad setup with light weight. Sumo is very technical. It's a lot harder to power through a mistake than conventional is on a max effort lift.
Oh right on man thats cool , sorry to hear ya got banged up. The wife is my camera hook up i'll work up a solid set and see how much she can get on her phone for me to post up. Got my first weight set I was 12 and a copy of vince girondas unleashing the wild physique , most of my lifting has revolved around half ass bb as a kid , and lifting for shot disc and hammer or football. Always liked deadlifting and squatting and trying to lift as much as I could but never really dedicated what I was doing just to powerlifting until recently. The stroke put a big kink and pause in that whole process but I'm back at it finally.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Oh right on I can set up some thing like that or I was going to build a bridge out of 6x6 and stand on that , this is nicer and keeps my fat ass out of the rain !
Yup, I just set one end on the safety pop a 45 on it. Set j hook on other side load up plates. I just use the blocks i made for block pulls to stand on. Use an old shitty belt and dome chain.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
Here is my ghetto belt squat set up as Perrin mentioned. It and Adductor work has done wonders for my sumo.

View attachment 14753

Love that setup
was a game changer when you showed me lol
The timing of locking my knees out on max or near max is what used to get me. End up in an impossible lockout situation. That and I'm too violent off the floor instead of patiently breaking the bar from the floor. Maybe now that I'm weak again I can unlearn some of that when I build back up.

I'm pretty similar with that tendancy to get violent off the floor.
I could afford yo do that with Conventional
But with Sumo, it's taken a lot of work to try to pull the weight out of the bar until there is around 10lbs left, then let it rip.
I'm still learning so sometimes I would surprise myself and oull it with ease when I get it perfect

Other times I'd leave too much weight and get a bad lift, or even worse, accidentally lift it up when I misjudged my strength and the weight.

Sumo is hard lol, but some guys make it look too easy.... I'm including you here lol

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Love that setup
was a game changer when you showed me lol

I'm pretty similar with that tendancy to get violent off the floor.
I could afford yo do that with Conventional
But with Sumo, it's taken a lot of work to try to pull the weight out of the bar until there is around 10lbs left, then let it rip.
I'm still learning so sometimes I would surprise myself and oull it with ease when I get it perfect

Other times I'd leave too much weight and get a bad lift, or even worse, accidentally lift it up when I misjudged my strength and the weight.

Sumo is hard lol, but some guys make it look too easy.... I'm including you here lol
I always thought it was going to be easier than conventional , but it sure isn't. An my hook grip is weak as shit , first thing I noticed after changing to it from my usual over under , had no clue the bar was going to try to spin around me like we were dancing lol. This is a lot more technical than my usual cave man grab and growl. I really appreciate all the help and tips and advice from every one , this is great.

dirtys1x

Reaction score
I would try messing around with varying degrees of foot placement. Try a wider stance so you don’t have to load so low. Someone else here mentioned that you seem to be too squatted. Also, it’s really hard to critique form with 135. Form isn’t going to break unless you’re deep into your working sets. Would be better to see it with more weight on the bar.

dirtys1x

Reaction score
I always thought it was going to be easier than conventional , but it sure isn't. An my hook grip is weak as shit , first thing I noticed after changing to it from my usual over under , had no clue the bar was going to try to spin around me like we were dancing lol. This is a lot more technical than my usual cave man grab and growl. I really appreciate all the help and tips and advice from every one , this is great.
Nah. A lot of people think this. You just have to side with your mechanical advantages. Just different types of leverages. I’m strictly a conventional puller for those exact same reasons

Actually, the worlds strongest deadlifters mostly pull conventional.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I always mixed up conventional and sumo when I was really into power lifting just to have variety when deadlifting. The one thing about sumo is if I can get the weight off of the floor, I can usually complete the lift. With conventional, I can get stuck at the two inches off the floor point and the weights will move no more. IMHO, they are similar yet completely different lifts.

New Threads