My push for the Olympia stage

Reaction score

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

I'm only halfway through reading this study(I'm at work), but my thoughts so far..

While I love the scientific method, this study neither supports nor refutes my statement. It simply did not test for that. Also, only 3 subjects were tested, and I haven't looked at individual data, or seen the statistical power of the study with only having 3 subjects.

My statement was that the body will preferentially oxidize excess calories in the form of carbs for energy, and store the dietary fats consumed as bodyfat, because it's more efficient.

This study tested what would happen from a week long period of "massive" overeating of calories and carbs in the absence of fats. This study had only 3% of calories coming from fats during the overfeeding period, thus not effectively testing which macros, carbs or fats, are used for energy vs stored as bodyfat, because there were almost no fats consumed, thus not presenting the body a choice of which/how to utilize. And strenuous activity was not allowed.

It was interesting though, that at the conclusion of the two week study, which included the 7 days of overfeeding, up to an average of 5,000 Cals, with no strenuous activity allowed, that net bodyweight did not change.

Also interesting, under the ENERGY AND NUTRIENT INTAKE section, they noted how carb intake had to be increased daily in order to stay in a calorie surplus, as carbohydrate oxidation increased dramatically, along with a rapid suppression of fats being oxidized.

Does this suggest that the body will preferentially burn carbs for fuel, and not fats? 🤔

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of the best things ever that I can do in the realm of being self-aware is to realize when I'm being a defensive douche nozzle, take a break and think about things, then look at things clearly as they should be.

New Threads