Why knees are cracking

Roxie000

Lady Member
Reaction score
I'm really annoyed... lately my knees are cracking or my right shoulder when i do shoulder workouts or chest day...

Is this part of getting old or am I doing something wrong? I try so hard to go heavy on leg day.. I do leg day every other day and the rule is to squat before doing quads or hamstrings... I always have to squat so I get used to heavier weight . But I dont know if this is affecting my knees :( is not just the cracking , I sometimes feel pain when working out

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Not sure if it is the same thing or not but I used to get popping with mild pain in my knees when doing leg extensions. Now they don't do it anymore. For myself it seemed like my ligaments or tendons were struggling to adapt to a movement they were not used to. So for quite a while I quit doing leg extensions and just did bb squats and db split squats for my quads. Now I just recently started doing leg extensions again, no pop and no pain.

If you are doing legs every other day they might not be getting a chance to recover or adapt. Muscles can take as long as 72 hours to fully recover. Those who are younger or in better shape may be able to recover quicker. Not sure how old you are but I am 49.

Shoulders for me were similar with lateral raises. Once my shoulders got stronger and used to different lifts at different angles, I no longer had the shoulder pop/pain issue.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Once I hit my thirties everything started to snap crackle and pop.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you feel pain doing anything, stop doing that. Something isn't right. Find an alternative exercise.

And why the "rule" to squat before other exercises? The other exercises could get your joints nice and warmed up, so they don't crack when squatting. I no longer perform squats first myself.

Reactions: Jin

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You should hear Snake get up off the couch. Sounds like someone squeezed a bag of chips. :32 (18):

Reactions: CJ

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This could be a sign of inflammation around the joints. Take an anti inflammatory. Also, I would suggest you incorporate some stretching exercises.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh and after warming up, I always squat 1st. Never a problem. Preventive maintenance, is an important part of longevity in this lifestyle. It's not just lifting weights. What you do before and after the gym, is what lowers your chances greatly from injury in the gym.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I always get crackling in my knees when getting up if im laying on the carpet. Im 17, so I hope I dont have the body of a middle aged man :32 (18):

It doesnt matter if its after leg day, it happens all the time. Sounds like a tree falling down. But popping is never good, or any pain with it.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You should hear Snake get up off the couch. Sounds like someone squeezed a bag of chips. :32 (18):

Not a true statement, sometimes I can't get off the couch without someone helping me.

If you feel pain doing anything, stop doing that. Something isn't right. Find an alternative exercise.

And why the "rule" to squat before other exercises? The other exercises could get your joints nice and warmed up, so they don't crack when squatting. I no longer perform squats first myself.

I agree with ya CJ on stopping if there is pain but I don't think her problem is the squat, it's how often and at the intensity she's doing it at. Doing legs EOD is just going to lead to problems in short order. I got $10 that says the shoulder problems are also directly linked to over training.

Oh and after warming up, I always squat 1st. Never a problem. Preventive maintenance, is an important part of longevity in this lifestyle. It's not just lifting weights. What you do before and after the gym, is what lowers your chances greatly from injury in the gym.
99% of my leg training I have ever done started with squats with little to no issues. In the last several years I have been stretching more, a lot more. I stretch 30 min a day, use voodoo bands another 5 min and spend 5 more min on an inversion table. Safe to say my preventive maintenance time is outside what the average person is willing to do but to grow long in the tooth at this, you need to do it.

Roxie, you need to do more and do less. More stretching every day and less leg work. In the end, the time will balance out and you will be better for it. Just don't expect this to happen in a few week. If for some reason you feel serious pain, a MRI may be in order to rule out some other form of damage.

Reactions: DF

Roxie000

Lady Member
Reaction score
IT wont let me upload pictures on here but yeah I been doing a new exercise and thats when I felt my left knee trying to pop out of the socket... I recently joined a new gym that has a bunch of new equipment I been trying it out... I do squats before other exercises because I heard Is better to get that first out of the way since it takes a lot of energy . Maybe I shouldn't listen to people , I dont know. But any who , ever since that incident I feel my left knee is sometimes hurting but thats only when I exercise. I been trying to avoid leg press until it gets better. I'm 33 years old , I stretch a little bit before my workout ( even tho science proved u dont have to )... and I have to admit after working out I dont really stretch either.

Roxie000

Lady Member
Reaction score
I used that new machine and I didn't know the importance of not moving ur back while performing the exercise..It only took one little move and boom! messed up knee

Reaction score
My knees and ankles have popped since as far back as I can remember. My legs don’t hurt or anything... my knees always have made a sound, warm up or not, heavy or not, doesn’t matter. Pop pop pop with every move. I don’t pay attention to it anymore.
big difference when there’s no pain involved, I believe. If it’s painful or even discomforting, stop it.
try some bpc157 or Tb500. Peptides. I’ve been doing a lot of homework on these lately and I can’t say I’ve done it, but it’s on the way.
I’ll log that journey on the site.

New Threads