Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you do it or let your body rest?

(home workout obviously)

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Depends on how sick, if running a fever I skip working out. I figure if I'm running a fever my body is fighting to get better, no sense in adding more stress to the fight.

Reaction score
Depends on how bad the symptoms are. I get a lot of minor sinus issues that come up and I work through them.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses.Spent today In bed and slept. Hard to accept, but felt it would have been non-productive at best; counter productive at worst.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Depends on how sick, like stated above. I have been in the gym for 30 years. I don't get that fear that Ill lose gains if I miss a day or even a week if I don't feel right anymore.

Something like a headache won't stop me from working out with the exception of leg day lol. I've worked out with allergies that made me tear up the whole workout and snot pouring out of my sniffer. No go on stomach issues AKA "the shits". If I am running a fever or have any type of body aches, I am out until I feel back to normal for a day then I go back the next day.

Sounds like you knew exactly what to do, sleep. Rest is best.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
It's more beneficial to take a day or two off, even when feeling drained or tired from work, just everyday life it's good to just take off!!

andy

Elite
Reaction score
50% of the typical volume. but yes, I feel much better after a workout and my health is getting better. though i don't remember when I was ill last time.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Depends on the training session and what exactly "sick" means. I'm really down and out, I'll take the day off.

Skullcrusher

Reaction score
Only if I am so sick that my arms and legs are falling off.

Seriously though, I would have to be really damn sick to miss a day of lifting.

Love it too much.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
If the body can still workout, I think it's better to move than to feel really sick.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bumping an older thread. Been sick for 5 days now. No gym. Tried to go to work one day then felt worse after. Still gotta take care of my kids and the household but man this sucks. Especially in the middle of the summer. Just can’t kick this headache, sinusitis, sore throat, cough and fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The college days are long gone, where I'd pop two Contacs and declare myself cured from a cold. Even with a cold it's considered by some to be a strain on your heart to work out. Then we have the "above the neck--below the neck" advice. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20058494If it's just a cold, better to eat pizza and drink beer to cheer yourself up, despise yourself later, and use it as motivation. Lol

OldeBull1

Reaction score
It really depends, and you are the only one who can judge. If you don't feel like it, then don't, and it is not 'wussing out', it is using your head.
Now realize there is a difference between 'training' and getting moving. If you are able to, I suggest getting moving. Layer on the sweat suit, get moving, nice and easy, and just sweat; light cardio, %40-50 weight. Nothing hard, just an extended warm up. Breaking a sweat and getting some blood flowing can do wonders for your immune system and state of mind.

An issue we are concerned about now that we didn't think about two years ago is contagion. So if you are leaky (nose, mouth), coughing, or otherwise spreading germs, stay home. At a certain point, it's not about you, and consider others before you bring your nastiness to the gym to share.

Reaction score
Do you do it or let your body rest?

(home workout obviously)
It really depends on the sickness.

As for me, I still do a light workout if I have colds or cough. I do them indoors instead. But if your body is telling you that it can't, then don't push it. You'll benefit more if you just rest.