On the struggle bus with some fat and not very happy with myself.

Kraken

Reaction score
I'm old, close to 60 and I hate it. Before Covid, I was doing endurance sports, mostly running and biking. I was also lifting. I have never been a body builder like most of you guys but I was lean and had good muscle. I was ~140 pounds then. I'm 5ft 6in. When Covid hit I was in the Northeast, it was too cold to keep running and the gyms were closed, so no treadmill. It's really easy to fall out of good habits when you're locked out of the gym in a frozen tundra.

A while ago, I didn't get back to running but I got back to the gym for lifting and started having back problems. After an MRI the Dr. told me I have degenerative spine disease, no more squatting. Some guys here gave me some advice around that, but I was afraid of hurting myself so I got lazy and stayed away.

Recently I decided enough is enough, so a few weeks ago I started running again which has been a little hard on my back but doable. I'm going to start lifting again, especially for upper. I'm on TRT so I expect I'll have some success as long as I'm careful.

But this morning the scale came in just under 160 and I hate myself. Not too much hate, but enough. I have been trying to drop that 20 pounds but I am absolutely struggling to keep my mouth shut. I'm hungry in the evenings and end up snacking. Okay, on skinny pop or, not so bad, a protein bar but still snacking. And even when I maintain some control and stay under 1,300 calories a day, that scale is still stubborn.

So I'm looking for an edge. I know all about lifestyle, eating discipline, all that. I expect I'll be able to keep it off once I get rid of it. In the past I once used DNP to get super lean, that was a bunch of years ago and I don't want to do that route again. I see T3 can be a little dangerous. Clen apparently has a bunch of nasty sides. I'm considering Semaglutide. It seems some on UG have reported some success with it.

I would appreciate some comments, and yes I know many will be "just put the fork down." Thanks guys...

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
16 grams of test and 200 var a day IMO.

Joking aside, try eating more fats and lowering your carb intake a bit to compensate. Shift some of your carb intake to before when you do whatever activity it is that you’re doing that day.

Fats are more satiating and will keep you feeling full for longer so you don’t feel the need to snack.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
16 grams of test and 200 var a day IMO.

Joking aside, try eating more fats and lowering your carb intake a bit to compensate. Shift some of your carb intake to before when you do whatever activity it is that you’re doing that day.

Fats are more satiating and will keep you feeling full for longer so you don’t feel the need to snack.
STOP lol, :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
I'm old, close to 60 and I hate it. Before Covid, I was doing endurance sports, mostly running and biking. I was also lifting. I have never been a body builder like most of you guys but I was lean and had good muscle. I was ~140 pounds then. I'm 5ft 6in. When Covid hit I was in the Northeast, it was too cold to keep running and the gyms were closed, so no treadmill. It's really easy to fall out of good habits when you're locked out of the gym in a frozen tundra.

A while ago, I didn't get back to running but I got back to the gym for lifting and started having back problems. After an MRI the Dr. told me I have degenerative spine disease, no more squatting. Some guys here gave me some advice around that, but I was afraid of hurting myself so I got lazy and stayed away.

Recently I decided enough is enough, so a few weeks ago I started running again which has been a little hard on my back but doable. I'm going to start lifting again, especially for upper. I'm on TRT so I expect I'll have some success as long as I'm careful.

But this morning the scale came in just under 160 and I hate myself. Not too much hate, but enough. I have been trying to drop that 20 pounds but I am absolutely struggling to keep my mouth shut. I'm hungry in the evenings and end up snacking. Okay, on skinny pop or, not so bad, a protein bar but still snacking. And even when I maintain some control and stay under 1,300 calories a day, that scale is still stubborn.

So I'm looking for an edge. I know all about lifestyle, eating discipline, all that. I expect I'll be able to keep it off once I get rid of it. In the past I once used DNP to get super lean, that was a bunch of years ago and I don't want to do that route again. I see T3 can be a little dangerous. Clen apparently has a bunch of nasty sides. I'm considering Semaglutide. It seems some on UG have reported some success with it.

I would appreciate some comments, and yes I know many will be "just put the fork down." Thanks guys...
Trying to lighten the mood… Look on the bright side, you’re 5’6” and safe tomorrow!

IMG_4100.jpeg

You might feel bad at 160 lbs but that’s light enough to be thrown pretty good!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I feel you on this but in the opposite direction, you got 5 years on me and at our age change is hard to deal with.

In my powerlifting career I tipped off at 285lb but held 265lb consistently for a long time, today I'm 210 and look like a baseball player rather than a lifter. It's hard for me to deal with I'll be honest about as I feel small but on the other had I feel better and more functional for the sport I do now.

Sometimes we feel off with ourselves with change when we held something different for many years.

You can do something about your situation which is great, I can't no way I'm putting all that back on!

My mindset to help me is knowing I'm still looking like an athlete, actually am and a professional one, I didn't let myself go, I let the muscle go slowly over the course of a few years to get to where I am now.

It's not even the weight that bothers me, it's that strength and extreme muscular look that is gone that bothers me a lot, but sometimes in life we have to make a decision and choose one or the other, I had to let powerlifting go.

For you IMO that edge you are looking for is your mindset, change that and it sounds like you already are. As a professional athlete I know mindset well and how important it is.

We change the way we look at things, as for myself baseball was my 1st love and now with the mindset I look like one again rather than a powerlifter keeps me sane rather than only seeing myself much smaller than I once was.

Reaction score
Bro your 60 years old with a bad back..

This is easy. Stop running
Here is the edge your looking for..

Go to the gym 4 days a week and lift. Do whatever does not hurt your back anymore..

Get of the treadmill and walk, use the bike or even use that elliptical thing…
Burn some extra calories

Bring your calories in a bit.. I k kw it’s hard.
Drop some carbs. I k ow it’s hard.(especially if you’re just a novice in this)

And be happy..
Are you married or have a women.?
Are they happy with the way you look?

Are you healthy at the drs with bloods and bp??

All these things play a role..

So after work go to the gym..
And train. There is your edge.

Kraken

Reaction score
Well lifting is not exactly easy on my lower back, but I don't really know if the issue there is that it has just become weak or the degeneration. I used to life heavy, I'm thinking now I need lighter and more reps. I don't think running is hard on my back; my knees and ankles are fine and I have never had an issue with joints.

My girl thinks I look great, but I need to be satisfied as well. I hate to settle or give in; that's the beginning of a nasty slide. Plenty of people my age are very active and fit, I can be as well.

Kraken

Reaction score
But yeah cutting back carbs is good advice, eating more fat and protein to feel full. The idea of adding fat is hard to wrap my head around but I do understand the logic.

GreatGunz

Elite
Reaction score
Don’t forget a good 6-8 lbs of that weight is water.
I hover around 205 ( where my likes it) but if I drink a gallon of water I will drop 2-3 lbs a day with all the pissing!
No joke this will slow down around 195 and that’s the number I try to get lower .
Head game but worx!

buck

Reaction score
I am a few years older than you with multiple back issues and still lift. Was the Dr. you saw an orthopedic surgeon with a sports medicine background? If you have problems not eating at night save what every calories, you need for that time. when you eat them is far less important them how many you eat. I have always had more calories at night then earlier in the day to keep weight in check. Go with what works.

New Threads