Would you recommend Mass Gainer for a 14y.o.?

Reaction score
My son plays highly competitive baseball and is on his H.S. JV Team. They have him in advanced weigh training, and he is always eating, but burning calories just standing still.
I've had him taking GNC's 1340 mass gainer, but it's hard to get him to take it daily. I told him to invest in himself now, that when Travel Baseball for him hits in April, he would have gained some muscle. Also he needs to feed his body more calories to have building blocks to grow. Somehow, he doesn't want to listen.

Reaction score
Absolutely not. If he’s going to compete at a high level he needs to get used to following a meal plan and eating whole foods. Not all calories are equal.

Almost everyone I know who used mass gainers just ended up getting fat.
This makes sense, I cook daily for the family and have protein and usually rice and a vegetable. Getting him to eat fruit is another thing. I guess I will continue to let him eat 3 sandwiches in the evening after dinner.

I also cook breakfast for the kids, but it's usually hashbrowns, bacon/sausage/biscuits/eggs. No cereal, and there is always yogurt.

Dnewell2004

Reaction score
The "advance weightlifting" at our school is a joke. Take him with you to the gym and push him. Our 14 year old is the biggest/strongest on the 14u baseball team. He's gained so much strength and size once he started going with us to the gym. I need to get him eating right but it's hard while he's at school. This summer will be huge for him.
996bebf8ab6627c46d97e1cf6df7bb56.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dnewell2004

Reaction score
Could be he's burning more calories than building muscle in the weight training. Schools are scared to push kids anymore. My daughter is also a senior and takes lifting in school. The teacher isn't allowed to do more than show them form. Can't force them to add more weight or do more reps. So my daughter takes it upon herself to push the other girls she lifts with.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This makes sense, I cook daily for the family and have protein and usually rice and a vegetable. Getting him to eat fruit is another thing. I guess I will continue to let him eat 3 sandwiches in the evening after dinner.

I also cook breakfast for the kids, but it's usually hashbrowns, bacon/sausage/biscuits/eggs. No cereal, and there is always yogurt.
This is good.

Teach the kid how to cook.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The "advance weightlifting" at our school is a joke. Take him with you to the gym and push him. Our 14 year old is the biggest/strongest on the 14u baseball team. He's gained so much strength and size once he started going with us to the gym. I need to get him eating right but it's hard while he's at school. This summer will be huge for him.

Whats his diet and lifting like? I need to get my 14 yr old in there as he is skinny as a rail

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. A few of my young started lifting at that age and took protein at the 15 y.o. mark.

People forget these kids are not going to come home and make a fuukin dinner. and forget meal prepping. It's a protein drink or 2 hot pockets.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. A few of my young started lifting at that age and took protein at the 15 y.o. mark.

People forget these kids are not going to come home and make a fuukin dinner. and forget meal prepping. It's a protein drink or 2 hot pockets.
Hahaha 💯 % riggght!!! My kids can live off hot pockets and freakin chicken pot pies hahah

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Take him with you to the gym and push him. Our 14 year old is the biggest/strongest on the 14u baseball team.
Dude, baseball players are not supposed to lift weights let alone heavy. lol

Man times have changed haven't they? That one for the better.

• Haha
Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
Yes I would.

It should worry you if he is eating McDonald's or smoking weed. Mass gainer is not bad like those things.

Reaction score

His advanced weight training class has him on a weekly plan with a group of kids his size and strength. They sell protein shakes and bars after class and he's definitely adding muscle.

He got this for Christmas a few years ago, but I started using it in January.
PXL_20230127_032701530.PANO.jpg

Reaction score
Dude, baseball players are not supposed to lift weights let alone heavy. lol

Man times have changed haven't they? That one for the better.
I live in one of the baseball meccas in the USA. Teams travel to get beat to say they were here.

Dnewell2004

Reaction score
Whats his diet and lifting like? I need to get my 14 yr old in there as he is skinny as a rail
He eats like a typical 14 year old...junk. if we can get that fix he will blow up.

New Threads