Fighting High Blood pressure

Reaction score
I keep trying to get my blood pressure in the 120s, but I can't do it. It is usually in the mid-140s/ low 80s. Sometimes 130s. I check it daily in my office. I am 6ft tall and 205 lbs. I exercise daily, eat low-carb, and take 125mg/week. My doctor even prescribed me 20mg of lisinopril. Unfortunately, due to an injury, I can't run. I have to do only low-impact cardio (stairs, bike, power walk on an incline, etc.)

Other than dropping body fat (currently at 20% according to an eclectic scale), going vegetarian, or coming off of TRT, I don't know what to do. I see my doctor in mid-February for a complete panel check-up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
I think it took it down by 15 to 20 points.

And I also donate blood every eight weeks.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
1. Talk to your doctor again.
2. Do more cardio, low impact is fine.
3. Lose body fat, it will help.
4. Lower your TRT dosage slightly. If you're taking 150mg/week then reduce to 120mg and see if it makes a difference.
5. What does your diet look like?
6. Can you post your blood work, including CMP, CBC, and hormone panels.

Reaction score
was your blood pressure always in range before getting on TRT?
Unfortunately, I never got it tested until well after I got on TRT. I can try to look at previous readings from my PCP and TRT doc when i get home tonight. I do have a history of high blood pressure in my family (uncles and Aunts) but they are really unhealthy.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You maybe taking your blood pressure incorrectly, have a professional take it and compare. Make sure you are seated for a few minutes, using left arm and elevated.

Reaction score
1. Talk to your doctor again.
2. Do more cardio, low impact is fine.
3. Lose body fat, it will help.
4. Lower your TRT dosage slightly. If you're taking 150mg/week then reduce to 120mg and see if it makes a difference.
5. What does your diet look like?
6. Can you post your blood work, including CMP, CBC, and hormone panels.
Thanks.
5. My diet is mainly lots of eggs, chicken, and tuna. I eat fruits and veggies occasionally. The one killer of my diet is eating out for work meals, dates, buddies getting together, and kids' stuff, which seems to be happening more often than I like.
6. I can post them when I get home later tonight.

Reaction score
You must have some sense of accomplishment in dropping that systolic from a high of 174. There isn't much I see from your statements here that point to anything you could be doing to worsen the situation. Don't consider going vegan. Attempting to combine the incomplete proteins into complete proteins required for muscle growth? You need a degree from M.I.T.
You're perhaps predisposed to slightly elevated numbers due to family history. Mine is around 140/80 on a calcium channel blocker. I have a job that requires 72-80 hours per week and aggravates the shit out of me. You are not alone.

Reactions: A1c

buck

Reaction score
What is your pressure like in the mornings or the weekend. I find simple controlled breathing for a few minutes done regularly can make a noticeable difference. Cleaning up your diet couldn't hurt. It may be more then 1 factor leading to your higher numbers.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I spoke with my doctor, and we discussed current and prior readings. The bottom line is- I needed to measure myself correctly.

My doctor explained that measuring myself after I had worked out, taken a hot shot, and used a pre-work substance could throw off the readings. She also recommended I take my measurements with my arm straight and my elbow at heart level.

I usually wake up at 4:30 am, take a pre-workout, hit the gym at 5 am, eat, shower, get the kids out the door, sit down for 5 minutes at 8 am, and then do a reading. I was reading my blood pressure with my arm straight but not elevated high enough. The doctor asked me to try different times of the day and to avoid caffeine beforehand. It can change the blood pressure readings by up to 15 mm Hg and stay in my system for hours.

Since I made the change, my readings have been below 125. I am going to continue to work on diet/weight loss to reduce the need for any pills. Thanks again.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I spoke with my doctor, and we discussed current and prior readings. The bottom line is- I needed to measure myself correctly.

My doctor explained that measuring myself after I had worked out, taken a hot shot, and used a pre-work substance could throw off the readings. She also recommended I take my measurements with my arm straight and my elbow at heart level.

I usually wake up at 4:30 am, take a pre-workout, hit the gym at 5 am, eat, shower, get the kids out the door, sit down for 5 minutes at 8 am, and then do a reading. I was reading my blood pressure with my arm straight but not elevated high enough. The doctor asked me to try different times of the day and to avoid caffeine beforehand. It can change the blood pressure readings by up to 15 mm Hg and stay in my system for hours.

Since I made the change, my readings have been below 125. I am going to continue to work on diet/weight loss to reduce the need for any pills. Thanks again.
I made the same mistakes first time measuring myself and was spazing all over this thread.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
3 grams tmg powder a day brought me down 6-8 systolic points

buck

Reaction score
Reading how and why to do things before one actually puts things into action is often the best way to go i find.

956Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Really enjoy the synergy of low dose telmisartan and nebivolol, although my prescribers give me slack (preferring to max out telm or something before jumping to the cocktail w/ beta blocker)

New Threads