Green energy and electric cars

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Biggest scam going (along with RONA) and of course our "no oil America" under Pervy-Joe the Pant-Shitter's team. So we buy it elsewhere, I guess those countries are not part of the globe? Then pay to have it shipped and all the extra-emissions, etc?? Pure retards the Demturdz :cautious:

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Electric vs fossil fuels aside. I do like the idea of fewer moving parts, and I already know how to write programs to flash my ECU with.

Plus instant-torque is just fun.

Again, I have no comment on the green energy portion. Just talking from the perspective of a guy who loves cars and also loves tech.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
The other problem with electric cars is that lithium-ion has a finite supply on planet earth. These crazy fookers think they are going to mine it off asteroids next.

I won't even get into California being the first state to ban ICE vehicles in 2035 when their electric grid as it currently stands cannot even handle summer. Imagine if EVERYONE had a freaking electric car to charge...

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
The other problem with electric cars is that lithium-ion has a finite supply on planet earth. These crazy fookers think they are going to mine it off asteroids next.

I won't even get into California being the first state to ban ICE vehicles in 2035 when their electric grid as it currently stands cannot even handle summer. Imagine if EVERYONE had a freaking electric car to charge...
They are already looking at things like sulfur batteries. Which supposedly have a range of 900+ miles. Sulfur is much more abundant than lithium.

Again, I just find the tech interesting.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Electric vs fossil fuels aside. I do like the idea of fewer moving parts, and I already know how to write programs to flash my ECU with.

Plus instant-torque is just fun.

Again, I have no comment on the green energy portion. Just talking from the perspective of a guy who loves cars and also loves tech.
I like the instant torque perspective offered by an electric motor. 100 percent of the torque available at the first turn is great for pulling away from a red light!

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I like the instant torque perspective offered by an electric motor. 100 percent of the torque available at the first turn is great for pulling away from a red light!
Yep.. the supercars now are starting to go electric rotor for starting off the line or in low gear situations and then flip to high power combustion motor once the roll gets going.

I'd love to own something like that one day. Maybe something I'll look into if there's ever a lot car developed that can leverage both techs.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
They are already looking at things like sulfur batteries. Which supposedly have a range of 900+ miles. Sulfur is much more abundant than lithium.

Yes, but they are still Lithium-sulfur as of now... That pesky finite Lithium supply will still be a problem unless they find a way to replace that part of the equation...

Hughinn

Reaction score
Yes, but they are still Lithium-sulfur as of now... That pesky finite Lithium supply will still be a problem unless they find a way to replace that part of the equation...

Exactly.

And i think that's exactly the point.

Nobody is opposed to green energy. Nobody.

I think it's in everyone's best interest that green energy is developed. I don't think anybody disagrees with that.

But like @Send0 points out, the technology is very interesting. Its just not to the point where it can replace fossil fuels right now. And it will probably never completely replace them.

Cost vs return vs pollution and environmental degradation, green energy technology right now is nowhere near where it needs to be to replace fossil fuels. And we pursue these technologies for political reasons instead of developing new technologies because politicians make money selling the technology we have.

The technology is what will ultimately drive the change. Not the politics amd fashionable trends of the day.

We should all be interested in the technology. Because without it, we're spinning our wheels

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love technology and I'm not a tree hugger. I didn't read the total post....short attention span, but electric is the future...lithium is the current future. I play around modifying my golf cart with elect. mods. DC/AC conversion, lithium set up $$. My daily RAM consumes about $150 in gas every week, current prices. So I am toying with electric on my terms. Peace.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
I love technology and I'm not a tree hugger. I didn't read the total post....short attention span, but electric is the future...lithium is the current future. I play around modifying my golf cart with elect. mods. DC/AC conversion, lithium set up $$. My daily RAM consumes about $150 in gas every week, current prices. So I am toying with electric on my terms. Peace.

Nothing wrong with electric cars.
Its currently bad for the environment
It will continue to become worse for the environment as so called "Renewable" energies become more prevalent

Reaction score
Too bad "Nuclear bad"
Fucking idiots lol
Nuclear/uranium/SMR tech is the next big thing. My uranium stocks are doing quite well.

My Dad is convinced that the whole industrial scale solar and wind fad is just a convienent, quick buck scam to usher in a zero carbon nuclear grid.

"Well...gee.. the solar and wind farms just didnt pan out. So we're going to go with nuclear...." all the green, lib opposition will simply fall in line and support it.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread so far. But solar industry expert with 13 years involved checking in.

Planning on reading this thread later tonight

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Swiper.

Elite
Reaction score
The federal government pays up to $7500 per electric vehicle.

Are you happy that your tax dollars goes to paying for other peopled electric vehicles?

just like taxes it’s another form of theft by our government stealing from one person and giving it to another.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread so far. But solar industry expert with 13 years involved checking in.

Planning on reading this thread later tonight

.Interested to see you chime in
Some buddies of mine in solar for a long time all tell me
"Need batteries bud, lots, 100% efficiency, then we are fucking golden"

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
.Interested to see you chime in
Some buddies of mine in solar for a long time all tell me
"Need batteries bud, lots, 100% efficiency, then we are fucking golden"
It's highly dependent on your priorities and location.

Most systems are what's called "grid interactive" meaning they are tying into the utility grid to utilize the transformers. Eliminating the need for costly batteries.
Anything that you over generate gets backed into the grid and the utility company provides a credit to your account, that you will either cash out at the end of the year, or will cover your usage on lower generating months (the winter)

Batteries come in handy for places that have varrying usage rates, such as more expensive during certain hours of the day or certain months because they allow you to more selectively take advantage of WHEN you're using your generation.
Another use is for places that have unstable grids (lose power easily, storm prone areas, or places that have rolling blackouts or brown outs)
The final main use for battery systems is for "islanding" this is when you use the battery system, and it's transformer, to completely isolate from the utility grid. We see this done where the cost to bring utility lines in would be too costly in remote areas.
In most suburban areas islanding is actually illegal or requires extensive approval process.

Tldr; batteries are great for certain usages, but if you live in a suburban area, with a fixed usage rate, with a stable grid, then they are just really expensive decorations.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
It's highly dependent on your priorities and location.

Most systems are what's called "grid interactive" meaning they are tying into the utility grid to utilize the transformers. Eliminating the need for costly batteries.
Anything that you over generate gets backed into the grid and the utility company provides a credit to your account, that you will either cash out at the end of the year, or will cover your usage on lower generating months (the winter)

Batteries come in handy for places that have varrying usage rates, such as more expensive during certain hours of the day or certain months because they allow you to more selectively take advantage of WHEN you're using your generation.
Another use is for places that have unstable grids (lose power easily, storm prone areas, or places that have rolling blackouts or brown outs)
The final main use for battery systems is for "islanding" this is when you use the battery system, and it's transformer, to completely isolate from the utility grid. We see this done where the cost to bring utility lines in would be too costly in remote areas.
In most suburban areas islanding is actually illegal or requires extensive approval process.

Tldr; batteries are great for certain usages, but if you live in a suburban area, with a fixed usage rate, with a stable grid, then they are just really expensive decorations.

What I mean was
Without serious batteries of the future...
There still needs to be. backup power in the grid
Nuclear, Goal, Gas etc
When its raining, when its nighttime... snowing etc.

That Solar literally cannot be a be all powerful source unless storage.. wether it be hyper efficient in homes or what not.

Great source, but cant be a mainstay

New Threads