Cardio for fat loss - zone 2 or 3?

Kraken

Reaction score
If I ride my bike at a slow to moderate pace for 45 minutes I'll be at the top of zone 2 and the bottom of zone 3 and burn 120 calories. If I run at a 10:00 pace for 35 minutes (a 5k) I will be in zone 3 and 4 and burn 320 calories.

So what's really better for fat loss, 120 calories in zone 2/3 or 320 in zone 3/4?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If I ride my bike at a slow to moderate pace for 45 minutes I'll be at the top of zone 2 and the bottom of zone 3 and burn 120 calories. If I run at a 10:00 pace for 35 minutes (a 5k) I will be in zone 3 and 4 and burn 320 calories.

So what's really better for fat loss, 120 calories in zone 2/3 or 320 in zone 3/4?

Think a layer deeper.

Zones 3+4 can cause additional hunger, and possibly subpar training due to the added fatigue. Could also beat up the joints a bit. And that added fatigue could also unknowingly cause you to do less during the rest of the day.

Not saying that it's bad, just that there's more that goes into it.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
what are you using to monitor heart rate to determine what zone you're in?

Kraken

Reaction score
Think a layer deeper.

Zones 3+4 can cause additional hunger, and possibly subpar training due to the added fatigue. Could also beat up the joints a bit. And that added fatigue could also unknowingly cause you to do less during the rest of the day.

Not saying that it's bad, just that there's more that goes into it.

Makes sense. As for the zone 2 cardio, is it even worth the time?

andy

Elite
Reaction score
first of all.

cardio zone, calories burned - forget these nr.

I need your HR at a fat burning zone, steady for 30-45min and I dont care if u shovel the snow for 45min to reach and keep that HR.

whats a fat burning HR zone would be -

220 - (your age) = your max heart rate
then 65-75% of your max hart rate would be the optimal nr. for burning fat.

ps IF you do fasted cardio (wich is cardio first thing morning on empty stomach) - the fat WILL melt.

then again . if u dont get the food straight u can throw it all out the garbadge lol

andy

Elite
Reaction score
So , yeah

I'd be more interested in your stats ATM and how many calories u eating including your macros.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Makes sense. As for the zone 2 cardio, is it even worth the time?

Cardio is just a tool to use in the calories in vs calories out, equation.

Taking the health aspect out of it, no cardio is needed at all for body composition goals. Could it be the proper tool? Yes. Is it always needed? No.

I personally prefer the 60%-75% max HR zone that @andy mentioned above, but it all comes down to what you'll actually do, and overall. Cals in vs Cals out.

Kraken

Reaction score
first of all.

cardio zone, calories burned - forget these nr.

I need your HR at a fat burning zone, steady for 30-45min and I dont care if u shovel the snow for 45min to reach and keep that HR.

whats a fat burning HR zone would be -

220 - (your age) = your max heart rate
then 65-75% of your max hart rate would be the optimal nr. for burning fat.

ps IF you do fasted cardio (wich is cardio first thing morning on empty stomach) - the fat WILL melt.

then again . if u dont get the food straight u can throw it all out the garbadge lol

Yeah I'm familiar with the max HR formula. My Garmin watch can measure it and it says 165bpm. I didn't realize the fasted cardio part, thanks for that!

Macros:

Protein: 700 cal (175g)
Carb: 800 cal (200g)
Fat: 600 cal (67g)

Total cal: 2,100

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Yeah I'm familiar with the max HR formula. My Garmin watch can measure it and it says 165bpm. I didn't realize the fasted cardio part, thanks for that!

Macros:

Your getting calories burned from what is being reported in Garmin Connect?

I ask because I stay in top of zone 2 to top of zone 3, and I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes by fast walking or slow jogging at max incline. I use the strap to get my heart rate... never the watch as its not nearly as accurate. That's much more than what you're getting for your zone2/zone3

Kraken

Reaction score
Your getting calories burned from what is being reported in Garmin Connect?

I ask because I stay in top of zone 2 to top of zone 3, and I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes by fast walking or slow jogging at max incline. I use the strap to get my heart rate... never the watch as its not nearly as accurate. That's much more than what you're getting for your zone2/zone3

Yes the only way I track calories burned is with the Garmin watch. But wouldn't the calorie burn for any given activity depend upon my physical fitness, weight and age? I'm 145 pounds and old. I'm guessing you're bigger and younger?

But what you reported does not seem all that different... About 35 minutes running at a 10 minute per mile pace is about 320 calories all in zone 3 and 4. Bike riding not super fast for 40 minutes was 120, art the top of 2 and bottom of 3.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes the only way I track calories burned is with the Garmin watch. But wouldn't the calorie burn for any given activity depend upon my physical fitness, weight and age? I'm 145 pounds and old. I'm guessing you're bigger and younger?

But what you reported does not seem all that different... About 35 minutes running at a 10 minute per mile pace is about 320 calories all in zone 3 and 4. Bike riding not super fast for 40 minutes was 120, art the top of 2 and bottom of 3.

Whatever calories these devices, and others, spit out is not accurate. Do not use those numbers to match/offset calories eaten.

Use them as a base to gauge more or less activity, nothing more.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Use them as a base to gauge more or less activity, nothing more.
that's exactly how I use them. To gauge how much of a lazy fuck I've been all day, and push myself to increase my activity level.

For the calories burned, I assume it's calculated bullshit... but it's consistent calculated bullshit. I use this to gauge how hard I worked in a cardio session in general.

The calories shown in the app/watch play no factor in my diet. The scale, mirror, and goals drive that.

buck

Reaction score
When figuring how many more calories i burned from the cardio. I subtract the amount i would have burned just sitting on my butt that whole time to find how much extra i really burned.

andy

Elite
Reaction score

Macros:

just play with your carbs a bit and see how your body changes on lower carb days add more protein so your calories wont change so much

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I don't do cardio to burn fat , I do cardio for cardio as odd as that sounds LOL mid 50s recovered alcoholic heroin addict 3 packs a day of lucky strikes and at one point i weighed over 300lbs , now I run gear in some amounts that would make beef steer give you the hairy eyeball ...

The cardio is just to let my heart know I don't hate it any more.

New Threads