What is your "why" for lifting?

Reaction score
So when did you decide lifting was for you, Whether for strength or aesthetics. when did you know this was your thing? what was your "i can get into this!" moment?

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
High school weight training class.. I was absolutely one of, if not THE skinniest kid in my grade and I still liked it and made a lot of effort. I remember putting out maximum effort on lifts even though I was far weaker than most of the kids. The instructor said "now that's a max" and it always kind of stuck with me.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I think the reason I started in the very beginning as because I was smaller than my peers as a teenager. Then when I started, I really enjoyed seeing progress and the feeling of having a pump and the sense of accomplishment after a good session. Now it’s pretty much engrained into me and I’d feel shit mentally/lazy if I didn’t train for a long period of time. I just enjoy training and the physique is a byproduct of doing something I love doing.

Thebiggestdumbass

Captain Dumbass 🦸
Reaction score
I was tired of being the guy people could fuck with because he was skinny and young. Jail was thought At 6’ 155 lbs. people treat young men like naive women when there scrawny like that.

Why do I keep lifting? Pushing myself in the gym translates to pushing myself outside of the gym. If I can go lift 2x my body weight I can do anything I want as long as I push myself and stay consistent

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Always been stronger than most of my family , grew up thick as fuck. Carrying brick n blocks , bags of cement shit like that. Dad and Uncles used to lift in the garage when we were kids brothers n I used to go out with them and lift and we had our own concrete weights.

First time I deadlifted was 8th grade , we used to have to go to the high school for band practice ,, yeah I was a band geek.

Watching the football players working out and I asked If I could try it , they kind of laughed and said something like ,, kid thats 300lbs , go ahead n try if you want to

I walked over picked it up , turned to them still holding it and asked them , now what ?

Dude was like put it down put it down ,, they looked at each other back at me , and the coach asked ,, have you ever thought about playing football ?

Reaction score
I first started lifting when I played football back in middle school. At first I didn’t like it at all but the more I did it. The more it grew on me. My turning point was when I hit my highest squat max and I could see how far I had come. I came to love weightlifting from then on.

Sadly when I got back from after military training. I let myself go and stopped going. I hit a point if weighing 260 lbs and people making smart remarks about my weight before I started going again. This time. I fell back back in love seeing my body change and for the first time in my life. Seeing less than 200 lbs on the scale.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Was as a youth back in the SAF. Did Thai boxing, instructor introduced us to resistance training. Limited options, but it clicked with me.

When my Mum brought us to the US, it seemed there were gyms everywhere. I kept with the Thai and fell in love with the mental health benefits of lifting. No better way to work off stress & agro then 3 rounds hard sparring and some deadlifts. I learned about PL in me early 20s and loved the self-competition aspect of it. Couple-three decades later and I never left. Less 1rm these days, trying to be kinder to me joints but still bring the ruckus in training. The gym is my sanctuary.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
I have a lot of Why’s, but I’ve noticed mental health seems to be at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. The attention is nice, the admiration is nice, the gym got me through addiction, heartbreak, and loneliness. At the end of the day there is something contemplative about lifting weights. It makes men better.

IronSoul

Elite
Reaction score
Was as a youth back in the SAF. Did Thai boxing, instructor introduced us to resistance training. Limited options, but it clicked with me.

When my Mum brought us to the US, it seemed there were gyms everywhere. I kept with the Thai and fell in love with the mental health benefits of lifting. No better way to work off stress & agro then 3 rounds hard sparring and some deadlifts. I learned about PL in me early 20s and loved the self-competition aspect of it. Couple-three decades later and I never left. Less 1rm these days, trying to be kinder to me joints but still bring the ruckus in training. The gym is my sanctuary.

I didn’t realize you were here. I thought you had went back to the motherland. Have you stayed here since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crido887

Reaction score
1.I don't want to be fat

2. Prior to my herniated disc and pec tear, it was strength

3.then after TRT it felt good to just exercise

4.Then after extra AAS I want to get bigger and look good(aesthetic)

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
I got back into lifting after a 10 year hiatus that included a depraving heroin and meth addiction. I always liked the attention it got me in high school, to be known as the big strong guy who played multiple sports. Eventually I found the same satisfaction that fed my ego in the recovery community. Originally it was for aesthetics. Fucked a bunch of recovery whores. Then I developed an obsession with getting stronger, and the attention that got me. Now strength training envelopes a huge chunk of my life and I couldn't be happier. It's still mostly to inflate my ego. I don't post on social media as much, but the recognition and awe that I get from others when I do post snippets of my strongman competitions is enough to give me that nice release of dopamine. Idk man I just fuckin love it basically. I love the process, I love the research, I love the challenges. Everything. Oh and I love that I can now do drugs again that far improve my quality of life at the moment rather than wind up with me being homeless.

