An opinionated view on the essential tools required for beginners to start a training program

Reaction score
An opinionated view on the essential tools required for beginners to start a training program

Hello People,

As a beginner a few years ago, I wasn't privy to good quality advice about what were the absolutely essential tools required to start bodybuilding. So, for those lost in the waste swathes of information out there not knowing what to start off with (as I was when I first started training), keep reading. For most others, I'd imagine, move along!

N.B One tool you absolutely do NOT need as a beginner is testosterone. You will NOT gain any extra benefits using steroids at this stage. Concentrate on a very good diet, an outstanding training regime, and plenty of sleep on the nights before you workout and the nights of your workouts.

1. Camera
If you don’t have a reference for what your body looked like before you started working out, it's surprisingly difficult to appreciate how much your body has changed over time. The camera in your smartphone is perfectly fine.

2. Gripper
A weak grip makes it increasingly difficult to perform exercises as you progress to heavier weights. It results in prematurely reaching strength plateaus on many of your exercises. The importance of building grip strength is well known in the sport of powerlifting but it is oddly missing from almost all beginning bodybuilding advice. Specifically, an underdeveloped grip makes it hard to perform heavy upper back, trapezius, and forearm exercises. A weak grip forces tension into your forearms, which consequently have difficulty sustaining the stress of a full workout. This makes it hard to finish all your exercises with proper form.
Each gripper you buy will have a fixed force, and most brands have three force levels. Men with average-sized hands should start with the trainer level. Women with average-sized hands grips should start with the guide level. Work your way through to the next two levels, if necessary.

3. Body tape measure
You can use a body tape to detect if you are failing to gain muscle after each workout.

4. High-end scale
You'll need to know your body weight to calculate the calories you should eat per day.
Beware: this will set you back about $100 (but they are well worth the price) and they measure body fat and graph your weight change over time.

5. Blender
You'll be blending protein powder with milk or water a lot, amongst other things. So investing in a very good brand will go a lot further than a cheaper one.

6. Magnet weights
Magnet weights help you when you have a hard time lifting heavy weights. On most gym equipment, weights increase in 5lbs (2.2kg) increments. This is historically arbitrary; just because you lifted 20lbs in a previous workout doesn’t mean that you're going to lift 25lbs the next time you step into a gym. Sometimes we can only increment by 2.5lbs, and that's fine! This is where 1.25lb or 2.5lb magnet weights come in: They are small magnets that attach to weights to increase their heaviness by 2.5lbs or 1.25lbs. Keep one on you at the gym so you can slap it onto a dumbbell, barbell, or rack when a 5lbs increment is too heavy. If you're using a dumbbell, you can slap a 1.25lbs magnet weight on each side to increase by a total of 2.5lbs.

7. Protein
You will need between $70-$100 a month in protein supplements. Take whey protein if you’re not lactose intolerant or vegan. Otherwise, take rice protein. Rice protein is as effective as whey protein thanks to its balanced amino acid profile. The effectiveness of casein protein is open to a lot of debate within the scientific community, so best to stay away from it as a beginner.

8. Creatine
Only men need this; research shows women don't benefit much from it. Research is inconclusive about how creatine actually improves muscle size gains, but what is conclusive is that it does.

9. Citrulline malate (optional)
Citrulline malate has been demonstrated to significantly increase the volume of sets (we’re talking an extra 50%) you can perform in a workout session. So, in those months where you're working on your cuts, it'd be a good idea to take this. There is no benefit to taking CM when not performing high-intensity, high-set workouts.

10. A gym pass!
Unless you're (1) a loner and (2) very rich, you're better off training in the midst of other bodybuilders in a well-equipped gym. In my experience nothing beats the friendliness of a gym.

11. Weightlifting belt
A lot of experienced weightlifters use it at all times when they're inside a gym. It is remarkable how easy it is to pull a back muscle when you doing something as mundane as lifting a (light) dumbbell from the floor to its station!

12. Weightlifting gloves
This will help with your grip and will protect the skin on your palms.

13. Rucksack
Sounds obvious, right? They're much better at holding things like weightlifting belts, gloves, magnetic weights, etc. than (plastic) carrier bags!

That's it...I think!

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you a female

Reaction score
Am I in the wrong place? This man, edwin, didn't offend anyone, did he?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Most would make their first post an introduction. I'm sure a few would find that some of your items are not needed for a beginner.
Do

Reaction score
You may have offended some by suggesting you NEED whey protein and lifting gloves (bitch mittens) among other things.

Gosh! The heavy price one pays for being a newbie to a forum. (Joke.) I guess I lack etiquette, but I'm a fast learner. Thanks for that.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nah Edwin. No offense taken. These ain't the type of dudes that like to wear gloves and count their asparagus (for the most part). Most the dudes here have ripped hands, callused backs, and shitty rice burner cars.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello People,

As a beginner a few years ago, I wasn't privy to good quality advice about what were the absolutely essential tools required to start bodybuilding. So, for those lost in the waste swathes of information out there not knowing what to start off with (as I was when I first started training), keep reading. For most others, I'd imagine, move along!

N.B One tool you absolutely do NOT need as a beginner is testosterone. You will NOT gain any extra benefits using steroids at this stage. Concentrate on a very good diet, an outstanding training regime, and plenty of sleep on the nights before you workout and the nights of your workouts.

1. Camera
If you don’t have a reference for what your body looked like before you started working out, it's surprisingly difficult to appreciate how much your body has changed over time. The camera in your smartphone is perfectly fine.

