Weigh your protein powder

Reaction score
I'm very loyal to Now brand protien. Used to exclusively get weigh protien isolate, but switched to regular weigh protien because of the price. I love the creamy Dutch chocolate and have been using that for a long time. My last protien purchase was creamy vanilla because it was like $20 less expensive. I also noticed it had more protein per serving. Score! Right?

Well both serving suggestions call for 1/3 cup (43g). I'm pretty sure I've weighed the chocolate before to make sure the 1/3, 43g was true.

Yesterday I wanted a half serving of the vanilla and I was very surprised that 1/3 of vanilla was only 28g. So basically I've been consuming 18g protein less than I thought a day. Ugh.

I then started to think about it and the vanilla seems less dense than the chocolate. The vanilla always puts out a cloud of "smoke" when I put it in my shaker, chocolate never did that.

So yeah always measure new protein powder when trying new flavors, even if it's same, same company.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm very loyal to Now brand protien. Used to exclusively get weigh protien isolate, but switched to regular weigh protien because of the price. I love the creamy Dutch chocolate and have been using that for a long time. My last protien purchase was creamy vanilla because it was like $20 less expensive. I also noticed it had more protein per serving. Score! Right?
No, not if you switched from whey isolate to whey concentrate, it's not. Switch back to isolate.

There's less protein per unit weight in concentrate vs isolate.

In your case, it's 43g vs 28g per serving, so you're getting about 35% less protein per serving.

Reaction score
No, not if you switched from whey isolate to whey concentrate, it's not. Switch back to isolate.

There's less protein per unit weight in concentrate vs isolate.

In your case, it's 43g vs 28g per serving, so you're getting about 35% less protein per serving.
Sorry I meant Now weigh protein Dutch chocolate had 24g per serving and Now weigh protien creamy vanilla has 26g per serving. Both are consentrate.

Reaction score
But yeah, I'll just buck up and spend the extra cash on isolate.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Why are you acting like this is a surprise or some kind of epiphany! You're drinking whey concentrate; why h has higher fat and carbs content compared of isolate. What did you expect your macros to be? 🙄🤦‍♂️

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Sorry I meant Now weigh protein Dutch chocolate had 24g per serving and Now weigh protien creamy vanilla has 26g per serving. Both are consentrate.
so you're upset about a 2g difference?

FFS, you'd be better off taking your energy and focusing on something else. That 2g difference doesn't matter at all.

If that 2g is going to make or break you then, then you have other problems with your diet you should be addressing instead.

Reaction score
Jesus really ruffling some feathers here. I'm not mad, I just found it misleading that the serving size says 1/3 cup 42g. When in reality 1/3 cup is 28g. Folks count macros like myself and I try to be as accurate as possible. Just thought this info could be helpful for those like me. Which apparently I'm in the minority. I'll see myself out.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jesus really ruffling some feathers here. I'm not mad, I just found it misleading that the serving size says 1/3 cup 42g. When in reality 1/3 cup is 28g. Folks count macros like myself and I try to be as accurate as possible. Just thought this info could be helpful for those like me. Which apparently I'm in the minority. I'll see myself out.
Do yourself a favor and just assume that the rest of the nutritional info on packaging is 100% correct.

(almost none of it is)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
As stated in the post above this one by @TODAY, nutritional labels are allowed to be up to 25% off, if I recall correctly.

One reason why trying to eat precise macros is impossible. Also another reason to eat whole foods, as opposed to processed foods. Although counting exact macros on whole foods is almost impossible, as well. It's just not as far off as packaged foods nutrition labels.

*the FDA allows inaccuracy up to 20%, i just checked. "how compliance code works" is the pertinent section...

Last edited:

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
you're not ruffling feathers.. we're saying you're over complicating this for absolutely zero benefit. Even people like Hadi Choopan, Derek Lunsford, etc don't nit pick like you do.

What you posted was not helpful in the least. Your math isn't even mathing. You act like no one here is counting macros but you. 🙄

New Threads