Trenbolonely

Reaction score
I used to compete in combat sports, but after I got married & decided to start a family that was too time consuming, and I often got injured, so i tried bodybuilding instead. Instead of 2-4 hours a day at certain times, and being kind of shut in just training and sleeping for camps, having more recovery days and flexible schedule was great. I didn’t know if I was going to like it, but it was really enjoyable and it allowed me to still do a sport seriously without being too intrusive on my personal life. I need to do physical exercise seriously and set performance goals for mental health but I need time with my family. Only drawback is that i do believe steroids are a necessary part of bodybuilding so I was healthier doing other sport without PEDs.

crido887

Reaction score
I used to compete in combat sports, but after I got married & decided to start a family that was too time consuming, and I often got injured, so i tried bodybuilding instead. Instead of 2-4 hours a day at certain times, and being kind of shut in just training and sleeping for camps, having more recovery days and flexible schedule was great. I didn’t know if I was going to like it, but it was really enjoyable and it allowed me to still do a sport seriously without being too intrusive on my personal life. I need to do physical exercise seriously and set performance goals for mental health but I need time with my family. Only drawback is that i do believe steroids are a necessary part of bodybuilding so I was healthier doing other sport without PEDs.
Slowww

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My parents said I was born with invisible lat syndrome and a mullet. I was feral, destructive, child. In the few pictures of me as a kid, I was a near naked, mouth breathing, blurry shadow figure because I wouldn't stand still for the picture.

To save the house and neighborhood from mass destruction, I was given a weight bench and those sand filled weights.

I only became a more formidable enemy.

Bomb10shell

Lady Member
Reaction score
For me it started because I couldn't function as a new mom and couldn't play with my kid. I was so over weight and unhealthy. I did some math, estimated how long it would take for me to cut the weight, and signed up for a bodybuilding show. It was absolutely terrifying to me to be nearly naked in front of hundreds of people if I was fat, so I got my ass to work.

I'm not really sure when I truly fell in love with it, it was a gradual courtship that turned into full on love. I spent the year cutting, working my ass off, keeping the fork out of my face, trying to lift heavy shit, and learning every possibly thing I could about the science of muscle and nutrition.

My first coach nearly ruined my new love of lifting because of his fucked up ways. But on the verge of giving up, I found a new coach. One who actually gave a shit and knew what she was talking about. I was nervous as fuck going into my first show but she laid it out so perfectly for me that the only way I could have fucked it up was if I didn't listen to the plan. Follow instructions, have success.

The second I did my walk to the box, I was fucking hooked. I knew I would only be able to stop if I was at the top, broke something important, or died. Those 15 seconds on stage were unlike anything else I've ever experienced. Getting that medal was unlike anything I've ever known. It was cool to have people proud of me for once in my life, but bigger than that was i was fucking proud of myself. I set a bigger than life (at the time) goal for myself, I did the work, I completed the goal.

Now there's a new goal and I'm not fucking stopping until I'm on top.

Butch_C

Pony Boy
Reaction score
I started because I was fat as f#$& and was declining in health. I had to keep adding medications to keep my BP and hr in range. I had a 3 year old son that was going to grow up without a father if I didn't change. Once I dropped the weight and got stronger, I didn't want to go backwards. I changed my goals a bit once I reached an ideal weight. I discovered I really liked lifting heavy so I started training like a powerlifter 3 days and like a bodybuilder 3 days. I guess they call it powerbuilding. I met a big guy at the gym and became friends. He taught me a bunch and since we have added 2 more to the group and we all just really enjoy lifting. We are all older so we are not hyper focused on a certain goal but more or less keeping the stupid old man strength and putting the youngins to shame. Lol

hard_gains

Reaction score
Starting out it was my enormous ego in my younger days. Always liked the gym since highschool but drugs and alcohol trumped that for a very long time. I was still working out but it was just showing up and half assed everything. Food, training, and pretty much everything came second because I couldn't stand being sober.

Sobering up I needed a new focus. And I already had some small love for the gym. So I jumped into that. Never wanted to jump on stage or pick up a car but I wanted to look and feel good about myself for once.

Looking back and wondering why I was always fucked up is because I fucking hated myself. (I'm sure there are some childhood issues here somewhere😏) So i figured if I could waste 15 years trying to indirectly kill myself. There is no reason I can't invest myself into this.

New Threads