Not a bad idea

2. Gripper
A weak grip makes it increasingly difficult to perform exercises as you progress to heavier weights. It results in prematurely reaching strength plateaus on many of your exercises. The importance of building grip strength is well known in the sport of powerlifting but it is oddly missing from almost all beginning bodybuilding advice. Specifically, an underdeveloped grip makes it hard to perform heavy upper back, trapezius, and forearm exercises. A weak grip forces tension into your forearms, which consequently have difficulty sustaining the stress of a full workout. This makes it hard to finish all your exercises with proper form.
Each gripper you buy will have a fixed force, and most brands have three force levels. Men with average-sized hands should start with the trainer level. Women with average-sized hands grips should start with the guide level. Work your way through to the next two levels, if necessary.

Useless IMO. Also pretty sure the forearm is involved heavily with grip. You seem to suggest otherwise and this leaves me confused. Rather than spend money on grip tools just hold two ten pounds plates in a pinch grip a few times for as long as possible. Grip develops very quickly. Much faster than muscle growth. So perhaps some wrist straps would even be smarter. Just don't overly rely on them.

3. Body tape measure
You can use a body tape to detect if you are failing to gain muscle after each workout.

Nah. A scale would work better IMO. A scale combined with a mirror is all you need here.

4. High-end scale
You'll need to know your body weight to calculate the calories you should eat per day.
Beware: this will set you back about $100 (but they are well worth the price) and they measure body fat and graph your weight change over time.

Again not needed at all. The body fat measurements on these are wildly inaccurate. Just use the same scale over time.

5. Blender
You'll be blending protein powder with milk or water a lot, amongst other things. So investing in a very good brand will go a lot further than a cheaper one.

No you really don't need this or protein powder. Hell even if you want protein powder a shaker will suffice and can often be had for free with a purchase at most online stores.

6. Magnet weights
Magnet weights help you when you have a hard time lifting heavy weights. On most gym equipment, weights increase in 5lbs (2.2kg) increments. This is historically arbitrary; just because you lifted 20lbs in a previous workout doesn’t mean that you're going to lift 25lbs the next time you step into a gym. Sometimes we can only increment by 2.5lbs, and that's fine! This is where 1.25lb or 2.5lb magnet weights come in: They are small magnets that attach to weights to increase their heaviness by 2.5lbs or 1.25lbs. Keep one on you at the gym so you can slap it onto a dumbbell, barbell, or rack when a 5lbs increment is too heavy. If you're using a dumbbell, you can slap a 1.25lbs magnet weight on each side to increase by a total of 2.5lbs.

I don't even know what this is. Is it those things you can stick to a stack on a machine? How about don't use linear progression instead.

7. Protein
You will need between $70-$100 a month in protein supplements. Take whey protein if you’re not lactose intolerant or vegan. Otherwise, take rice protein. Rice protein is as effective as whey protein thanks to its balanced amino acid profile. The effectiveness of casein protein is open to a lot of debate within the scientific community, so best to stay away from it as a beginner.

This is absolute horseshit. Please just post your spam link now and get it over with so I can ban you

8. Creatine
Only men need this; research shows women don't benefit much from it. Research is inconclusive about how creatine actually improves muscle size gains, but what is conclusive is that it does.

Lol I love sexist supplementation. Wtf dude women don't generate energy in some different fashion than men. Horseshit.

9. Citrulline malate (optional)
Citrulline malate has been demonstrated to significantly increase the volume of sets (we’re talking an extra 50%) you can perform in a workout session. So, in those months where you're working on your cuts, it'd be a good idea to take this. There is no benefit to taking CM when not performing high-intensity, high-set workouts.

No it doesnt.

10. A gym pass!
Unless you're (1) a loner and (2) very rich, you're better off training in the midst of other bodybuilders in a well-equipped gym. In my experience nothing beats the friendliness of a gym.

A basic home gym can be put together for short money. Space more than cash is usually the factor. Excellent gains can be had with a barbell a rack and a bench. I haven't used a machine in probably 5 years during which I made my best gains.

11. Weightlifting belt
A lot of experienced weightlifters use it at all times when they're inside a gym. It is remarkable how easy it is to pull a back muscle when you doing something as mundane as lifting a (light) dumbbell from the floor to its station!

Belts don't protect from injury. Your brain does. Belts assist in lifting more weight and only if you know how to use it. Totally not needed for a bodybuilder

12. Weightlifting gloves
This will help with your grip and will protect the skin on your palms.

Dude... what the ****. No. Just no.

13. Rucksack
Sounds obvious, right? They're much better at holding things like weightlifting belts, gloves, magnetic weights, etc. than (plastic) carrier bags!

I don't know what a rucksack is. I use a luggage bag thing that my wife got from free with Marlboro points. Looks boss.

That's it...I think!

I inserted some comments above.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nah Edwin. No offense taken. These ain't the type of dudes that like to wear gloves and count their asparagus (for the most part). Most the dudes here have ripped hands, callused backs, and shitty rice burner cars.

Count their asparagus lololololol

T

TriniJuice

I put magnet weights on my Weiner. This is a long lived tradition in Africa and those kneegrows have enormous weiners

You start with american magnets than move up to tortoises and crocodiles....

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Na, you're fine..I think. You kind of ran into a buzz saw with that being your first post. You do have some good points and I hope that was well thought out on your own and not an internet cut and paste.

I'll help you out because that's the nice kind of guy I am. Post up some noods of a former GF and all will be forgiven. Trust me.....

if she gave good head and liked anal i would...

God damn beat me to it!