I need belt help

Reaction score
I have the 10mm Inzer lever version. Took time to adjust to after my thinner belt (less like a corset and more like a frame around you that is really only "there" when you brace). The lever is much better than wrestling with buckle prongs.

I rolled mine back and forth under my foot a lot to speed up the wearing in, which helped.

Your brother is probably rotating the belt to put the end spot (double thickness drops to single) where it digs into him less. My one design improvement to the belt would be to taper the thickness at the end to make this spot more comfortable.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Comfort is not a factor with a thicker lifting belt. As others said, there is 100% a break in period for thick belts like that. He's going to have to man up and get used to it and goes without saying make sure he's wearing it properly.

Also a lifting belt is not to provide "support" like a black brace or those belts movers/warehouse workers wear. It's there to provide something stronger than your abdominal wall to brace with.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
The things people bitch about these days. I still use the same Inzer belt I’ve had for 20 years. Never once did I think about comfort. I wore it cause it helped me lift more. End of story. You were right Nissan. Tell your brother to stop bitching and learn to use the damn thing. Have you wrapped his knees yet? That’s probably another battle you’re gonna have to fight as well. Lifting gear isn’t supposed to be comfortable. It’s supposed to help you lift more.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First time I lifted in a powerlifting belt I hated it. It felt like a steel barrel. I eventually got used to it, but also found that I some fit better than others. There are the thick leather ones of course (thinking inzer), but there are also some nylon ones with more give. Spud makes one

Regardless, if this is his first belt than he is probably newish to training and feeling awkward enough as it is. Let him feel it out. A BB type belt might even be good enough for where he is and even one as simple as a Velcro nylon one might get him used to the general feel of wearing one.

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Tell him to get an inzer or pioneer 10mm belt and to shut the fuck up and break it in.

Shit I'm still breaking in my pioneer 10mm lever and I've had it awhile now. Just doesn't leave as man red marks

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Here's a decent vid that isn't too long sit down and watch it with him. It will give him an idea what a belt does and how to use it.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I used a belt like the first two years of working out. They are for guys who don’t want overdeveloped hips and obliques from DL’ing and I hear it keeps your waist narrow (). I haven’t used a belt in 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
He's gonna go pet an Armadillo after that speech...

Bow to Lepper Messiah

[edit] - you can catch leprosy from touching or holding an armadillo. They have a bacteria that lives on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I use a 10mm belt but i could see how some people might find it too thick. Try to trade it for a 6-7mm belt.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
You helped him with breathing but that's not the same as bracing. He needs to learn how to do. Also, belts are an aid to help create more IAP.

They should be worn tight, but you shouldn't crank it tight. Have him get a 10mm lever, since he wants a lever. Pioneer makes a great 10mm stock lever belt.

And before he belts up, he needs to learn to brace and shouldn't wear his belt till he gets around 80% of his 1RM.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
The Inzer 10mm lever is what I gave him for xmas.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
The Inzer 10mm lever is what I gave him for xmas.

That's a good belt. It is a bit uncomfortable to wear in the beginning, but he'll get used to it and in time it'll break in and soften up a bit.