The old-school shoulder exercise that was demonized in the weight room

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
@Test_subject @CJ @BigBaldBeardGuy

Please suggest for myself and @LethalAnimal exercises that are better choices than Arnold Press. Thank you.
DB Presses
Barbell Presses
Machine Presses

When you start trying to get cute and combining exercises in an attempt to hit multiple muscles at the same time, like the Arnold Press, often you'll find that spreading the work out among several muscle groups results in none of the muscle groups getting adequate stimulus.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
do those work if you are to -- pick one side delt isolation movement
Yes, I believe that's how most bodybuilders train. They'll do a press variation, then target the side and rear delts with isolation exercises. Some will also do a front delt isolation exercise as well.

I don't recall ever seeing a modern quality bodybuilder doing Arnold Presses in any Youtube training video that I've ever seen.

I've even heard the story that Arnold himself didn't do them, that he created them on the spot when a bunch of media was in the gym, to garner the attention that he seemed to crave by doing something novel they'd never seen before.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
One Arm Barbell Press

• Love
Reactions: CJ

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
@Test_subject @CJ @BigBaldBeardGuy

Please suggest for myself and @LethalAnimal exercises that are better choices than Arnold Press. Thank you.
High incline presses are a good one because they’re a very good “bang-for-your-buck” exercise. They hit your shoulders hard and give you a bit of chest as well.

— DB shoulder press and OHP are probably the best pure anterior delt builders.

— Lateral raises for side delts - do a couple heavy sets then a few drop sets with lighter weight so you cover your bases.

— Rear delts, either facepulls or rear delt flys on the pec dec. Both are excellent.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Im setting up a new split for the next week and realized that Arnold presses could be used it you were limited by equipment. My new gym has spoiled me though and pretty sure Arnold presses would be way down the line for me mainly because I’m a retard and I would more likely hurt myself with em than say….

Standing Military Press
Seated Dumbbell Press
Behind The Back Smith Machine Press
Plate Loaded Shoulder Press
Machine Shoulder Press

So Arnold’s would be my 6th choice I imagine. But most people do not have those luxuries.

Reaction score
you were right this shit killed . Nation Mountain Dog Shoulders

Reaction score
I think I’m going to do some more of this guys workouts for a little while .
I’m 1 week out from jumping back on cycle.
Trying to maximize growth.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
DB Presses
Barbell Presses
Machine Presses

When you start trying to get cute and combining exercises in an attempt to hit multiple muscles at the same time, like the Arnold Press, often you'll find that spreading the work out among several muscle groups results in none of the muscle groups getting adequate stimulus.
This is all more or less what I do.

Granted, my shoulders grow very easily and don't take much work and aren't a priority.

But all the movements that incorporate my shoulders at all are:

Push 1. Tuesday
Rear delt pec deck (super set with pec deck flys mostly just for warmup at start of the session)
Incline dumbbell press
Machine press
Lateral raises (run the rack up to top weight for 6-8, then one gigantic drop set back down the rack, it sucks)

Push 2. Friday
Seated dumbbell OHP
Machine or cable laterals
Dumbbell rear delt raises

New Threads